Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Great White shark spotted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Basking shark and/or Porbeagle - (two bits of footage looked like different species to me) would be the guess of the marine biologist that works in the pod opposite mine.

Yes, White Sharks could survive in our waters and yes the odd one could appear as a vagrant, but we are talking about one of the world's rarest fish here........

There is a population little known about and poorly understood living in the Med, so there's probably others we don't know about.

Posted

There is no reason why the occasional Great White won't make a visit to our shores. After all; the temp gradients\profiles in the Atlantic are changing and hence this is likely to change food distribution and predator-migration too eventually.

The Sun claims to have footage: -

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,11021-2...454282868116339

:lol:

Posted

In reckon it's bloke from the Tourist Board in a shark suit. All this bad weather's kept the holidaymakers away, and in a desperate attempt to fill up the local hotels they've resorted to this !!

Posted
Well the bloke on Breakfast this morning whilst snuggling up to that woman with the make up and blond hair - was 100% certain it's a Basking Shark. So if the BBC say it isn't, then...

...obviously the BBC hack with an NCTJ out-ranks the shark expert with a degree in marine biology!

This is the "silly season" and you couldn't get sillier news.

As the BBC article suggests it is probably a Porbeagle shark, or a Basking shark, which can be identified by their distinctive fins

Posted

If there's one thing more guranteed than the appearance of a Great White Shark off the British coast it's the knowledge that you can rely on AF to add a note of reason to any thread ... B) :o

Whilst this may or may not be a false rumour, with or without motives*, there's no reason why a GWS won't be seen around British waters sometime soon, so comments like 'cobblers' and 'silly' need to be tempered a little.

*Not sure I entirely follow your logic TUNA (TUrned out Nice Again ... I can't see enough people flocking down to the beach to gaze at a distant fin really, especially as the weather is turning glorious here again. We need them on the beaches now ...

Posted
*Not sure I entirely follow your logic TUNA (TUrned out Nice Again ... I can't see enough people flocking down to the beach to gaze at a distant fin really, especially as the weather is turning glorious here again. We need them on the beaches now ...

Thousands did when a whale was spotted up the Thames. A GWS is the ultimate maritime/pelagic "Spot" as far as myself & many others are concerned. Was lucky enough to cage dive off the coast of Cape Town about 8 yrs ago - nearly messed my wetsuit, a truly awesome & terrifying experience. One I'll never forget, the GWS was only a tiddler at a mere 15ft !!

Posted
Whilst this may or may not be a false rumour, with or without motives*, there's no reason why a GWS won't be seen around British waters sometime soon, so comments like 'cobblers' and 'silly' need to be tempered a little.

When and if it's proven to be a GWS I may temper my response until then I shall make my own mind up thankyou.

Posted
Thousands did when a whale was spotted up the Thames. A GWS is the ultimate maritime/pelagic "Spot" as far as myself & many others are concerned. Was lucky enough to cage dive off the coast of Cape Town about 8 yrs ago - nearly messed my wetsuit, a truly awesome & terrifying experience. One I'll never forget, the GWS was only a tiddler at a mere 15ft !!

Er, yes, but I think you've overlooked the fact that whereas swimming isn't a popular pastime in the River Thames it happens to be a fairly constituent part of the Cornish tourist industry. The Jaws synopsis, as Tamara amusingly reminded us, had the tourist board ignoring the warnings. No-one in the tourist board down here wants to make too many noises about Great White's off the coast - at least certainly not for the sake of it. Whilst it might attract a few shark spotters, we don't want to clear our beaches of ordinary tourists thanks very much ...

When and if it's proven to be a GWS I may temper my response until then I shall make my own mind up thankyou.

Not really the point I was making. Just suggesting your initial response of 'cobblers' wasn't too bright. You seem to have been back-tracking ever since. Like you, I'm probably dubious as to whether this one was. Unlike you, I'm not being daft enough to rule it out willy nilly ... although I think willy was a whale. There's absolutely nothing silly (edit willy nilly silly - it's too much) about the idea of a Great White turning up off our shores. They have been seen in the Bay of Biscay just a few hundred miles away. Plenty of studies have shown the migration of marine species further north, so it follows the Great White may well be moving up our shores ... where the food is the Great White may be, and the sea temperatures are no longer likely to be an obstacle.

Edited by West is Best

Posted
Not really the point I was making. Just suggesting your initial response of 'cobblers' wasn't too bright. You seem to have been back-tracking ever since. Like you, I'm probably dubious as to whether this one was. Unlike you, I'm not being daft enough to rule it out willy nilly ... although I think willy was a whale.

Not back tracking at all, whatever you might hope. I didn't believe it was a GWS this morning. I still don't tonight. Can I make my opinion any clearer? B)

Posted
Not back tracking at all, whatever you might hope. I didn't believe it was a GWS this morning. I still don't tonight. Can I make my opinion any clearer? B)

Ah, I had the impression you regretted your first post. If you didn't, you should have.

Posted
In your dreams Sweetheart. B)

You in my dreams? Nightmares I think you mean!

So, to follow through the logic of your approach: everything is cobblers until proven otherwise. Not much area for grey in your life is there?! You know the sort of thing: might be right, might be wrong; weighing things up; pros and cons.

Edited by West is Best

Posted
So, to follow through the logic of your approach: everything is cobblers until proven otherwise. Not much area for grey in your life is there?! You know the sort of thing: might be right, might be wrong; weighing things up; pros and cons.

You know what? It was in The Sun so it must be true! I've had an epiphany. I've seen the light! Praise the Lord!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
There is no reason why the occasional Great White won't make a visit to our shores. After all; the temp gradients\profiles in the Atlantic are changing and hence this is likely to change food distribution and predator-migration too eventually.

The Sun claims to have footage: -

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,11021-2...454282868116339

:o

Well that's a wonderfully clear view... B)

Posted

Actually I agree with Tamara - it would be fantastic in some ways. I suppose to be truthful it's less the swimmers they'll be worrying about as much as the surfers ...

My impression the last few years is that there's something of a reaction against the Great white shark love-in of late. First there was the JAWS period which lasted many years i.e. that sharks are evil. Then came the backlash, that we've painted the GWS unfairly and they're not really that dangerous. My impression the last couple of years is that there's been a bit of a counter-move that actually Great Whites are fairly voracious and not to be messed with. Thoughts anyone?

Posted

well i would,nt want to poke one in the eye and tell it was COBBLERS

just in case it decided to chew on my cobblers

i do so like the word cobblers

Edited by blackdown

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I would love to see a great white off of the Isle of Wight, it would even sound good B)

It does not seem that busey at the moment at the holiday places near by, I reckon in this day and age it would get the young adrenalin monsters here in there thousands!

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

yeah

headline

GREAT WHITE IN ISLE OF WIGHT SIGHT FRIGHT LOCAL MAYOR CONTRITE AS TOURIST GETS BITE, HOLIDAYMAKERS IN FLIGHT,LOCAL FISHERMAN SMITES GREAT WHITE,EVERBODY CHEERS IN DELIGHT

Edited by blackdown

Posted

Here's the fin of a Great White

fin1.jpg

Now look at the fin of the Sun footage

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007350269,00.html

Now look at the fin of the porbeagle shark

porbeagle1.jpg

And the fin of the gentle giant, the basking shark

shark_fin_450.jpg

I'm not convinced that its a Great White.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

Well, it's obviously a porbeagle or basking, but, hey, it's the silly season so it makes good newspaper filler. Indeed, if the most scant of evidence leaves people open minded (despite the vanishingly unlikelyness of it being a GWS) then it's no wonder people also 'see' Monster and space aliens. Yet, you present people with evidence for something they don't want to believe and? Yup, they dismiss it :doh: Humans, sometimes they're so...

GWS - my ar

Edited by Devonian

Posted
Me no believe it. Very much doubt Great Whites will come all the way to our chilly waters and the evidence is hardly conclusive. Video doesn't look like one either.

Magpie....our waters in summer are easily warm enough for Great Whites to enter and feed in. Also, there have been a considerable amount of sightings of Great Whites off the south-west coast. Just because the shark in question here is not a Great White, doesn't negate the fact that they occasionally come here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Yes I believe the people that dismiss Great White Sharks are also the people that laugh when it is suggested that palm trees and banana trees can be grown in Britain.

Like everything else plants, and animals alike, Great Whites have a minimal, and optimal and a comfortable temperature and therefore can take hotter and cooler water temperatures.

So therefore given that temperatures on UK shores are around 17-18C off Cornwall at the height of summer, and maybe over 20C in shallow bays and coastal areas, it is therefore possible for Great White Sharks to enter these waters, especially since they are mostly clear. In winter I doubt such occurences, however I think Great White Sharks are sporadic, however do occur frequently throughout the Atlantic Ocean above around 15C temperature water, so about the level of the Azores as there normal northern boundary.

I think dismissal of Great White Sharks needs careful consideration, especially since some tropical water inhabitants to actually migrate to our cooler waters in summer.

In addition, a warm summer may produce shallow bays, such as Liverpool bay which is probably one of the warmest water bays in western Europe, with a suitable climate and plenty of food for sharks, whereby temperatures in the warmest months may reach up to 25C locally.

However, Im pretty sure the suns shark is not a Great White, unless its had its dorsal fin sanded down...

Posted
Magpie....our waters in summer are easily warm enough for Great Whites to enter and feed in. Also, there have been a considerable amount of sightings of Great Whites off the south-west coast. Just because the shark in question here is not a Great White, doesn't negate the fact that they occasionally come here.

'Fact ...occasionally, come here'. Fact? You mean 'sightings' mean it's a fact they come here? Don't sighting have to be confirmed? After all if not some old sea lag with boat trips to fill only has to say he's 'sighted' a GWS and by your rule it becomes a 'fact' they're there ;)

Or, have there been confirmed sighting of GWS in UK waters? I think not

Yes I believe the people that dismiss Great White Sharks are also the people that laugh when it is suggested that palm trees and banana trees can be grown in Britain.

Not this one. There's a palm tree in our street!

Like everything else plants, and animals alike, Great Whites have a minimal, and optimal and a comfortable temperature and therefore can take hotter and cooler water temperatures.

So therefore given that temperatures on UK shores are around 17-18C off Cornwall at the height of summer, and maybe over 20C in shallow bays and coastal areas, it is therefore possible for Great White Sharks to enter these waters, especially since they are mostly clear. In winter I doubt such occurences, however I think Great White Sharks are sporadic, however do occur frequently throughout the Atlantic Ocean above around 15C temperature water, so about the level of the Azores as there normal northern boundary.

I think dismissal of Great White Sharks needs careful consideration, especially since some tropical water inhabitants to actually migrate to our cooler waters in summer.

But there is a ocean of difference between 'therefore possible' for GWS to be here and GWS being here.

In addition, a warm summer may produce shallow bays, such as Liverpool bay which is probably one of the warmest water bays in western Europe, with a suitable climate and plenty of food for sharks, whereby temperatures in the warmest months may reach up to 25C locally.

However, Im pretty sure the suns shark is not a Great White, unless its had its dorsal fin sanded down...

Much better to 'Occam' this whole story.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
'Fact ...occasionally, come here'. Fact? You mean 'sightings' mean it's a fact they come here? Don't sighting have to be confirmed? After all if not some old sea lag with boat trips to fill only has to say he's 'sighted' a GWS and by your rule it becomes a 'fact' they're there ;)

Or, have there been confirmed sighting of GWS in UK waters? I think not

Not this one. There's a palm tree in our street!

But there is a ocean of difference between 'therefore possible' for GWS to be here and GWS being here.

Much better to 'Occam' this whole story.

Unfortunately it is worrying when humans, disputably the most intelligent species in the whole animal kingdom, cannot find out or agree whether there are Great White Sharks in UK waters.

It is possible and thats all - who has actually made the step to find out - no one ;) Unless there is a major sweep of all UK waters to find GWS they should not be so easily dismissed.

Don't get me wrong, I am open and willing to accept that they might not exist in our waters, although my problem exists with those who debunk the whole idea to start with, with no prior evidence.

Therefore we both are in the same boat of thought, just a different interpretation.