Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen
IGNORED

Latest Antarctic Ice Reports

Posted

To keep the Arctic Ice thread on topic, here is a thread for Antarctic ice reports.

This thread probably won't last long because it'll be getting dark down there soon and no one will have a clue how much ice there is.

• Replies 438
    • Created
    • Last Reply
    Posted

OOn you have your seasons mixed up I'm afraid.

Its the start of their summer not the end!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Doh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
    To keep the Arctic Ice thread on topic, here is a thread for Antarctic ice reports.

This thread probably won't last long because it'll be getting dark down there soon and no one will have a clue how much ice there is.

Thanks OON,

What ever the season is, there should be a bit of interest and strong opinions on this topic. Please keep ice reports to the appropiate threads.

Cheers

C

Posted

Perfect timing!

Perhaps we should start by posting some online resources for Antarctic ice watching?

Antarctic ice map.

6 September 2007

antarcticamsrevisualxd8.png

"For several decades, measurements of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet showed it to be retreating rapidly. But new data derived from satellite-borne radar sensors show the ice sheet to be growing."

There may be something on MODIS.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells
    i wonder if the ice edge has ever clipped south America?

I doubt it as the sea currents are very strong indeed across the Drake Passage. Would probably hinder ice formation alot. The warm currents coming from the north would probably not help either. I can't be sure however...

Posted

The sea ice is noticably less extensive near the peninsular. I suppose it is usually like that. A small fraction of the North Western exposed side seems to have no surrounding sea ice at all. Quite impressive.

antarcticamsrevisualxd8.png

Posted

that is usually the case, its the area that the cruise ships usually try to penetrate in the summer, ie late December into early February.

A period of severe storms running south of Chile/Argentina/Falkland can sometimes change the sea ice quite considerably around that western side. Packing it in for some places and removing it temporarily for others.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Is the ice melting as quickly in the Antarctic as it is in the Arctic, it is very worrying that sea levels will rise by 7 metres if the ice keeps melting at the current rate. :)

Posted

Down under things are turned on their head.

current365southqa3.jpg

Is the ice melting as quickly in the Antarctic as it is in the Arctic, it is very worrying that sea levels will rise by 7 metres if the ice keeps melting at the current rate. :)

No, it's not, your source is wrong. It's not melting at all: the ice glaciers are growing due to extra snowfall. Antarctica's ice survived historical periods of global warming so there's no reason why it should be melting.

The vast positive sea ice anomaly demonstrates the climate in Antarctica is significantly different to the Arctic, almost by design.

The most obvious difference: Antarctica is a continent surrounded by ocean. Arctic is an ocean surrounded by continents.

Posted

I've always maintained that underneath that apparently intelligent exterior lies a complete numpty.

Posted
    ...The most obvious difference: Antarctica is a continent surrounded by ocean. Arctic is an ocean surrounded by continents.

Indeed. The essential difference is that the absence of continental landmass near the southern pole makes for a much more stable polar jet, meaning that surface fluctuation in airflow is less typical (the sort of tropical incursions polewards and polar incursions equatorwards that we see [we, used to] in our hemispheric winters). The other point, as AFF suggests, is that Antarctica is essentially continental. Antarctic ice would persist for some considerable time after Arctic ice, were the latter to disappear.

Posted
    I've always maintained that underneath that apparently intelligent exterior lies a complete numpty.

Now that has to be the best post of the day (without wishing to be banned OON) :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
    I might be a complete numpty, but at least I'm a sound-thinking northern complete numpty.

Hmmm ... may have to redraw the zone of sound Northern thinking, anyway you hail from E Anglia don't you, so do you qualify in the ZoSNT?

I agree that Antarctica is likely to be less affected than the arctic by the rise in SSTAs from GW due to the landmass beneath the ice rather than seas beneath much of the arctic, so the climate across the Antartctic continent should at least for now see less worrying signs of melt on the ice sheets.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
    Hmmm ... may have to redraw the zone of sound Northern thinking, anyway you hail from E Anglia don't you, so do you qualify in the ZoSNT?

I agree that Antarctica is likely to be less affected than the arctic by the rise in SST's from GW due to the landmass beneath the ice rather than seas beneath much of the arctic, so the climate across the Antarctic continent should at least for now see less worrying signs of melt on the ice sheets.

It isn't only 'melt' that bothers the ice, the mechanical battering of storm waves/surges can lead to fragmentation and drift into warmer waters of ice pack. Maybe the same phenomena that we are blaming polar melt on is responsible for Antarctic ice growth (less 'storminess' more anticyclonic conditions....in line with solar min).

If so then, as solar activity increases and it's impact on the lower stratospheric temps, the opposite will be noted. Because of the 'weakening/thinning' of the polar ice pack (more single year ice,less multiyear ice) will lead to it's increased fragmentation both over winter and summer as more 'stormy' conditions predominate but also the southern ice will fall prey to the same mechanical degradation of ice integrity (whilst warmer air masses are pushed further into the Continent than is the case with more 'settled' conditions)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
    Down under things are turned on their head.

current365southqa3.jpg

No, it's not, your source is wrong. It's not melting at all: the ice glaciers are growing due to extra snowfall. Antarctica's ice survived historical periods of global warming so there's no reason why it should be melting.

The vast positive sea ice anomaly demonstrates the climate in Antarctica is significantly different to the Arctic, almost by design.

The most obvious difference: Antarctica is a continent surrounded by ocean. Arctic is an ocean surrounded by continents.

http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/about_bas/publ...paper.php?id=18

This shows the other way (if the ice sheets are part of the measurement) we can expand the ice cover darn sarwf.

Posted

Interesting developments form the Cryosphere;

"

UPDATE: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - New historic SH sea ice maximum and NH sea ice minimum

Just when you thought this season's cryosphere couldn't be more strange .... The Southern Hemisphere sea ice area has broken the previous maximum of 16.03 million sq. km and is currently at 16.26 million sq. km. This represents an increase of about 1.4% above the previous SH ice area record high. The observed sea ice record in the Southern Hemisphere (1979-present) is not as long as the Northern Hemisphere. Prior to the satellite era, direct observations of the SH sea ice edge were sporadic.

The NH sea ice area is currently at its historic minimum (2.92 million sq. km) representing a 27% drop in sea ice coverage compared to the previous (2005) record NH ice minimum."

So from one extreme to another...

current365southul1.jpg

currentareasouthkc5.jpg

Posted

The Antarctic maximum winter sea ice area record has been smashed, with the current sea ice area at 16.26 million sq km, beating the previous record of 16.03. Slightly grudgingly admitted on Cryosphere Today. :)

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/

Posted
    Mr Sleet, is that not what OP posted a few minutes before you?

Yes, but it wasn't there when I posted, honest guv ! Probably OP put it up while I was editing. But just in case anyone missed it :

The Antarctic maximum winter sea ice area record has been smashed, with the current sea ice area at 16.26 million sq km, beating the previous record of 16.03. Slightly grudgingly admitted on Cryosphere Today. :)

Archived