Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Great White shark spotted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

So another sighting of a possible Great White Shark. This seems to happen every year now, could there be something in it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...all/6920345.stm

A recent program I saw asked the question 'why are they not here?' We have an abundant food supply and the water isn't too cold.

Is it just a matter of time before someone gets definitive proof that these animals are cruising our waters?

What implications would this have on the cornish tourist industry I wonder?

What do you think?

Edited by azores hi

Posted
So another sighting our a possible Great White Shark. This seems to happen every year now, could there be something in it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...all/6920345.stm

A recent program I saw asked the question 'why are they not here?' We have an abundant food supply and the water isn't too cold.

Is it just a matter of time before someone gets definitive proof that these animals are cruising our waters?

What implications would this have on the cornish tourist industry I wonder?

What do you think?

I'm pretty sure sharks worldwide are in trouble, being fished towards extinction - so perhaps we should welcome a sighting?

Trouble is it's not a sighting it's a 'sighting'. Was it a GWS? Pound to a penny says not imo. It's funny (in a 'oh really?' kind of way) how often these sightings 'sightings' are wobbly or distant or out of focus or small or a currant bun exclusive....

Nope, betting is a they were sharks either Basking or species that look somewhat similar.

But, I'd expect the GWS myth to continue if not spread.

Edited by Devonian

Posted
I think it's cobblers :blush:

Yeah, that's the one sentence reply :lol:

Posted
I think it's cobblers :blush:

I would think it's cobblers if it wasn't plausable. I think it it likely that from time to time GWSs have wandered into our waters but the fact is that they are very rare indeed. I would have thought that you would be very very lucky to see one, but I do think it's possible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I think if you look to the South African waters (esp. around the 'horn') where they happily hunt in waters as cold, if not colder ,than ours then you will understand a little better that these waters are fine for a GWS to hang around in........personally I think it was a Megaladont........

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

I never said it wasn't possible, just don't believe these sightings.

It's like UFO sightings. They only ever get spotted by rednecks or people who couldn't focus a camera to save their lives.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
I don't see why it couldn't be.

What? A Megaladont????

Posted

Well the bloke on Breakfast this morning whilst snuggling up to that woman with the make up and blond hair - was 100% certain it's a Basking Shark. So if the BBC say it isn't, then...

Posted
I never said it wasn't possible, just don't believe these sightings.

It's like UFO sightings. They only ever get spotted by rednecks or people who couldn't focus a camera to save their lives.

That's not the greatest comparison in the world if you think about it. I assume by UFO you mean an alien craft rather than something simply unidentified?

The difference is that the presence of the Great White in the Bay of Biscay has already been confirmed, and we know that they are migrating north like a lot of marine species. The Cornish coastline is only a few hundred miles further north.

So whilst this sighting may not be true, to dismiss it simply as cobblers isn't particularly clever. It could easily be true, and if the GWS isn't here yet it probably will be in the next two decades.

Edited by West is Best

Posted
So whilst this sighting may not be true, to dismiss it simply as cobblers isn't particularly clever. It could easily be true, and if the GWS isn't here yet it probably will be in the next two decades.

I believe I said it was possible. Just that I thought it was not a Great White in this case. :blush:

The UFO comparison was not intended to be taken seriously. But there is always one.

Posted
You're brave WiB!

lol :lol:

I believe I said it was possible. Just that I thought it was not a Great White in this case. :)

The UFO comparison was not intended to be taken seriously. But there is always one.

Your opening contribution to the debate was to describe it as cobblers. If you don't want things to be taken seriously how about writing a little more carefully, or stopping to think first even?

It could have been a GWS. Not sure how we will know for certain very easily unless one is caught.

Posted

Hmmmmm... I can think of few NW members who I might invite for a paddle off the Isles of Scilly.

Posted
What troubles me is that if it is confirmed (and come on, chances are they're swimming our waters (no reason they can't)) the fear mongering etc will be a big problem. Probably best it remains unconfirmed. I'd hate to see these truly amazing creatures hunted out of our waters.

There is at least one nutcase out there who is trying to catch one in our waters and has been trying to do so for the last ten years. I hope he has plans to catch and release!

Posted
Hmmmmm... I can think of few NW members who I might invite for a paddle off the Isles of Scilly.

Haha - I'm only gently teasing Flaggy!

Joking aside, we good folk down this way have been awaiting a GWS for a few years. No reason why they won't turn up this way in the next 20 years, and may well already be here. Not really 'cobblers' ...

Posted

Me too :lol:

And WiB, if you read properly I said I thought the reports were cobblers. It was my opinion. To which I am entitled as much as you. I will be delighted to be proved wrong, I think GWS are beautiful creatures but I think the two pieces of footage show a basking shark and a mako.

I hope someone manages to obtain stable, in-focus footage. It would help greatly. :)

Posted
It was my opinion. To which I am entitled as much as you.

Yes I managed to get that meaning first time believe it or not! Still think you shot a bit from the hip ... not that I ever do anything like that of course :lol: (by the way, philosophically I don't think an opinion is valid simply because it's an opinion - it can still be, well, cobblers no?!)

Dunno about footage. Takes me back to the whole Nessie thing. I suppose it would help, as would photos, but will the sceptics settle for anything less than a bite mark (which I think is incontrovertible?) or an actual catch?

Edited by West is Best

Posted
Yes I managed to get that meaning first time believe it or not! Still think you shot a bit from the hip ... not that I ever do anything like that of course :lol:

Of course not! Tell me who said you would! I'll get em for you! :)

For the record I'd rather remain in the dark than someone catch it :)

Posted

Ok, assume now that it has been proven, what then? Do we take measures to protect it? Certainly people will want to catch it, should we let them?

What should the Cornish tourist industry do? Shark nets?

There would be (IMO) huge outcry if the animal was destroyed but also there would be some people who would rather not have a ruddy great big shark prowling the beaches when they are trying to sell rubber rings and surfboards to the kiddies.

Posted
South Africa seems to cope quite well.

Yes, they use shark nets to protect bathers, a policy which is under review due to the high toll on wildlife.

See here

Posted
South Africa seems to cope quite well.

Pretty sure I'm right in saying that they catch more Great Whites inside the nets than outside them ... :lol: The nets are arranged in a sort of staggered pattern rather than a total enclosure (think that's policy in most places).

I was once swimming at Durban, as you do, and suddenly a coastguard helicopter swooped in next to me circling round and round a few feet above the water just a few yards from where I was swimming. It didn't take me more than a second to suspect what was going on. Never swum so fast back to shore in my life. Might have been nothing, but I'm pretty sure they'd spotted a big shadow under the surface. Yikes!

Edited by West is Best

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
I was once swimming at Durban, as you do...

Yes, of course, I'm always swimming in Durban! :) :lol:

In all seriousness, my suspicion is this case is basking shark. The footage I saw didn't show a view down into the water which would have made IDing the shark more reliable.

Posted
Hmmn - there is a small town Cornish policeman with the safety of his fishing village and family at the forefront of his mind. The local council/mayor think he is crazy. No GWS around here *scoff scoff*

He sets off with the local 'sea dog' fisherman and his marine biologist friend to trawl the waters off our south western shores, ladling tuna and herring scraps overboard.

What does he find off the coast of Dawlish...???

Tamara

:lol: ha ha,yes I think I can hear the music now. dern um...... dern um...... dernudernumdernumdernum