Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2007/08 rumblings from Bill Giles and the ECPC (NOAA)

Damien

Posted

Nothing quite like the day after heavy snow where it remains cold enough for it to be sunny but not melt anything, not a common thing but a good thing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer
Nothing quite like the day after heavy snow where it remains cold enough for it to be sunny but not melt anything, not a common thing but a good thing.

There is one thing better....

...another day of heavy snow! :lol:

Posted

Very quiet in here this morning. So I thought we could have a laugh.

CFS Model - 25th December 2007 at 12z:

post-1217-1187262108_thumb.png

The whole winter seems to be modelled accordingly as incredibly stormy with an exceptionally mobile Atlantic...

Posted

aw shugs, this is even funnier, and only a couple of days ago that it came out, snow fans drool!

post-847-1187262328_thumb.jpg

I've decided to keep saving them when I remember just to see how many changes it comes up with.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Shall we hold a vote?! :)

Posted

on what?

will it or wont it?

but I doubt Paul would give a prize anyway

Posted

Hmmm... if those FI charts come off it will be an interesting start to September to say the least. :)

I think this poor 2007 is going to be remembered as having the most incredibly early and preemptive ramping season! :)

Yes, I did think twice before starting it, LOL.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers and Deepest darkest snows of Winter

A dream cold event!

Probably more likely to be somewhere between the two - maritime soak followed by / coincide with polar air mass. Good snow for the Black Mountains and Dartmoor. Rain for the rest of the South. North - business as usual.

Posted

Ummm... smells like February 1994. :)

Days like that.

Agreed Barry,its great when you get overnight snow and its cold enough the day after to maintain the cover.When the sun is setting on snow covered fields trees houses etc it can be a sight to behold!

Or a night when the light from the windows of the house reflect on the lying, settled, unmelting snow outside. Oh, memories.

Posted

UCL NAO Forecast for winter 2007/2008.

(You will need Adobe Reader)

http://climate.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/docs/NAO2007-8Forecast.pdf

Going for a slightly negative NAO, with a higher probability for a colder than average winter, with average precipitation in North-West Europe.

Previous NAO forecasts and verifications, going back to 1999/2000, can be found here;

http://forecast.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/for_nao.html

Edited by Gavin P

Posted

All coming together nicely for a cold February. :)

Posted

Interesting localised anomaly over Bordeaux - must be all the fermenting grapes :o

Posted

Their previous forecasts were'nt too good:

http://forecast.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/for_nao.html

However, for the purposes of enjoying the my delusion, I'm happy to foster more than a slight cold ramping desire. Schnow...schnow....schnoooooowwwwwwwwwwwww.............

Posted

I find UCL are generally pretty good at picking up the correct signal, i.e. whether the NAO will be positive, negative or neutral, but they are less good at picking up extreme's. For instance, last winter they went weakly positive, and as we know, it was very positive.

Posted

Remember March 2007? That big mass of cold and days of heavy snow which resulted in drifts over the houses rooves in Denmark? It missed us by 250-500miles. Maybe we might get our time and a big winter freeze-up? who knows?

Posted

I wish I could be that sanguine. Alas, the weather systems around our soggy isle tend to deflect Siberian fronts away.

At the time, the press was on a major ramp to support their Polar hysteria. All that did was undermine the few good Wintry days we had. :o

Looking forward to multiple hysterics and end-of-the-world headlines this winter. What happened to a measured response to the weather? It seemed to coincide with the BBC's and MetO drive about 6 years ago to publish Weather Warnings, which are now so abundant that it's difficult to sort the genuine cataclysm from the mild pitter patter of rain that we actually receive. :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
They were in the early 2000s (in some years), and the winters were all still mild, bar the odd blast (late February 2005).

I'm also a huge fan of the solar cycle, the ENSO cycle, the polar cycles, the this cycle, the that cycle, etc..

The only things that make our chances *slightly* better this year are the ENSO conditions and the recent run of below average months (the cooler summer). That's it.

Oh, and of course Bill Giles thoughts. :)

The hazel was not abundant here in the 2000s, I presume regional variation, I am close to the sea and possably have slightly different weather as I am on an island.

I find my craving for a cold winter frustrating sometimes. In fact I am nearly 42 and still childishly whine on an on about the lack of it :o . If I didn't like living here that much I would have gone somewhere there is proper winters long ago :o

I like the recent run of cooler months, that gives me and a few other people no doubt good feelings about winter.

I can live with frozen pipes and no transport for a few days, it would be an absolute pleasure :)

Regards,

Russ.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
They were in the early 2000s (in some years), and the winters were all still mild, bar the odd blast (late February 2005).

I'm also a huge fan of the solar cycle, the ENSO cycle, the polar cycles, the this cycle, the that cycle, etc..

The only things that make our chances *slightly* better this year are the ENSO conditions and the recent run of below average months (the cooler summer). That's it.

Oh, and of course Bill Giles thoughts. :o

Do you mean July?!

Has there been any average or below average winters apart from 05/06, since 2000? can't think of any

It turned quite cold at the tail end of 04/06, and then like you say 05/06. We are totally overdue a cold winter. If this summer's anything to go by then who knows we might get one?

My first post on here :o