Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Minor Earthquake in Grater Manchester

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, Windy at the coast.

My boss felt it. He came downstairs and asked me if I felt it. I didn't, as I was on the ground floor, but a wagon went past work so i thought it was that.

The last time we had tremors in 2002 you could really feel them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

2002 was a mini swarm of tremors. This one was felt as it was only 3.1miles deep at source and centred in the centre of Manchester (with lots of folk to feel it!)

Posted

That part of the NW seems to get more earthquakes on average then othe rpalces seem to, is there some minor fault running underneath this part which would cause the higher frequancy of stronger (relative) earthquakes?

Edited by kold weather

Posted
Moving it into the Science area :)

You'd barely feel an earthquake of that magnitude, unless you're right on top of it... I think :)

I don't think so but like you said if you on top of it you probably will but nothing severe.

Saying that i don't know i never experianced an earthquake and i hope i never will.

Posted
i once felt an earthquake here in st albans-wasnt there an earthquake in the south earlier this year?

saint :)

Not sure how far your memory goes back, but there was a tremor felt in St. Albans in the late 80s (though I can't remember exactly when) - I was on the phone to my brother's gf (me in central London and her in Elstree) and we both felt the Earth shake within a fraction of a second. If I'd not been on the phone to her, I'd have attributed it to the Jubilee Line, but that doesn't go as far north as Elstree. I think they said the epicentre was near Worcester.

There was a quake just off the Kent coast earlier this year, which was a bit larger than this one and caused rather more damage.

Posted
Not sure how far your memory goes back, but there was a tremor felt in St. Albans in the late 80s (though I can't remember exactly when) - I was on the phone to my brother's gf (me in central London and her in Elstree) and we both felt the Earth shake within a fraction of a second. If I'd not been on the phone to her, I'd have attributed it to the Jubilee Line, but that doesn't go as far north as Elstree. I think they said the epicentre was near Worcester.

There was a quake just off the Kent coast earlier this year, which was a bit larger than this one and caused rather more damage.

yes that is tremor i felt there was some damage here and that is the earthquake earlier inthe year thanks for helping

saint :)

Edited by saint

Tremors like this are common in the UK. 2.5 is a very weak earthquake, millions if not billions of times less powerful than the 2004 Indian Ocean one, which was 9.2. It's the equivalent of throwing a grain of sand in a pond compared to a huge boulder.

Yay, 1000 posts.

Edited by Magpie

Posted

This was something like the 130th earthquake to hit Manchester since October 2002.

Daz

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Just thought you would like to know there was another minor, unfeelable tremor in Manchester again this morning...

Earthquake

Posted

As an update from the last one, there have been 4 earthquakes since the one on the 10th, another on the 10th, and 3 yesterday! At least one was felt. I didn't feel anything, although I did wake up at about 1:30 yesterday morning.... so perhaps that was it!

Daz

LINKY QUAKEY!!

Posted
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)

Certainly a lot of seismic activity in that area lately, lets not hope that it's bulding up to something much bigger!

Posted
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem
whats causeing all these quakes? any reason or are they just natural

They are natural all right ;-)

The office where i work is 8 floors up in a building built on top of the Victoria to Croydon line. At about ten to one every day we get a rather large goods train go under the building which maked the whole office shake - now that is un-natural.... :huh:

Ned