Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible link between traffic pollution & storm development

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Ok, my 1st thread so bear with me....Whilst driving home tonight, a most unusual thought/scenario occured to me, namely, is there a possible link between areas of concentrated traffic and thunderstorm development given the right atmospheric conditions. My ideas are as follows: Numerous times when browsing the forum, I have seen posts of t-storm development along various 'motorway corridors' eg M4 & M6, my normal assumption being that naturally occurring areas of wind convergence due to the type of air mass/local geography aid localised 'lines' of enhanced convection giving rise to showers and thunderstorms, however is it possible that heat build up from shear number of traffic exhaust & engine fumes etc in a concentrated area could enhance local convection enough to give rise to thunderstorms developing?....In this scenario, any development would probably rely on a negligible amount of lower level wind.....As I said, an unusual thought, but is it plausible??...Any feedback would be much appreciated, even if to say its a dumb thought!

Posted

Have never thought about that, guess it could be an interesting research topic.

Maybe along similar lines to the Urban Heat Island (UHI) effect that quite often causes storms to explode as the cloud passes London.

Posted
Have never thought about that, guess it could be an interesting research topic.

Maybe along similar lines to the Urban Heat Island (UHI) effect that quite often causes storms to explode as the cloud passes London.

Yup, there is a theory that extra condensation nuclei from pollution helps develop and intensify cells over urban areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Lady's and gentlemen :D May I present Fawley petrochemicals establishment, near Southampton and the New Forest.

post-4726-1184782793_thumb.jpg Demonstrating that making the fuel adds to the weather on an industrial scale, let alone using it :D

Regards,

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

is this the reason for catalytic converters? aren't they supposed to reduce the convection by cooler exhaust fumes been emiited?

Posted

Good point Mick, but how many cars actually have them and does it actually work..

Somewhere there must be records of thunderstrom report around the areas stated..

Maybe there will be a linked to busier days and thunderstorms.. Also times of days e.g Rush hour..

Posted
is this the reason for catalytic converters? aren't they supposed to reduce the convection by cooler exhaust fumes been emiited?

Cats convert the fumes into nice, safe, CO2 ........ :)