Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

2007: More 25C's outside summer than inside it? Unique?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

ive had 6 25oC all in summer 3 in june and 3 in aug, my highest april temp was 22.1C highest may temp 23.8oC, i cant see my area getting 25oC in september with the high in this position it sucks, raining now been cloudy a lot

Posted

2x 25 this month so far, thur, fri with 25.9C and 25.6C, 3 in august, 0 in july, 2 in june, 0 in may and 1 in april

2x 25 this month so far, thur, fri with 25.9C and 25.6C, 3 in august, 0 in july, 2 in june, 0 in may and 1 in april

If this is representative nationally John then it means up to today:

5 x summer 25Cs

3 x non-summer 25Cs

... with possibility of more to come still.

I still suspect the national picture may be even more stark, because we had a string of 25Cs in April here in the west country.

No 25Cs in May and July is remarkable, and for places like the Midlands not to have a single 25C is even more so.

Edited by West is Best

Posted
The very light drift is really just air circulated all the way round the resident High (kind of M25 like! :) )

But faster :lol: .

Yesterday was the first 25c of September. Westbury had none in April and one May, but we did reasonably well in comparison during June/July/August with a total of 10 days reaching 25c+ although there has never been a 'run' of them, more like a culmination of a few days warm up before the next front came through :) and due to fohn effects in brief S/SE flows . Interestingly, most of these 25c+ temperatures fell on Fridays and weekends (as yesterday!) apart from Tuesday 20th June when most places received a thundery end to the day and Westbury didn't!

Edited by Andy Bown

Posted
No 25C recorded here this year, quite astonishing for the modern era.

If someone had asked me for odds on this I would have given them a big price. If someone had asked for odds on 30C not being reached here I would have given slightly odds on.

No 25C here in Cleadon either, for the first time since 1993.

We havent reached 25°C here either, like yourself the first time since 1993. The highest maximum then was 24.2°C on the 23rd July 1993 and this year has only reached 24.1°C, meaning its the lowest high maximum since at least 1984 when my records began (even Summer 1988 reached 25.8°C). Theres still time to reach 25°C of course, but in this location its rather difficult past mid-September, so time is running out.

Like you Ian, if someone had asked me what I thought the odds of that would be, it would have been a big price. Its even more remarkable when you consider that it came after the warmest 12 month period on record, along with a list of other records.

Posted

Met O data gives Southampton as the warmest yesterday at 25.6C

On Wx Online they quote two with a max of 25C, Linton on Ouse and Hull.

Any news on whether any stations have officially recorded 30.0C+ this summer?

Wasn't the LWC 30.0C+ reading not official.

Trevor harley who i'm sure did have the LWC reading in his August review has now got no mention of it at all so maybe there has been no official 30.0C+ this summer at all :rolleyes:

Here's his review of the summer.

June. The first two weeks were dry, but from the 13th it was very wet, leading to some exceptionally severe flooding in places. Slightly warmer than average everywhere apart from the northeast coast. The highest temperature of the month was only 27.2 at Prestatyn on the 11th; it was -2.5C at Kinbrace on the 14th, and it only reached a maximum of 8.8C at Aviemore on the 25th. It was dull everywhere apart fromm some parts of the far NW; although it was the dullest June since only 1998 on average, it was particularly dull in the east. There were just 62 hours of sunshine at Edinburgh. It was sunnier in Aberdeen last December than this June. There was an average of 130 mm rain in England and Wales, making the wettest since 1997, although some parts of the far north and Orkney and Shetland were very dry. Wilsden (West Yorkshire) had 281 mm. Some places in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire and record amounts of rain. The 15th was another very wet day, particularly in the Midlands, with many places seeing some inches. Parts of Yorkshire had around 72 mm, leading to serious flooding. The month will be most remembered for the flooding in many parts of Britain in the final weekend. The Sheffield area saw particularly devastating flooding around the 25th and 26th; the M1 was closed for a few days because of the fear of a dam bursting. The Meadowhall Shopping Centre was flooded.

July. Very unsettled. Cold and wet with some truly exceptional flooding. It was very wet (with 129.5 mm, 219% of the England and Wales average, it was the wettest July since 1936), cool (the equal coolest since 1993; you have to go back to the miserable 1988 for one colder), with close to average sunshine. Some very heavy rain on Thursday night and Friday 19-20th saw some exceptional flooding in the South and Midlands on the 20th and afterwards. 100 mm of rain (four inches) fell over a wide area from Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire, to Wiltshire. Brize Norton (Oxon.) had 127.6 mm, 101 mm of it in 7 hours, and Pershore (Worcs.) had 145.4 mm. This heavy rainfall leads to the worst flooding in living memory, particuarly in Gloucestershire. The last two days were more settled, reaching 24.7 in central London on the 31st, but with some cool nights.

August. About average temperatures, although the coolest since 1993; slightly drier than average in the south, although wet in the north and west. Fine, warm, dry and sunny in the south and east of England in the first half; much less settled in the north. It reached 29.7C in Lincolnshire on the 5th. The 19th was cool, with a maximum of only 10.1 at Carter Bar on the A68 on the Scottish border, and 10.6C at Okehampton (Devon). Although the rest of August was sunny, the third week was very dull. Wattisham (near Ipswich) recorded five consecutive sunless days - perhaps a record for August.

Posted

Trevor harley who i'm sure did have the LWC reading in his August review has now got no mention of it at all so maybe there has been no official 30.0C+ this summer at all :unsure:

Here's his review of the summer.

Some data in that review is wrong for England and Wales.

June was not the wettest since 1997 but the wettest since 1860.

July was not the wettest since 1936 but the wettest since 1888.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
Met O data gives Southampton as the warmest yesterday at 25.6C

On Wx Online they quote two with a max of 25C, Linton on Ouse and Hull.

The maxima here was 23.6C yesterday and Im 1 mile from that station. Some rather dubious readings. I find it very unlikely that my relatively unshielded station on a north facing wall would record a degree and a half lower than an 'official' site.

Posted
That 24.9C at Linton on Ouse is also on the official Met Office site Reef http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/...st_weather.html

Sorry, I wasnt very clear. I was just referring to the stated 25C at Hull which John mentioned. Theres no doubt the Linton On Ouse reading is official :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well here's a list of all the days here above 25C this summer:

Saturday 9th June - 26.1C

Sunday 10th June - 28.3C

Tuesday 19th June - 25.1C

Saturday 14th July - 26.5C

Sunday 15th July - 27.0C

Saturday 4th August - 25.1C

Sunday 5th August - 28.5C

Saturday 11th August - 25.7C

Today will be another as it is currently 25.0C outside though I think this is proabbly about as high as it will get today.

Might just sneak out another 25C today. Temps here have been really pushing up in very light winds, and I've seen some 23C+'s already being notched up. Amazingly we've actually come close a couple of times since the last one on 07th Sept.

But a huge and very welcome cooldown now not far away!

Edited by West is Best

Posted

Newcastle airport recorded a 27ºC and a few days later a 26ºC in the 2nd week of August - interesting that TWS in Cleadon hasn't got over the 25ºC mark.

Posted
But a huge and very welcome cooldown now not far away!

Definitely not welcome for all of us, I would be more than happy for this pleasant weather to continue for another month or so.

Posted
Newcastle airport recorded a 27ºC and a few days later a 26ºC in the 2nd week of August - interesting that TWS in Cleadon hasn't got over the 25ºC mark.

To be honest I wouldn't take Newcastle AP too seriously. I seem to remember at the end of August it was recording implausibly high temps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Paul Tall in Newton Aycliffe recorded a lower maximum than I did that day; I very much doubt that 27C at Newcastle Airport was a representative reading, especially as I recall it was some 5C higher than the readings one hour either side!