Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

when will the rain stop?

Posted

Impressive stuff, wettest summer in Living Memory and second Wettest May - August ever. Still a week to go, looks like we may get some more rain after the weekend so good chance of overtaking 1828.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

3.2mm short of being the wettest summer on my records here ( back to 1963 ) and somehow, looking at the models, I don't think it will manage it.

T.M

Posted
3.2mm short of being the wettest summer on my records here ( back to 1963 ) and somehow, looking at the models, I don't think it will manage it.

T.M

Surely not a blow up in the home straight? The meteorological equivalent of failing to dip for the line?

Philip Eden's article last week discussed the wet summer. I was surprised, wet though it's been (albeit disproportionately due to a few very big events rather than sustained wetness), how far shy of the all time records we were for summer across the UK. This may also be a reflection of spatial variation this year: I'd like to see the isohyets for this summer because I'd hunch its somethign of a hotch-potch comapred with a normal summer.

Posted

yes looking forward to that on the R Met Soc news sheet when it comes out.

Incidentally for those who receive that there are some quite interesting comments about rainfall this summer and 'so called' records with the Met O being commented on!

Posted
yes looking forward to that on the R Met Soc news sheet when it comes out.

Incidentally for those who receive that there are some quite interesting comments about rainfall this summer and 'so called' records with the Met O being commented on!

Are you at liberty to elaborate a bit John? Sounds intriguing.

Posted

I'll drop them a line and see if its okay to quote.

Posted

for FS and anyone esle interested.

The CE of R Met Soc gave approval to show this.

Its the 'news' page of the latest R Met Soc publication - 'Weather'

It comments on the floods of this summer and also makes an interesting comment about 'records' with a mild admonition, in my view, of the Met office.

For anyone interested and with £56 to burn its well worth the 12 monthly ouput with some pretty interesting articles and not overly technical.

post-847-1188325965_thumb.jpg

Posted

how we doing on the lists of wettest Augusts, Summer, May - Augusts Mr Data? I know its been dry the last few days but theyre has been an odd bit of rain here or there, has the total changed?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

So summer 2007 can go down as one of the wettest of all time.

Did we not end up as the wettest June on record. And also one of the wettest July's on record.

I think Summer 2007 could end up at or near the top for various different records?.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Quite amazing that we've achieved such a wet summer considering how much drier August has been. I've recorded only 18mm this month and I can't remember the last rain we had. It seems we've been in a dry spot as Philip Eden's site has around 60mm this month.

Posted
Quite amazing that we've achieved such a wet summer considering how much drier August has been. I've recorded only 18mm this month and I can't remember the last rain we had. It seems we've been in a dry spot as Philip Eden's site has around 60mm this month.

And likely to remain in one for a while now. The odds, as expected, are now on a rather dry early autumn. May make for some spectacular scenery.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Yes a very dry month around 25mm here and if September is another dry one I think we'll fail to set a new record for us.