Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

same temp but feels different?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

good afternoon all, This may seem an obvious question, so forgive my ignorance.

Why some time does the same temperature feel so different?

To explain, some evenings the temperature is lets say 18 degrees. One evening my partner and I can sit indoors, warm relaxed and comfy. The very next evening it's the same temp yet we have to have a jumper on or a throw over us. Why? It is especially noticable at this time of year.

Is it to do with humidity? if so why/how?

Your learned thoughts much appreciated!

regards woody.

Posted

partly that but also the dewpoint. Its that which has a large effect on how we 'feel'

Posted
partly that but also the dewpoint. Its that which has a large effect on how we 'feel'

Thanks john, but could you explain how that works? ie why does the dewpoint make us feel different.

many thanks

woody

Posted

The windchill in winter and humidex in summer are included on the netweather forecasts to illustrate how warm/cool it actually feels.

Posted
The windchill in winter and humidex in summer are included on the netweather forecasts to illustrate how warm/cool it actually feels.

thanks paul, I understand that, but how/why does it make you feel that? Why in summer does it have a different effect then in winter. Is it say your body heat dissapating differently in hi water content?

woody

Posted
Thanks john, but could you explain how that works? ie why does the dewpoint make us feel different.

many thanks

woody

If the air is moving then your body will adopt nearer the dew point rather more than the dry bulb due to perspiration effects, this tends to lower the body temperature on the surface thus making you feel cooler. No wind and the effect is less marked.

Posted

In Summer temperatures are generally warmer so humidity and dewpoint comes into play more and affects the speed at which sweat can evaporate from your body. The higher the humidity the less sweat can be evaporated, making it feel warmer or 'closer'.

Once temperatures get below about 12c, windchill comes into play, which effectively has the opposite affect, cooling the body quicker the stronger the wind is.

Posted
In Summer temperatures are generally warmer so humidity and dewpoint comes into play more and affects the speed at which sweat can evaporate from your body. The higher the humidity the less sweat can be evaporated, making it feel warmer or 'closer'.

Once temperatures get below about 12c, windchill comes into play, which effectively has the opposite affect, cooling the body quicker the stronger the wind is.

John and paul many thanks for expalining. I think I undersatnd now.

woody