Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible FC near Bridgwater, Somerset?

Posted

Hi folks, well an intresting day weather wise in my neck of the woods and this subject deserved its own thread I thought :lol:

Been out in Brean most of the morning with lovely warm sunshine, then this little beauty showed up across the bay over/near Bridgwater (possible Cannington/Combwich?)

As far as I can make out it looked very much like a FC dropping out of a very stormy sky - it was the only torrential looking shower in the area.

Please bear in mind I caught it on my mobile phone camera - although it has a 3.2 megapixal camera but it only has digital zoom.

What do you folks reckon? obviously it was to far away to observe any rotation but it did drop very suddenly before retreating back up into the cloud within a minute or so.

post-3345-1183909289_thumb.jpg

This was the storm the 'possible' FC dropped from

post-3345-1183909345_thumb.jpg

post-3345-1183909387_thumb.jpg

and these two photos show what i believe to be a FC

I must add that no other scud was visable below the cloud line if you know what I mean.

(As I mentioned earlier the camera was at full digital zoom so quality is very grainy in parts)

Edited by tornadomanuk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Pity about the quality (not your fault at least you tried :D )

I think you have a FC there, your description ads weight to it as well IMO.

Well done :lol:

Russ.

Posted

It certainly looks like a FC instead of scudd. Very organised and smooth looking. Nice capture considering.

Posted

Maybe you should change your name to FunnelCloudManUK :lol: .

Looks great, the Bristol Channel is a perfect area for them too.

Posted
I used to live in Cannington. I used to live in Somerset. Any guesses as to how annoyed/envious I am right now?

Sorry Wibs, cant help but smile!!

BTW just sent a report to Torro

Posted
I used to live in Cannington. I used to live in Somerset. Any guesses as to how annoyed/envious I am right now?

Its nice to see some people suffer the same luck as me sometimes, if only to remind me that the situation is normal and I am not exceptional :lol: Sorry for laughing but you have made me feel good :D

Russ

Posted

Tissue :lol:

Posted

Hi Torn

The only Funnel Cloud I have ever seen was in the same area as you are - but in those days digital cameras did not exist!

Well done, although I can't make the FC out on your pics because of the quality, I am not suprised that you have seen a FC as here on the Blackdowns (not that far away) we have had 2 showers today and the rain has been unbelievably heavy (with very large raindrops) when they have occured.

dl

Hi folks, well an intresting day weather wise in my neck of the woods and this subject deserved its own thread I thought :lol:

Been out in Brean most of the morning with lovely warm sunshine, then this little beauty showed up across the bay over/near Bridgwater (possible Cannington/Combwich?)

As far as I can make out it looked very much like a FC dropping out of a very stormy sky - it was the only torrential looking shower in the area.

Please bear in mind I caught it on my mobile phone camera - although it has a 3.2 megapixal camera but it only has digital zoom.

What do you folks reckon? obviously it was to far away to observe any rotation but it did drop very suddenly before retreating back up into the cloud within a minute or so.

post-3345-1183909289_thumb.jpg

This was the storm the 'possible' FC dropped from

post-3345-1183909345_thumb.jpg

post-3345-1183909387_thumb.jpg

and these two photos show what i believe to be a FC

I must add that no other scud was visable below the cloud line if you know what I mean.

(As I mentioned earlier the camera was at full digital zoom so quality is very grainy in parts)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

LOL- have you not had many thunderstorms in Cumbria then? Had a lovely one here this morning. *runs for the hills* (damn, there aren't any). :lol:

Very nice capture TornadoMan, it doesn't surprise me, the showers were quite violent earlier on.

Edited by Somerset Squall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
That's right... rub it in and make me feel even worse.

No, I'm a bit starved of action up here *wail*

I'm sure you'll get some thundery activity this Summer, after all the weather is far from settled, and this being the case in Summer means there is bound to be more thundery spells in the near future, hopefully up your way. :lol:

Posted

Stuck another photo of the storm that produced the FC - It isn't zoomed in so much clearer (although it doesn't show the FC).

Looks an angry beast

post-3345-1183923113_thumb.jpg

post-3345-1183923321_thumb.jpg

Judging by the photos above it looks as though the FC dropped from the right of the cell were the rain seems to stop?

Edited by tornadomanuk