Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

last time: western isles

Cookie

Posted

Got a question for anyone who wants to answer.

when was the last time western isles hit 30oC or above.

it might not have done but im sure it has.

thanks in advance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I remember on a TV news last year (I think) it said Dundee has just had its hottest ever day, 28C.

that makes me think perhaps the Western Isles has not reached 30C during the era of weather records.

Of course the TV news could be hopelessly wrong :whistling:

Regards,

Russ

Posted

Do these stats help?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/sta...ornowaydata.txt

No individual figures I know, but they have to be online somewhere?!

Same for South Uist I would have thought.

Posted

I was just wondering actually, what is the furthest north (in the UK) that 30C has been recorded? Possibilities I can find are Perth 32C on 12 July 1911, and Braemar allegedly 30C (but is that rounded up?) on 8th July 1976. Also another reported 30Cs at Onich, Glenlee (lots of places with that name, if it's the Angus one it's in with a chance) in July 1977, and Aberfeldy 30.3C 11 July 2005.

Having experienced temps in the mid-to-high 20s in NW Scotland in April 2003, with similar conditions in midsummer I would think 30 shouldn't be too hard to manage, but the magic 30 seems very elusive anywhere north of Glasgow at any time of year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
I was just wondering actually, what is the furthest north (in the UK) that 30C has been recorded? Possibilities I can find are Perth 32C on 12 July 1911, and Braemar allegedly 30C (but is that rounded up?) on 8th July 1976. Also another reported 30Cs at Onich, Glenlee (lots of places with that name, if it's the Angus one it's in with a chance) in July 1977, and Aberfeldy 30.3C 11 July 2005.

Having experienced temps in the mid-to-high 20s in NW Scotland in April 2003, with similar conditions in midsummer I would think 30 shouldn't be too hard to manage, but the magic 30 seems very elusive anywhere north of Glasgow at any time of year.

Onich is just South of Fort William near Glencoe and is slightly further North on the West side than Aberfeldy in Highland Perthshire which is 30 miles North West of Perth. The Glenlee mentioned is in Dumfries & Galloway so if Braemar's is rounded up Onich gets it, assuming it is not rounded up also.

I would quite like them both to be rounded up as Aberfeldy is the area I grew up in and it would be nice to have a record. :)

I was surprised that nowhere else in the Fort William area or up in the Inverewe area has reached the 30C as it can get pretty hot there given the right conditions. Skye in the Inner Hebridies can be warm also.

In some rare [admittedly colder] Summers I think the warmest UK temps have been recorded in the North West of Scotland but in the range of 28/29 degrees.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Hi Cookie

Though I have not visited Lewis for a few years my father is from Ness and while my Gran was alive I used to visit regularly and indeed lived there for a couple of years as a toddler. I have/had relatives in Bragar, Tolsta, Carloway and Point as well as Stornoway so got to know the Island quite well. From my memory and checking of midday temps from the newspaper out of interest i think that a shade temp of 25C is rare in the Outer Hebridies. The sea if ** freezing too from memory. To compensate for the lack of heat though you cannot beat the clear, bracing Atlantic air up there. Even an insomniac like my wife sleeps like a log when we visit.

Regards

Nor.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

One I've just spotted and surely must be a contender- 30.3 at Kinlochewe (further north than Braemar) on 4 July 1991- in a year when down here summer didn't seem to start until August:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119910704.gif

Blocking high northeast of UK, cloudy easterlies over England- NW Scotland sheltered, dry continental air- yes that looks the perfect recipe for a "northwest is best" scenario.

Posted
I think the highest maximum recorded for the Western Isles is 27.2C on the 30th July 1948 at Benbecula

That may have been beaten or equalled on 16 July 2003. Islay Airport in the Inner Hebrides recorded at least 27C, but less than 28C that day. I was on the island that day with my sister and nieces and they had not felt anything like it whilst living there.

Incidentally, the magnificent Islay House with its beautiful gardens is now on the market - £3million, anyone?

Edited by Nick H