Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Bats

Posted

We've got a pair of bats who seem to go through a ritual most evenings in the twilight at the front of the house. They fly up and down the front gardens making fantastic sharp turns and dives, its like watching an air show. :huh: If they are hunting, it doesn't look efficient. Anyone know what they are doing if isn't hunting? It only lasts for a few minutes before they move on.

Posted

I've always liked bats. What you've described is fairly typical of what they do, and they probably are hunting for insects.

I often see bats in my garden down by the lake and trees. They seem to enjoy dank, wet conditions.

Edited by Nick H

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

They have a kind of 'Recci' before hunting in an area to see if it's worth their while so they're probably sounding out under the trees etc for swarms of midges and the like.

Over the brighter summer 'nights' you can watch them on moth chases (against the 'bright' northern sky) and, as you say, their manoeuvrability is exceptional. Don't forget they also have this years young to 'teach' their skills to as well.

Posted

I was in Slawit yesterday by the canal and there was a Bat flying about catching bugs at around 2pm, amazing little thing, i see alot of Bats by canals/rivers which is quite obvious of to why.

Posted

I have bats at the bottom of the garden - they must live in the huge trees there .. one evening I was donw by the decking calling my cats in and they literally started swooping around in the air above me - there was two of them .. quite small, but I have to say, I don't like them .. I wouldn't harm them but I don't like them. The though of them getting caught up in my hair freaks me out something rotten, although I know a bat has highly tuned senses and is unlikely to come anywhere near me!!! ;)

Posted

Yup, Batty Bat and friends have been entertaining us in our garden for years. I love watching them and although I am nevous about the bat in the hair thing I will still stand outside to watch them. About 10 years ago I found a dead bat at the bottom of the garden and I was so upset. I buried it but I did show my step-son first so he could see how amazingly paper thin the wings were (hoping to give him an interest other than computer games, albeit a little macabre).

I went to a bat cave in Mexico about 7 years ago and it was amazing. Full of sleeping bats and smelly bat poo :) I would have loved to have seen them all emerge from the cave at dusk.

Posted

Whilst on one our outings to Chester Zoo we were lucky enough to have the 'Bat Cave' to ourselves and some of the larger 'Fruit bats were certainly ruffling our hair as they flew over/past us. Chloe (7yrs) used to be to afraid to go in because of them 'crashing into her hair but (brave little soul) came in with us and was enthralled by their whooshing around us! Maybe a cure for those affect by this batty phobia?

Posted

I'm thinking seriously of converting some old outbuildings into Offices, but I know they're home to a LOT of bats. Any suggestions ??

I could always call them Night Flying Sparrows I suppose :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
I'm thinking seriously of converting some old outbuildings into Offices, but I know they're home to a LOT of bats. Any suggestions ??

I could always call them Night Flying Sparrows I suppose :)

First off, be careful, they're seriously protected and you'll get into an awful lot of (and expensive) trouble. Is it possible to convert the buildings still leaving them with lofts for the bats to roost? There are Bat Associations all over the country, bound to be one local to you; give them a ring, they'll come out and establish which species you have and advise what to do about them, often they'll help with re-siting. Planning often insist on Bat surveys for any applications to convert out-buildings anyway, so you may as well get in first and get free advice where you can.

Posted
First off, be careful, they're seriously protected and you'll get into an awful lot of (and expensive) trouble. Is it possible to convert the buildings still leaving them with lofts for the bats to roost? There are Bat Associations all over the country, bound to be one local to you; give them a ring, they'll come out and establish which species you have and advise what to do about them, often they'll help with re-siting. Planning often insist on Bat surveys for any applications to convert out-buildings anyway, so you may as well get in first and get free advice where you can.

I'm going to list them as "Night flying Swallows" !!

Cheers for the advice Jethro :)

Posted

One of our aides lives in a farm on't tops and he's (for the first time) seen Tawny Owls actively hunting Bats at late dusk. He's seen the Owls lay ambush as the emerge/return to their roosts before but never hunting them 'on the wing' before......all that rain must've done for a lot of the new 'small an' furries' that they'd normaly be after leaving only the Bats as fodder.

Maybe put up some Owl boxes Turnrdoutniceagain?