Cold?
IGNORED

Tuesday/Wednesday's Event

SP1986

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

So far a none event here but a nice area of the rain to the South. This is looking at the moment that it move ene and miss us. Am I right over this or will it swing further North during the day??

Posted

nothing major to report here.the rain getting heavy..a few gusty winds apart from that..I dont know why there is a weather warnings out..Unless it gets worse

I take back what I said the rain is heavy now..just rearly started here

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Well its raining here but not much wind whats all the fuss about is there worst to come? :unsure: :unsure:

Edited by wizzy

Posted
Well its raining here not much wind whats all the fuss about is there worst to come? :unsure: :unsure:

I dont know wizzy...but its quite heavy here now...not as heavy as the flood days but heavy enough to cause problems if it kept up for a long time..

the radar looks interesting,some heavy pulses down here

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

There's more rain to come out to the SW and W of Ireland associated with the main low pressure system - this looks like moving NE across Ireland over N Wales, Northern England and up through Scotland this afternoon, rain likely to be heavy - especially over the hills. The rain so far this morning in the S and SW England and S Wales is associated with a triple point and warm front moving ahead of the main low.

Posted

Its already fairly heavy here Nick.F..and there is another Low behind this... the heavy rain here as kept up for about 30 mins or so

the flood rain was heavy for nearly 12hrs...I dont think this will be the same length of time. I hope

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Comments

The rainfall showing on the radar is from the warm front(s) and nothing directly to do with the low(s).

The chart below shows the positions at 00z with the areas of the main rainfall shown in red around the warm fronts.

post-847-1187077585_thumb.jpg

The 00z position was a bit faster than the T+48 prog on Sunday which had just one centre at 50N 27W centre <992mb.

Pressure falls from the buoys suggest the low(s) moving towards them but not deepening much if at all. However, the T+24 Fax shos the forward low deepening by some 8mb.

Also interesting to note that Met O have now gone back to the idea of a double centre, not that different to what GFS has been showing for several days now.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Mod.rain over the last few hours here but nothing too bad, not at all windy right now either but thats to be expected given the main depression is still out in the Atlantic right now.

Models still forecasting the tightening up of the pressure gradient on the SE side of the circulation thanks to the foward speed and developing secondary depression. Winds could be fairly gusty across the SE segment of the country tonight if this is right, 40-50mph is quite possible I suspect if the GFS is correct, big if mind you.

Front sitting across the South right now and it was fairly strong a couple of hours ago but it does seem to have weakened a little bit, still looks like a very wet August day though with another 20-30MM quite possible as the main depression swings in from the SW this afternoon

Edited by kold weather

Posted

Thanks John but you forgot the Chart. :unsure: :unsure: Ah you must have edited it as it's now showing.

Looking at the Radar it shows the rain down South weakening quite a bit from what it was early on around 07:30. Okay doke looking at the chart suggest the main thrust is still to come.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

well its heavy rain here...non stop,but nothing to be concerned about,unless it gets to say 1.00pm.Then I will be going out looking for floods.Surely this cant happen again.Just sit back and see what enfolds until then

Posted

no flooding other than very localised road flooding NOT due to rivers overflowing and no one need get worried of a repeat of the two major floods of a few weeks ago.

Posted

mm thanks John.

not worried about the river around my way..just many roads had 3 foot of water in places...3 streets away.these are far away from the rivers.And have only flooded twice before.Plus other many roads flooded which never flood.These Im concerned about as I was Island before.My garden is water logged already.

All this not to do with river.But sounds good for people by the rivers.

Posted

No sign of anything major on the Radar yet which doesn't match in with the TV forecasts. Just looking at the Net Weather EXtra forecast and the predicted rainfall amount so far is about spot on. Not bad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather
No sign of anything major on the Radar yet which doesn't match in with the TV forecasts. Just looking at the Net Weather EXtra forecast and the predicted rainfall amount so far is about spot on. Not bad.

The rain was heavy if you look on the radar about 7am, but since it has lost alot of intensity, and is now quite patchy, i've only seen 0.8mm here, I don't expect more than 3mm, unless we catch a heavy shower or two this afternoon. I don't think that many places will be seeing the 20mm which was widely forecast, and I doubt anywhere will see 50mm which was mentioned.

Posted

Latest Warnings:

Metcheck now have a severe weather warning saying 20mm to 30mm or even 50mm and 50mph gusts more LINK

Netweather weather alert issued 25-40mm and 50-60mm on hills and winds near gale force more LINK

Metoffice severe weather warning 20mm to 30mm and 50mm to 60mm also gusts of 50mph more LINK

Sea: 54mph (south west near south ireland)

Near Sea: 31mph (in most places)

Land: 31mph (or even more in some places)

Posted

you are watching the initial warm fronts, the low centres are still around 15-18W, many hundreds of miles away, along with their main fronts.

20-30mm is still very likely for many hill slopes in the west, possibly higher as the trough then also has to swing across the country.

below is the 06z position along with its track so far and my attempt to predict it from now on.

post-847-1187084456_thumb.jpg

the rainfall now showing from the Shannon radar is that leading edge.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

More rain than I expected here this morning. Heavy and persistent rain has given close to 20mm here since midnight.

No more than a breeze, like yesterday, as far as the wind goes though.

Posted

some of you might like to book mark this site,

UK Met again with the observations, many hourly, from around the coasts, including the buoys.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine.../index.html#wes

Posted

Buoy Reports

K5 Buoy North West Scotland:

Wind speed 14mph

Temp 12c

Pressure 996mb

Wave Height 10ft

M4 Buoy Northern Ireland:

Wind speed 14mph

Temp 14c

Pressure 997mb

Wave Height 6ft

M3 Buoy South Ireland

Wind speed 14mph

Temp 13c

Pressure 991mb

Wave Height 6ft

62125 Buoy North East England

Wind speed 24mph

Temp 16c

Pressure 999mb

Wave Height 7ft

62114 Buoy North East Scotland

Wind speed 16mph

Temp 14c

Pressure 1001mb

Wave Height 8ft

Pressure has fallen on buoys m3 buoy has fallen the most the low pressure is setting in.

Posted

Surprising how much further south this rain is than even predicted by our BBC National Forecast at 18:55 last night. The lovely Gail confidently predicted the rain into Dumfries & Galloway, Strathclyde by 9am and eastern Central Belt shortly afterwards, with it being particularly heavy in the west - especially in the Glasgow area and on the Southern Uplands. Forward edge of the rain was predicted to be at the Great Glen by 4pm.

Posted

The first phase is starting to creep up the Channel towards us now. Heavy rain in Mid Sussex (work) and moderate winds (can't give you specific data) with winds gusting to 35 MPH now, back home near to the coast. Suspect it will get a bit rougher later today into tomorrow but I don't think it will hit 50 MPH.