Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2007: More 25C's outside summer than inside it? Unique?

I'm going to use this to follow up my friendly bet with Dave about 25C's, and it is friendly (more in due course). But I wanted to raise something: we had a string of 25C's in April I believe. Not sure about May, but certainly having one or two again in September. So is it possible that we're going to have more 25C days outside of official summer (June, July, August) than in it this year? If so, has that ever happened before I wonder?

I'm referring to any one day on which 25C has been recorded somewhere in the UK (not Jersey and not the LWC).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Not official I know but I didn't get 25c until June 4th then we had a couple in August but not made 25c in September yet. So all my 25c+ temps have been in summer.

Posted

I doubt it, I believe that only 2 or at most 3 days in April recorded 25c somewhere, the temperatures were predominantly 20 - 22c. Dont think we had many in May and this September all this talk of highs and heatwaves is a bit of a smokescreen. I doubt we have reached 25c on more than 4 of the seven days so far and I would be suprised if we get any more after this weekend.

Highest temp this week 24C yesterday, 22C now..... doesn't look like i will record anymore temps over 25C(only had two all year) until next April/May at the earliest.

I don't think the odd spot recording just over 25C in the first week of september is anything special, the average max is 20C in the south early september, temps of 25C plus are much more notewortthy in April when the average max is only 12C/13C.

Edited by Eugene

I doubt it, I believe that only 2 or at most 3 days in April recorded 25c somewhere, the temperatures were predominantly 20 - 22c. Dont think we had many in May and this September all this talk of highs and heatwaves is a bit of a smokescreen. I doubt we have reached 25c on more than 4 of the seven days so far and I would be suprised if we get any more after this weekend.

Hmmm ... but some hard facts please if at all poss. I'm talking about a 25C recorded anywhere in the UK on a given day. We had a few in the west country in late August. We've actually had 2 this September so far, but I know we had some in April. I'm curious because I don't think we had many in June or July ... if any.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

We recorded our highest temperature in summer, 27C, twice, in June and end of July I think.

did record 25C in April too.

Posted

according to the Met office, yesterdays high was 25.4c at the Solent. The days before from memory was 24.8c.

The York uni site is not an official site I think, so any temp over 25 will not count (well in terms of Met office official stats)

At 2pm the met office has Leeming at 23.3 so that could break the 25c anyway. Looks like Yorkshire is getting the best of the weather this week again. Were bright but mainly cloudy and about 21 degrees here down south.

according to the Met office, yesterdays high was 25.4c at the Solent. The days before from memory was 24.8c.

Yes.

There were actually a number of 25C's throughout the UK yesterday, if you go through the regions. Anyway I think for my bet with Dave we're only ruling out the LWC and Jersey.

Several 24C's already today so should nick 25C again. We've got 24C just a few miles from here at Chivenor, and it's certainly absolutely glorious.

Posted

Despite living in one of the warmer parts of the country, South Northants/Bucks/Oxon borders. We have only recorded 2 days over 25 degrees this year! The first believe it or not was the 5th of August! The second the 25th of August and thats it so far! Made it to 23.5c yeasterday and today is no warmer so I reckon that may be it for this year! Remarkable, last year we had ove 25 days over 25c I think!

I thought Hawarden in Flintshire was the warmest place yesterday at 25.6C?

Peculiar - if you look at the Met O national link it shows Solent at 25.4C

24 hours ending 2200 on 6 Sep 07: UKHighest max 25.4 °C Solent

Lowest max 12.7 °C Lerwick

Lowest min 8.2 °C Sennybridge

Highest rainfall 1.0 mm Ballypatrick Forest

Sunniest 12.0 hours Camborne

Last updated: 0945 on Fri 7 Sep 2007

. Earlier they had this:

24 hours ending 2200 on 6 Sep 07: UK

Highest max 25.6 °C Hawarden

Lowest max 12.7 °C Lerwick

Lowest min 8.2 °C Sennybridge

Highest rainfall 1.0 mm Ballypatrick Forest

Sunniest 12.0 hours Camborne

Last updated: 0005 on Fri 7 Sep 2007

I'm assuming the Hawarden figure has been withdrawn for some reason.

Edited by West is Best

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

I think you have started an interesting thread Richard as i myself was wondering the same thing.

I think there`s a fair chance that by the end of September we could have a year where we get more 25c`s outside the 3 Summer Months.

The sypnotics are certainly more Summerlike for a while yet i reckon as i don`t think this Atlantic High is going anywhere fast.

Edited by phil n.warks.

Posted
Looks like we may have just nicked another 25C - at Humberside http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/reg...&PRG=detail

Not bad really in a northerly flow. If the high were to our east we'd be pushing 30C. But it isn't, so a fairly pointless comment probably!

I dont think that reading is accurate Richard. At the same time it was 21.6C here (10 miles away) and we are usually within a degree of that site. There are occasionally minor differences when sea fret moves in from the North Sea, but a 3-4C difference is highly improbable.

Posted
Looks like we may have just nicked another 25C - at Humberside http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/reg...&PRG=detail

Not bad really in a northerly flow. If the high were to our east we'd be pushing 30C. But it isn't, so a fairly pointless comment probably!

Well, the wind might be a northerly but it's not a polar airmass. The furthest north that the air has got is around the latitude of the Shetlands.

I dont think that reading is accurate Richard. At the same time it was 21.6C here (10 miles away) and we are usually within a degree of that site. There are occasionally minor differences when sea fret moves in from the North Sea, but a 3-4C difference is highly improbable.

I think it may have been genuine Reef. A number of nearby sites such as Dishforth were very close to 25C as well. We shall see in the early hours, but the Met O did mention it had been 25C again.

Evening Richard

This isn't really a northerly flow atm as such - at least in origin. The very light drift is really just air circulated all the way round the resident High (kind of M25 like! :lol: ) and has it's origins in sub tropical air between Bermuda and the the Azores - ish. No surprise that mid 70's temps are occuring.

Best example of a summer that struggled to reach 25C and didn't reach 30C was 1985. It was late September I think before consistent temps exceeded 25C that year and culminated location-wise(also ironically in terms of your bet with Dave) with a decimal point short of 30C in Cambridgeshire on Oct 1.

:)

Tamara

Thanks for the clarification Tamara, and SF later too, about the source for this. Makes sense then.

1985 sounds like a good omen. I vividly remember that winter - and the February that I constantly bang on about for its cold.

Richard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

No 25C here in Cleadon either, for the first time since 1993.

Posted
Think you were right actually Reef about the Humberside figure. My mistake.

Still, 25.6C recorded at Southampton, so that's another one lol! http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...st_weather.html

Looks like im going to lose my bet Richard.

Posted
No 25C recorded here this year, quite astonishing for the christmas pudding.

Quite astonishing full stop, considering you are in the Midlands.

I've actually recorded 25ºC twice this summer, thats a bit worse than last summer where July had an average max of 25ºC!

Looks like im going to lose my bet Richard.

:) lol. Still not quite done and dusted Dave, but I think you might just about.

I'm still really interested in this idea that we may have more 25C days recorded in the UK outside summer than inside it, but not sure how I can firm up the facts on this? It would be amazing to me, just as there's still an outside chance that September could be the warmest month of the year. Just shows how terrible summer was!

I'm liking the ECM by the way - proper dose of autumn with some real meridionality thrown in!