Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cows doing more damage than 4x4?

smith25

Posted
Cows could be doing more damage to the environment than four-wheel-drive cars, scientists have warned.

Methane emissions from cattle account for a quarter of the gas in our air and researchers are trying to find a new way to feed cattle which leads to less belching.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20070710/tuk-...nt-dba1618.html

.... Very strange

Guest Viking141

Well if thats the case Im making a huge contribution to fighting GW - Im eating the cows! Mmmm steak!

:whistling:

Posted

Cow burps? Pah.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/newton/askas...iron/ENV074.HTM

Although I do think chopping down large tracks of tropical and subtropical forests for cattle production is doing a lot of harm and needs to be reversed.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

I got knocked down by a cow once, sure if it was a 4x4 i'd not be here now..!! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
4x4 cars don't do much damage anyway, we should focus on the big causes of CO2 emissions I think, even though I despise those things, not because they emit CO2 though.

Only Hippies & Communists "despise" 4wds :lol:

Posted

23yrs ago I told a group of first formers (is that what you call 13yr olds here?) that exact thing and that it was going to melt the ice caps. I got laughed out of class, including by the teacher.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
Although I do think chopping down large tracks of tropical and subtropical forests for cattle production is doing a lot of harm and needs to be reversed.

Very much agree. I think chopping down those rainforests is one of the most obvious examples of 'unsustainable development' in existence!

Posted
Only Hippies & Communists "despise" 4wds :rofl:

Who says stereotyping is dead :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
Who says stereotyping is dead :blush:

Is that when you use 2 fingers to type????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

I agree that for those who almost always drive in the city they are ridiculous and dangerous to pedestrians, but in rural areas (especially upland areas that tend to see more snow) they are a good thing. The bad reputation that 4x4s get in wintry weather is mainly due to typical British poor winter driving; if used properly a decent 4x4 (e.g. a Land Rover NOT one of those broad-bean-shaped Korean things) is brilliant in snow and ice.

Posted

Always makes me wonder how the planet coped when there were millions of buffalo roaming the earth ...?

Think the answer to this lies in the feed, which was the thrust of IGER's research I guess. We're stuffing the ruminants full of food that digests too fast.

As for 4x4's ... having spent the last 3 weeks driving to work down extremely muddy lanes and across pools of water in rural Devon, and with a little'un on the way, I'm seriously thinking of getting one. That's when I'm allowed to buy things like that again, which is another story.

Posted
Always makes me wonder how the planet coped when there were millions of buffalo roaming the earth ...?

Think the answer to this lies in the feed, which was the thrust of IGER's research I guess. We're stuffing the ruminants full of food that digests too fast.

As for 4x4's ... having spent the last 3 weeks driving to work down extremely muddy lanes and across pools of water in rural Devon, and with a little'un on the way, I'm seriously thinking of getting one. That's when I'm allowed to buy things like that again, which is another story.

If one thing get me it's incomers who drive (well, 'drive') vast 4*4's, expect the locals to do the reversing in our lanes ('cos they can't I rekon), and then look down on you as they pass. Twots!

Smaller 4*4's I can live with, but the big ones, ugghh...

Posted
If one thing get me it's incomers who drive (well, 'drive') vast 4*4's, expect the locals to do the reversing in our lanes ('cos they can't I rekon), and then look down on you as they pass. Twots!

I know exactly what you mean ... those BMW5 thingys are particularly annoying! You see them all heading back to London on a Sunday afternoon from places like Chagford. Fortunately we're just enough off the beaten track here (near Holsworthy) to avoid some of them.

My Devonian credentials are either through marriage (4th generation Devonians) or lineage - my family name originates from Devon. Hope that means you weren't aiming at me!!! lol.

Posted

But how many times do I have to ditch my Honda 4x4 to make way for a farmer in his Defender boldly driving down the middle of the road because he's married his sister and I've only lived here ten years?

Posted
But how many times do I have to ditch my Honda 4x4 to make way for a farmer in his Defender boldly driving down the middle of the road because he's married his sister and I've only lived here ten years?

You're making me laugh far too much today ...

CRV I take it ...?

It's true actually I have to admit that some of the locals are complete lunatics on the roads. I went to Launceston with an old Devonian handyman and made the terrible mistake of telling him we didn't have a huge amount of time. He drove at up to 70 mph (no lie) down narrow lanes with me screeching at him to slow down, to no avail. He couldn't see what the problem was.

Posted

Aye...it's a CRV. It fits three kids in the back with their child seats, takes a holiday's worth of luggage and isn't unnecessarily big. I'm never going to take it off road, other than the verge when the aforementioned inbred drives by, so it copes with everything it has thrown at it. Living where I live, I think it's a reasonable choice.

Posted

I got a 4x4 Mitsubishi, its a brilliant car well built and will deal with floods and anything else GW can throw at it. Seriously they make a good value car you can get them for peanuts now, they last forever so depreciation is not a factor and running costs are offset by saving yourself thousands on not buying a new car which will halve in value in 2 years.

When it comes to cows with the worlds population expected to grow to 8 billion in the next 20 or 30 years you can expect more of them as we need more food!

Posted
I know exactly what you mean ... those BMW5 thingys are particularly annoying! You see them all heading back to London on a Sunday afternoon from places like Chagford. Fortunately we're just enough off the beaten track here (near Holsworthy) to avoid some of them.

My Devonian credentials are either through marriage (4th generation Devonians) or lineage - my family name originates from Devon. Hope that means you weren't aiming at me!!! lol.

Nope, I'm just first generation (but I like geology as well...).

Posted
http://www.jeep.co.uk/jeep/vehicle.aspx?ID=709,32

This is my beast (well the wife lets me drive it if I'm good) - squirrels fall from the trees as we cruise past :D:D

Each to their own I agree, but I think it's a ghastly re designed box van of a thing that I wouldn't be seen dead in ('that good eh?' ;) ). Still a few less squirrels is never a bad thing...

Posted
Each to their own I agree, but I think it's a ghastly re designed box van of a thing that I wouldn't be seen dead in ('that good eh?' ;) ). Still a few less squirrels is never a bad thing...

I feel quite embarassed on the school run, it's better suited to gunning down Gooks in Fallujah. Roof mounted machine-gun not listed in the access' list unfortunately :D:D