Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Great White shark spotted.

Posted

hahahaha...eh!

Sharks News

Bookie offers odds on UK shark find

Surfersvillage Global Surf News, 28 December, 2006 : - - A bookmaker is offering odds of 25-1 that a great white shark will be caught off Britain's shores in 2007. Totesport, which has come up with a series of `global warming wagers', is also offering odds of 50-1 that the Thames Barrier will be breached in London over the next decade. And the company is offering odds of 4-1 that 2007 will be the hottest on record.

Totesport's Damian Walker said: "Global warming has led to so many long-standing weather records being broken and we've been inundated with requests for unusual weather bets for 2007. "We've taken professional advice and the experts believe the possibility of a great white being caught off the shores of Britain is not as far fetched as it first sounds. "In the summer of 2003, the National Geographic reported a credible sighting of a great white shark off the coast of Devon."

The bookmaker is also offering odds of 7-1 that 2007 will be the wettest year since records began in 1659, 16-1 that it will be coldest year ever and 7-1 that the hottest temperature ever recorded - 38.5 Celsius in Faversham, Kent on August 10, 2003 - will be beaten next year. People can also place their bets on any month to be the hottest, coldest, driest or wettest on record.

also interesting reading

http://environment.independent.co.uk/wildl...icle2814748.ece

Posted

Wth....we are talking about a Great White shark (a potentially endangered species) possibly being spotted off our shores, and then people suddenly start talking about cooking?

:lol:

Posted
people suddenly start talking about cooking?

:lol:

It's mostly my fault! The discussion about other similar species led me to question one of our chief resident chefs about eating them.

I agree Tamara about the cooking thread, but just wanted to add that I absolutely adore Dover sole. When I was in Africa there was a tiny strip of Congolese coastline with a small town and one cafe literally on the beach. The fishermen would walk past with their fresh catches and sell them to the restaurant. I've never eaten sole meuniere like it - sublime!

Back more on topic, I think I've eaten shark fin. Mrs WIB definitely has.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
snap :lol: I have found a couple of those links as well !! Thanks for your info :)

Fish are delightful to cook with because of their simplicity. As long as they are fresh (and not overcooked :lol: ) it is best to let their natural flavours come through tbh and not get involved with any complex flavours. I get lovely Dover Sole here very fresh from the seafront and have simply seasoned and lightly grilled this and served with a dab of zingy lemongrass butter, rice and and lightly stir-fried fresh vegetables etc. Or with a nice beurre blanc sauce with Tarragon and fresh green beans with new potatoes - likewise with Salmon (all aka Rick Stein style!)

Chunky fish like Shark, Kingfish, Tuna, Marlin etc etc are great for marinating much like meat - plus they don't fall apart when cooked.

So many ideas, ...so many cuisines, so mnay recipes, so many variations...Perhaps this is one for ACB's thread!??

:)

Tamara

Sounds delightful! Tamara, as a fish-lover, can you recommend any reasonably-priced good fish restaurants around the country for when I go on my hols, please? I'll give you a tip in return - if you ever find yourself in Southwold, Suffolk and are in the position to buy some fish for cooking rather than looking to dine out, might I recommend John's Fish Shop on East Street? If you have Rick's Food Heroes directory you might have heard about this wonderful fishmongers, but I can heartily recomend it - they do their own hot and cold smoking and I can vouch for the quality of their hot-smoked salmon steak and trout. :)

Posted
Ok....

And back on topic we go :lol:

I can't see any reason why Great Whites aren't in our waters. Whether they are or not...

grainy video it's a basking shark, god I've been at sea for years seen countless numbers of sharks

end of story unless you want to sell it to a moron in a newspaper, give me ten grand and i will show you where the teddy oggy live's , thats a Devon pasty to you & me :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

Hmmm, I'm not sure it's a porbeagle, it's eyes are too small. Then again, the shark in the Sun's picture's teeth look the wrong shape to be a GWS.

There is a chance it's a GWS as it all comes down to whether British waters could sustain a shark population. There is no problem with the water temps as Great White's are happy off the coast of South Africa and New Zealand whose waters are around the same temp as those around the UK. A GWS's principal food is seal and since 38% of the entire planet's population of grey seals are to be found around the UK then I see no reason why there shouldn't be GWS's around.

Posted

I don't read the sun cause its stories are a complete load of haggis droppings. "Shark mania" get real, thats what they want, mania, so they can sell more papers, see naive people standing on beaches in Cornwall too scared to go into the water, then have local businesses suffer due to people going elsewhere, then they will proclaim themselves the "Official Shark paper"

Sick.

btw that shark on the front of the Newquey guardian looks like a library picture of a GWS.

Posted
I don't read the sun cause its stories are a complete load of haggis droppings. "Shark mania" get real, thats what they want, mania, so they can sell more papers, see naive people standing on beaches in Cornwall too scared to go into the water, then have local businesses suffer due to people going elsewhere, then they will proclaim themselves the "Official Shark paper"

Sick.

btw that shark on the front of the Newquey guardian looks like a library picture of a GWS.

I couldn't agree more.

Posted

Sick.

Do you think maybe you're taking the story just a teeny weeny bit too seriously? Just a thought!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Yep the sun is designed to sell, and not to be taken seriously I would suggest.

I would say wait til a story comes out the Guardian or the Observer then maybe we can see whether theres any truth to it.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Allegedly The Daily Sport is publishing it's own set of sighting photos. :p

post-1596-1185973586_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Allegedly The Daily Sport is publishing it's own set of sighting photos. :o

post-1596-1185973586_thumb.jpg

I hope that not the photo, theres very little water that clear around the UK :p

Posted

I once saw a hugh shark once off the coast of cornwall about 12 years ago, not sure if it was a basking shark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
Latest photo from Cornwall - a military helicopter on a training exercise had a nasty surprise:

Thats a Basking Shark! Or maybe a large Cod, it's difficult to see from that angle. ;)

Posted
Latest photo from Cornwall - a military helicopter on a training exercise had a nasty surprise:

Wow, they've really done some work on Brunel's old bridge haven't they...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Apparently, a dead pallbeagle has been washed-up nearby, and it's thought that this was the shark that caused all the fuss.

Posted

I think dogfish are probably mistaken for GW sharks from a distance. Afterall I think dogfish is actually a type of shark, or at least related, and it looks very like the GW shark with its markings, however DF tends to be brown on its upper body.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

When I was about 15 my folks took us to Fort George which is just east of Inverness on the Moray Firth and I was stood looking out over the sea and I saw what I assumed to be a school of basking sharks about 300 yards off the coast. They were absolutely huge and I stood transfixed for about 10 minutes watching them breach out of the water again and again.

I still consider myself priveleged to have witnessed that display and it really opened my eyes to the scale of the shark.

On topic, it's a porbeagle!

I think dogfish are probably mistaken for GW sharks from a distance. Afterall I think dogfish is actually a type of shark, or at least related, and it looks very like the GW shark with its markings, however DF tends to be brown on its upper body.

I think that dogfish are quite a bit smaller that GW's Stephen. And, if I remember rightly, the markings are speckled on top. Other than that the body shape is similar.

Another sometime visitor to our shores is the Greenland Shark which is a similar size to a GW and belongs to the same family. In fact, I remember reading somewhere that the largest specimen ever caught was caught in the Firth of Tay.

Posted
When I was about 15 my folks took us to Fort George which is just east of Inverness on the Moray Firth and I was stood looking out over the sea and I saw what I assumed to be a school of basking sharks about 300 yards off the coast. They were absolutely huge and I stood transfixed for about 10 minutes watching them breach out of the water again and again.

I still consider myself priveleged to have witnessed that display and it really opened my eyes to the scale of the shark.

On topic, it's a porbeagle!

I think that dogfish are quite a bit smaller that GW's Stephen. And, if I remember rightly, the markings are speckled on top. Other than that the body shape is similar.

Another sometime visitor to our shores is the Greenland Shark which is a similar size to a GW and belongs to the same family. In fact, I remember reading somewhere that the largest specimen ever caught was caught in the Firth of Tay.

Dogfish are very small, but remember the Loch ness monster scam, people genuinely believed they had seen the Loch ness monster, and the model was only 30cm tall... :lol: However having looked a the Porbeagle, it seems that it was inded the Porbeagle without a doubt