Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

named locations regularly coldest max and min

damianslaw

Posted
West Linton in the Scottish Borders has been mentioned in Britweather years a few times and was the coldest in the early 20th Century on two or three occasions. I was surprised to see Perth as the coldest in one year.

Does Dalwhinnie still have a weather station? I haven't seen anything from there for some time. Having worked up there one Winter in the late seventies I can confirm that it can get pretty cold.

Yes, Dalwhinnie does have a recording station - yesterdays minimum temperature for the UK was at Dalwhinnie -2.2°. I also noticed on Ceefax that on this day many years ago a max temperature of -6° was recorded at Dalwhinnie!!! Surely this had to be 6°??? Kinbrace in NE Highland seems to give lowest minimum temperatures these days although Braemar is a classic frost hollow location near the source of the River Dee (345m)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
I think all the main ones have been mentioned. Topcliffe in the Vale of York can get quite cold during winter nights.

Leek Thorncliffe in Staffs makes a surprising number of appearances for lowest daytime maxima.

The wettest station on the current network must be Capel Curig in Snowdonia.

I think seasons make a difference too. Redesdale Camp is very commonly the lowest minimum during summer. In winter, this accolade usually falls to Aboyne, now that Redhill has been wiped off.

Whilst I'm thinking about it, it is very rare to find areas in what could loosely be described as the M6 corridor between Birmingham and Cumbria (e.g. Lancs, Cheshire, Staffs, Greater Manchester) and places west of the M1 in the Midlands (Leics, Northants, Notts, Derbys), recording notable or extreme weather. Possibly this area must be the most boring place to live for weather in the UK. The most interesting areas must be northern Scotland and the area to the east of an imaginary line between the Wash and the Solent.

AKA Sunday 10th January 1982

Lowest grass minimum -26.8C Shawbury (Salop).. Deepest snowfall staffs/ Salop/ Cheshire border 18inches. Sunniest spot Ringway ( S.Manchester) 7.1 hrs.All with-in the M6 corridor, hardly that boring of a place.

C

Posted
AKA Sunday 10th January 1982

Lowest grass minimum -26.8C Shawbury (Salop).. Deepest snowfall staffs/ Salop/ Cheshire border 18inches. hardly that boring of a place.

C

Remember it well with easterly gales/blizzards big time days before :doh::)

Rrea00119820108.gif

Rrea00119820110.gif

Posted

Loftus is a depressing place, matched only by the gloom that rolls in off the North Sea in early summer when the local area inland like Teesside Airport are basking in temperatures a good 14C warmer. Never go there, and if you do stock up on Prozac. It can also be depressingly wet, in fact a landslide a few years back meant major works for the A174, the coastal road to Whitby. If you are also in that area I recommend a trip to Skinningrove, where you might be tempted to drink the stream, thinking it looks like Iron Bru. Don't.

Edited by mackerel sky