Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heavy rain/storms Thurs 19/7 - Sat 21/7

Posted

An update from the floods environment agency currently:

- 6 Flood Warning

- 42 Flood Watch

I think they are getting prepared for tomorrow. Covering them selfs maybe!

I think they are being too pessimistic. I don't think there will be widespread flooding tomorrow. Most places will be able to deal with the rain and I feel there will be less falling than predicted. Some localised flooding is possible though.

Quote me if you want!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
I think they are being too pessimistic. I don't think there will be widespread flooding tomorrow. Most places will be able to deal with the rain and I feel there will be less falling than predicted. Some localised flooding is possible though.

Quote me if you want!

The EA Warnings only in part relate to the weather - they also relate to the amount of water these catchments already contain (a lot locally), the state of the defences (which haven't had time to be shored up yet in places) and the ability to move water about the system to produce extra capacity. If these elements are unfavourable, it takes only moderate amounts of rainfall to present problems. The Agency are probably erring on the side of caution, but rightly so IMHO.

The EA Warnings only in part relate to the weather - they also relate to the amount of water these catchments already contain (a lot locally), the state of the defences (which haven't had time to be shored up yet in places) and the ability to move water about the system to produce extra capacity. If these elements are unfavourable, it takes only moderate amounts of rainfall to present problems. The Agency are probably erring on the side of caution, but rightly so IMHO.

Indeed, I am taking that into consideration. They are right to err on the side of caution, but me myself, my hedge is that this won't be a very severe event. May be wrong though.

This amount of rain seems to remind me of the Easter Floods of 1998 on the River Ouse, would anyone be able to point me in the direction of archive maps going back to around that time. The set up is probably rather different however I seem to remember very heavy rain all day with thunderstorms.

thanks

Posted
Still cannot see where all this rain will be coming from.(yet)

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

just looking at the radar now things are hapening in the channel

Edited by tinybill

Posted
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

just looking at the radar now things are hapening in the channel

Yes things are starting to happen, and by looking at the current radar looks as though the action is a little more west than first thought??

Posted
maybe the Thames will overflow and flood London , causing billions of pounds worth of damage and thousands of deaths........

but then, maybe not! :)

I apologise! It was supposed to be a light hearted, tongue-in-cheek, comment so ridiculous that people would see it for what it was - ridiculous. Sometimes these things get lost in translation on messageboards, i guess. There's no way that would ever happen because of a rain event, everyone knows that.

sorry, just feeling the need to make a ridiculous comment after a hard day at work. sorry that everyone's so serious!

love

James

Posted

It appears to me from the sequences that are being run on the Beeb that the rain will run up the country relatively quickly. I just wonder whether this event is being over played just a little, because of the recent extreme rainfall event in Yorkshire. Maybe there's an element of "playing it safe" in terms of warnings - though i agree its better to be safe than sorry - but 4 inches, does seem a lot to forecast - surely that must be with embedded thunderstorms? though not much mention of these yet.

Posted

definatly some heavy rain for me and my area local tv and radio say heavy rain from midday onwards and say it will also be very thundary :) but 50mm upwards for my area i dont belive or should i any one help how much i should expect

just heard on bbc news there has there been flash flooding in n.yorkshire again

Edited by saint

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Very strange here this evening, started to cloud up around 8 pm. I know it had started to get dark, but it was completely black atleast 45 mins to an hour earlier than yesterday evening. The clouds had a certain evil look about them, the air is heavy and the breeze is extremely light and variable. Think this is the calm before the storm! :)

Edited by SnowJoke

Posted
Very strange here this evening, started to cloud up around 8 pm. I know it had started to get dark, but it was completely black atleast 45 mins to an hour earlier than yesterday evening. The clouds had a certain evil look about them, the air is heavy and the breeze is extremely light and variable. Think this is the calm before the storm! :)

it could be the calm before the storm, if it was it would be quite cool!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Metcheck are currently forecasting 77.9mm rain for Cheltenham tomorrow - more than rain I've ever seen forecast before on there for here or anywhere else I've checked the forecast for!

Edited by 03jtrickey

Posted
Metcheck are currently forecasting 77.9mm rain for Cheltenham tomorrow - more than rain I've ever seen forecast before on there for here or anywhere else I've checked the forecast for!

Metcheck is not the most accurate site so i would take that lightly. Tomorrow will be interestin and i be hear thinking what the fuss is all about? :cc_confused:

Posted

77.1mm forcast for here tommorrow. Damn, thats alot of wet stuff :cc_confused:

Posted
77.1mm forcast for here tommorrow. Damn, thats alot of wet stuff :cc_confused:

just saw an enormous flash to east of me that lit up about a quarter of the sky. woooah.. reallly evil thunderstorm developing.

seems to be south east of basingstoke , roughly 20 miles away. rumbling is stil going on as i write.

Posted

Not quite sure which way the cells below the SE (in the channel) are moving? It appears to be either straight N or a little NNE...

Edited by RisingStar

Posted

flashes getting more frequent. just saw a lovely lightning strike - but cloud to cloud , rather than cloud to ground.

doing the "1.2.3.4..." counting between flash and sound , i got up to about 10. not sure how that translates into miles away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
flashes getting more frequent. just saw a lovely lightning strike - but cloud to cloud , rather than cloud to ground.

doing the "1.2.3.4..." counting between flash and sound , i got up to about 10. not sure how that translates into miles away.

About 2 miles.

Posted

I'm gonna shoot the person who closed that thread! Just as I uploaded my last picture too! I'm not gonna write all what i put again :cc_confused:

post-1583-1184879751_thumb.jpg

post-1583-1184879814_thumb.jpg

post-1583-1184879859_thumb.jpg

post-1583-1184879950_thumb.jpg

post-1583-1184880012_thumb.jpg