Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First Snow of the season!

Posted
Usually here it is November that we see the earliest snow. It may well have happened in October, but I can't remember.

For the last two years we've had a dusting of snow in mid-November (around the 17th and 18th):

18th November 2005

And I can't find a photo from last year ;) Silly Catch ;)

yep silly you

saint :)

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Thought this would be a good time to bump up this thread, we may see snowfall in Inverness or Aberdeen this week.

Posted

I recall having snow on the 3rd October 1994 in Middlesbrough town centre, which gave a light dusting on the top of the Moors, notably Guisborough Moor. The reason I remember was because the following day was my first day at University in Lancaster and my mum had taken me shopping to get a sensible coat. En route to Lancaster, all the tops above Swaledale were covered and so were Whernside and Ingleborough above 1500ft. So that was rather early, all things considered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Just because summer was below par does not mean that winter will be bad. We all know this yet, this time I think it will be bad despite logic or reason :):):)

Posted

Well one thing is certain I`ve never seen the white stuff in september.

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_06_UTC/66_30.gif

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_12_UTC/66_30.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9

Guest Viking141
Well one thing is certain I`ve never seen the white stuff in september.

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_06_UTC/66_30.gif

http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_12_UTC/66_30.gif

I can certainly remember snow in September. When I was a kid I lived just south of Aberdeen and we had snow mid Sept in either 76 or 77 cant quite remember exactly. Not much it has to be said, just a couple of showers.

Posted
Mid to late october never seen it in october before would be weird to me :)

leicester has a habbit of getting the first few snow showers in november. On net weather extra november has been showing below avarage for ages in the long range raw forecasts but this week just to annoy me it is now showing slightly above avarage. Id post a chart but not sure if i'm aloud to.

As for the first snow as far as I am aware there was snow on the peaks last week in inverness with the freezing level lowering to 600m at one point.

But that said at the altitude of some of the peaks in aviemore for example I'd have thought you could get snow for most of the year. If the setup was right.

When you think the cloud tops of a hurricane are around -90 degrees at least.

Edited by snowmadchrisuk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

it would be good if i see any snow at all in winter 07-08 here im only 76m asl and way too far inland, highest hills of scotland may see snow tues-thurs 25-26 sep

i really cant see any snow at low levels at all in winter 08 in inland central southern england

Posted

Why Mark do you know what the weather is going to be like all winter? we have people hanging the winter before it's even begun.

Posted

My earliest memory of snow was late October 2000, i suspect Disco-Barry also saw some then given that he is quite close to me...

This year i think 7th October for an English location.

Posted

well looking in f1 land to-night it could be oct 11 when we see the first snow this year <_< :cold:

Posted

If the current high retrogresses west and north later next week and a reload of arctic air comes our way, I think the chances of early snowfall on low ground for Scotland come the second week of october could be quite high.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather
it would be good if i see any snow at all in winter 07-08 here im only 76m asl and way too far inland, highest hills of scotland may see snow tues-thurs 25-26 sep

i really cant see any snow at low levels at all in winter 08 in inland central southern england

How on Earth can you say that!? Even with a record breakingly mild winter last year (06/07), much of southern England saw snow. There is no way AT ALL that anyone can write off chances of snow this winter, forecasting anything over 5 days becomes doubtfull, so how anyone can decide what exactly synoptics are going to do in months to come is beyond me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

For the Tyne & Wear region, the first snow of the season usually happens in December. On my weather records going back to 1993, only in 1994, 2002, 2004 and 2006 was there no snow cover in either November or December, and the 1994 and 2002 instances were both followed by a wintry start to the following year.

Snow cover in November happens occasionally (1993, 1995, 1996, 2001, also 1998 and 2005 in some inland parts of the region) but cannot be relied upon.

From the stats I've seen, November snows are slightly less common in the Norwich area, as temperatures during northerlies tend to be higher. The northerly of 17-19 November 1999 was an exception though- parts of East Anglia woke up to a snow cover early on the 18th, while in the North East, showers were mostly of rain or hail, except for one heavy shower around midday on the 18th which turned to wet snow.

Posted

Thank you, sorry for the off-topic.

If the current high retrogresses west and north later next week and a reload of arctic air comes our way, I think the chances of early snowfall on low ground for Scotland come the second week of october could be quite high.

On the GFS run now it's showing some snow for northen scotland area for the 11th october which is the second week of october.

Although some changes are likely by the next run it looks pretty interesting, I wonder if it will continue to show that weather...?

Regards.

Posted
But that said at the altitude of some of the peaks in aviemore for example I'd have thought you could get snow for most of the year. If the setup was right.

I reckon that on the summits of the highest Scottish hills you could get snowfalls in any season. Can anyone confirm this?

But to have a permanent snow cap, you'd probably need to be looking at peaks of over 1500-2000m (this is a guesstimate), of which there are none in the UK.

Posted
For the Tyne & Wear region, the first snow of the season usually happens in December. On my weather records going back to 1993, only in 1994, 2002, 2004 and 2006 was there no snow cover in either November or December, and the 1994 and 2002 instances were both followed by a wintry start to the following year.

Snow cover in November happens occasionally (1993, 1995, 1996, 2001, also 1998 and 2005 in some inland parts of the region) but cannot be relied upon.

From the stats I've seen, November snows are slightly less common in the Norwich area, as temperatures during northerlies tend to be higher. The northerly of 17-19 November 1999 was an exception though- parts of East Anglia woke up to a snow cover early on the 18th, while in the North East, showers were mostly of rain or hail, except for one heavy shower around midday on the 18th which turned to wet snow.

Qouting an older winter TWS I would go back to November 1965 which in Newcastle was the snowiest I can ever remember,we had 3 snowstorms in a week culminating with over a fall of around a foot, I would however doubt that the coast suffered anything like we folk further inland as I believe all the falls were fairly marginal as far as temperatures went.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Well around these parts I always say get bonfire night out of the way before looking for snow, (5th Nov) it has never snowed before this date in my living memory. The earliest snow showers have turned up mid Novemeber, not usually settling on lower ground though except for one occasion in the early 90s, I was away on that day and was extremely surprises that about 1cm of snow had settled around here. Dont get much more then that in Winter these days in S East London.

I dont like looking at juicy charts (that would have produced cold and snow in a Winter month) in early Autumn since the patern always changes come Nov/Dec time and I end up thinking what a waste!

Posted
Qouting an older winter TWS I would go back to November 1965 which in Newcastle was the snowiest I can ever remember,we had 3 snowstorms in a week culminating with over a fall of around a foot, I would however doubt that the coast suffered anything like we folk further inland as I believe all the falls were fairly marginal as far as temperatures went.

Picture from Nov 1965 at Woodland,Co Durham.

Snow at Woodland

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Edited by Tucco