Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Are you a private weather station owner in the UK?

Hi! I am a geography student at the University of Hull and I'm hoping to collect some wind speed readings from across the UK to use as data in my dissertation. The information I need is from people who own private domestic weather stations that are attached to the roof of their houses or something similar. Please could you fill out the few questions below if you fit this description:

• What was the average annual wind speed you recorded for 2006?

• If possible, what were the quarterly wind speed averages for 2006?

Jan-Mar: Jul-Sept:

Apr-Jun: Oct-Dec:

• What is the exact location of the weather station? E.g. an OS grid reference or an address with which I can find a grid reference myself.

• Where is your weather station positioned? E.g. house roof.

• Roughly how far off the ground is your weather station positioned?

• Are there any surroundings that may affect the wind speeds your weather station records? E.g. trees, buildings, etc.

I will really appreciate any information that can be offered and anyone who has any advice that may help me it would be fantastic to hear!

Thank you very much!

Trish Hall Xxx

P.S. For anyone who’s interested I will be using this information in my dissertation to give accurate measurements of the power available to be produced by a range of domestic private wind turbines (such as the one on sale at B&Q) which I will then use to calculate the cost effectiveness of such a device and how this differs across the country.

Edited by trishhall87

Posted
Hi! I am a geography student at the University of Hull and I'm hoping to collect some wind speed readings from across the UK to use as data in my dissertation. The information I need is from people who own private domestic weather stations that are attached to the roof of their houses or something similar. Please could you fill out the few questions below if you fit this description:

• What was the average annual wind speed you recorded for 2006?

• If possible, what were the quarterly wind speed averages for 2006?

Jan-Mar: Jul-Sept:

Apr-Jun: Oct-Dec:

• What is the exact location of the weather station? E.g. an OS grid reference or an address with which I can find a grid reference myself.

• Where is your weather station positioned? E.g. house roof.

• Roughly how far off the ground is your weather station positioned?

• Are there any surroundings that may affect the wind speeds your weather station records? E.g. trees, buildings, etc.

I will really appreciate any information that can be offered and anyone who has any advice that may help me it would be fantastic to hear!

Thank you very much!

Trish Hall Xxx

P.S. For anyone who’s interested I will be using this information in my dissertation to give accurate measurements of the power available to be produced by a range of domestic private wind turbines (such as the one on sale at B&Q) which I will then use to calculate the cost effectiveness of such a device and how this differs across the country.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=...e=station;sess=

Hi Trish, try this. Welcome to NW ;)

Click away merrilly on each individual station.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers and Deepest darkest snows of Winter

Try www.wunderground.com, but be aware that this site was started in the USA. However, you'll find many UK private weather stations in addition to the numerous private airfields and RAF bases.

You may also find the following useful:

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/