Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

New BBC2 Forecast slot - 23:18

shuggee

Posted
I thought you may have got you'r tv red off button and the sky button mixed up :lol:

Cookie, you may have a point there, I must consult the manual.

(5 mins later) Eeeee, all this new fangled technology........when I were a lad, etc etc (TONA slips into a poor impersonation of a Monty Python sketch) :angry:

Cookie, you may have a point there, I must consult the manual.

(5 mins later) Eeeee, all this new fangled technology........when I were a lad, etc etc (TONA slips into a poor impersonation of a Monty Python sketch) :angry:

Now now, there's more than enough Spam on here already. :lol:

Posted
back on subject.

Im picking sky over the bbc more and more. Just fed of BBC's forcasts!

I find the SKY forecasts poor and confusing. At least with the beeb 3D graphics they are much better but when ever a big snow event comes along the graphics do keep sticking alot which is a disadvantage over the symbols.

I am with TWS that i am confused why if people don't understand pressure charts show them on the regional forecasts and not on the national forecasts. I can only assume that the national forecasts have to fit more detail in there time slot than the regional forecasts.

I also agree with Jackone that the BBC forecasts are the best on the box(and it should be with the liscence fee) ITV forecasts are really poor SKYS rain graphic is awful and confusing C4 and FIVE forecats i hardly watch however even only watching them a few times i don't really trust there accurasy.

I feel sadly that even if you go and beg bring pressure charts back they won't because the majority don't want to and they won't bring something back just because people who are interested in the weather want to. Its a shame we only going to see them on very few occasions but they could argue thats there pressure charts on there site if people want to look at them.

Posted
Its a shame we only going to see them on very few occasions but they could argue thats there pressure charts on there site if people want to look at them.

:angry: You've lost me there Geordie ??

Posted

Its not just the lack the synoptics that are the problem.

Look at the colour scheme. A more boring and horribile colour you couldn't find, than "tanned brown" What happened to the green and pleasent land we used to be? Theres the lack of in-depth wind analaysis (remember the old wind arrows?) The lack of colour to temperature charts. Theres nothing like showing we're in a heatwave, than putting up a map with a great big red mass heading our way from France - And by the same token, theres nothing quite like seeing a huge mass of blue heading our way from Russia, to show we've got a freeze coming. Instead of pointless and redundant "fly arounds" why not show us what the weather is doing across Europe?

And damb it, I used to like the symbols. OK, they were basic, but they were visually interesting and colourful. Certainly more interesting than chasing vague shadows and brighter spots around a colourless map!

And has anybody ever had the misfortune to watch WEATHERVIEW recently? A truely horrific experiance, if you remember what WEATHERVIEW was like say, 10 years ago. Its gone from being the jewel in the crown of BBC weather output, to being a useless, turgid waste of space. Heartbreaking to see what they've done to it.

And in the middle of this fiasco are the poor forecasters, that somehow have to put together an interesting and coherant story, day after day, while being held back constantly by the management.

The BBC forecasts are mediocre at best and criminally poor worse. Mediority rules and I suspect we're going to have to wait for severeal years before the BBC admit they've been sold a dud, and have a major over-haul. such is the arrogance and stuborness of this bloated bohemath!

Edited by Gavin P

Posted
And has anybody ever had the misfortune to watch WEATHERVIEW recently? A truely horrific experiance, if you remember what WEATHERVIEW was like say, 10 years ago. Its gone from being the jewel in the crown of BBC weather output, to being a useless, turgid waste of space. Heartbreaking to see what they've done to it.

I agree with you 100% mate

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
The biggest irony of all is that the BBC local forecasts, in my view, used to be no better than ITV's, and since the launch of the new graphics, they have improved considerably. If people are supposed to have zero knowledge of, or interest in, the weather, when it comes to national forecasts, why would they be any different for local forecasts? It doesn't add up.

Not quite sure where the "irony" is - isn't the fact that regional forecasters now have all the tools the national team have, and that regional forecasts now complement national ones - whereas, before, each forecast (national or regional) was almost the same. In some regions - the South West, for example - with sailing and/or farming communities, there is a greater understanding of weather/meteorology.

As far as the research is concerned, my understanding was that most people don't understand pressure charts fully, and some found them off-putting - so they're used more in forecasts and regions where they are of greater benefit, which seems sensible. They are also easily available online. I don't think anyone's ever claimed that people either understand them fully or not at all!