Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Washing

Gray-Wolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Seeing as the skin is the largest organ of our bodies does the constant 'de-oiling' by contact with detergents lead to stresses in the body and it's regulatory systems?

Does constant coating with chemicals (perfume/aftershave/deodorants) lead to stressing of our regulatory systems (as in low grade allergy responses)?

Can we justify, in this AGW world, the chemical processing needed to produce these 'personal hygiene' items?

The further we remove ourselves from our 'natural state' then surely the more stresses we accrue. I remember in th 'bad old days' of Zoo's (Belle Vue, M/cr) watching, with great sadness, a Polar Bear in a concrete enclosure/pit rocking back and forth in despair at it's situation. The big cats/Apes were in no better order. Are we doing the same to ourselves both by the 'un-natural' state we place ourselves in socially and the way we compromise our bodies with chemicals we would never had consumed in our 'feral' state?

Are the challenges we now face in both our youth (and it's culture) and society at large partly due to this highly toxic and un-natural way of being?

Posted

I never had any allergies.But these days I have,example Ive been playing guitar most of my life on and off with no problems at all.3 years ago I broke out in a very bad skin disorder on my hands.I went to and throw to my doctors trying to find out what it was to no avail.The skin on my hands became infected with secondary infections.Open cuts would open up and leave me in great agony.It got to the point I thought I would have to give up playing and teaching the musical instrument.The doctors couldn't find the cause!

I was put on steroids and antibiotics for 3 years.My hands became bandaged up.

By pure luck I saw a post by a musician that had a similar skin complaint like my condition.The problem was Nickel in the strings.

I immediately changed my strings to steel.And withing 2 weeks my hands began to be healed.I still have the odd slight outbreak..but NOTHING compared to the 3 years off pain on my hands.The doctor said you can get allergic to things with constant contact after many years.Shame they didn't tell me that 3 years ago.I never thought about the strings as Ive been playing most of my life.

Posted
Seeing as the skin is the largest organ of our bodies does the constant 'DE-oiling' by contact with detergents lead to stresses in the body and it's regulatory systems?

Does constant coating with chemicals (perfume/aftershave/deodorants) lead to stressing of our regulatory systems (as in low grade allergy responses)?

Can we justify, in this AGE world, the chemical processing needed to produce these 'personal hygiene' items?

The further we remove ourselves from our 'natural state' then surely the more stresses we accrue. I remember in th 'bad old days' of Zoo's (Belle Vie, M/Cr) watching, with great sadness, a Polar Bear in a concrete enclosure/pit rocking back and forth in despair at it's situation. The big cats/Apes were in no better order. Are we doing the same to ourselves both by the 'un-natural' state we place ourselves in socially and the way we compromise our bodies with chemicals we would never had consumed in our 'feral' state?

Are the challenges we now face in both our youth (and it's culture) and society at large partly due to this highly toxic and UN-natural way of being?

better hygiene is probably why we life expectancy is as long now as it has ever been. but it seems that

we are now getting to the point, where kids are to clean with no immunity to normal run of the mill germs and infections, which can only be a bad Omen.

Posted
Seeing as the skin is the largest organ of our bodies does the constant 'de-oiling' by contact with detergents lead to stresses in the body and it's regulatory systems?

Can we justify, in this AGW world, the chemical processing needed to produce these 'personal hygiene' items?

The further we remove ourselves from our 'natural state' then surely the more stresses we accrue. I remember in th 'bad old days' of Zoo's (Belle Vue, M/cr) watching, with great sadness, a Polar Bear in a concrete enclosure/pit rocking back and forth in despair at it's situation. The big cats/Apes were in no better order. Are we doing the same to ourselves both by the 'un-natural' state we place ourselves in socially and the way we compromise our bodies with chemicals we would never had consumed in our 'feral' state?

Are the challenges we now face in both our youth (and it's culture) and society at large partly due to this highly toxic and un-natural way of being?

From a physiological point of view, then no, I wouldn't imagine these cosmetic products are doing us any good. Socially is a different matter, I'm sure you've seen someone shunned simply because they smell "natural".

As for the AGW contribution there are far more useless chemical industries.

All these soaps and shampoos and toothpastes and so on don't actually make us cleaner, just give the illusion of it because of all the nasty artificial nice smelling chemicals they put in them. Plain water cleans you sufficiently well as any artifical cleaning product. I also remember reading that anti-bacterial handwash doesn't actually work any better than plain water. They are a waste of money, space, damaging to the environment and have unknown long term health effects.

It's like air freshener that makes your house smell cleaner just because of the rose smell, doesn't mean it is though.

If you really must smell like a bouquet, get some natural ingredient deodorent.

Posted
From a physiological point of view, then no, I wouldn't imagine these cosmetic products are doing us any good. Socially is a different matter, I'm sure you've seen someone shunned simply because they smell "natural".

As for the AGW contribution there are far more useless chemical industries.

But, from my own limited experience, when you all smell then no one notices (you habitualise to the niff) we are 'brainwashed' into an un-natural level of personal hygiene when the body does do a pretty fair job (and has done throughout our evolution) of keeping us healthy without the need to strip away our 'oils'.

We are now very aware of the roles of bacteria in poor health and so are in a better position to avoid over contamination....but surely we have to give our immune system some kind of targets to build up immunities to?

Posted
nasty artificial nice smelling chemicals

I knew this would turn into a big bad chemical industry bash.

Name me a "nasty artifical nice smelling chemical" please.

I knew this would turn into a big bad chemical industry bash.

Name me a "nasty artifical nice smelling chemical" please.

Please tell me where on Earth I even mentioned the chemical industry, let alone bashed them?

I just would rather not cover myself in artifical chemicals. I'd rather not use them even if they are completely harmless, it's just a personal preference. Don't put words into my mouth, thank you very much.

Posted
Please tell me where on Earth I even mentioned the chemical industry, let alone bashed them?

I just would rather not cover myself in artificial chemicals. I'd rather not use them even if they are completely harmless, it's just a personal preference. Don't put words into my mouth, thank you very much.

there's nothing wrong with being clean on the outside, the problem as i see it, is that kids are not ingesting enough bacteria to build up a good immune system for later life. we need to cut out the chemicals for the sake of our kids and the environment

Edited by BARRY

Posted
If being clean is bad for you, how come the Scots have a lower life expectancy than the English?

good one

I just would rather not cover myself in artifical chemicals. I'd rather not use them even if they are completely harmless, it's just a personal preference. Don't put words into my mouth, thank you very much.

righty ho.

Posted

Grey Wolf is quite right: constant washing isn't good for us, and the more chemcials we use, the more chemicals we need to use....

Must admit I do shower every day. But only ever use soap (usually handmade stuff 'cos I have a load at work and it doesn't sell much so I use it myself) and shampoo - on which note it's worth adding that the more often you wash your hair, the more often it needs washing. During my long walk through the Highlands in the winter of '89 I'd perforce often go over a week without washing my hair. By the end of the walk it only needed washing once a week at most to keep it looking good. Nowadays it gets greasy after a coupe of days ....

I understand that if you stop washing your hair, after a few weeks or so it'll gradually return to its natural state and won't get greasy at all ..... Something to think about?

(It may be different for those who have dry rather than greasy hair?)

Edit: I use deodorant, but ant anti-perspirant, the latter act by blocking your pores to stop you sweating. they just make me sweat more as my body attempts tp clean out the pores!

Edited by Essan

Grey Wolf is quite right: constant washing isn't good for us, and the more chemcials we use, the more chemicals we need to use....

Must admit I do shower every day. But only ever use soap (usually handmade stuff 'cos I have a load at work and it doesn't sell much so I use it myself) and shampoo - on which note it's worth adding that the more often you wash your hair, the more often it needs washing. During my long walk through the Highlands in the winter of '89 I'd perforce often go over a week without washing my hair. By the end of the walk it only needed washing once a week at most to keep it looking good. Nowadays it gets greasy after a coupe of days ....

I understand that if you stop washing your hair, after a few weeks or so it'll gradually return to its natural state and won't get greasy at all ..... Something to think about?

Edit: I use deodorant, but ant anti-perspirant, the latter act by blocking your pores to stop you sweating. they just make me sweat more as my body attempts tp clean out the pores!

My hair is never greasy yet I don't ever use shampoo. I couldn't use it if I wanted to because I had bad rections to soaps and shampoos a few years ago which caused nasty skin problems on my face, but my hair seems no different to me now compared to when I did use shampoo. It just doesn't smell of artifical chemicals.

And in fact, soaps, handwashes etc can actually make one dirtier. Often people who use these things don't wash themselves thoroughly because they mistake the nice smell for cleanliness. So they smell nice and assume they're clean, when they could still be dirty - the smell is just masking. Someone who doesn't use them would know when they are clean because there would be no smell, and so would properly clean themselves until the smell is gone.

Posted

your hair is an exaggerated version of the rest of you. The more you strip away your bodies oils the more your body has to fight to replace them (commandeering 'goods' that the rest of your body might better use.). If you cease to use detergent on your hair (washing in water alone) then your hair will settle down to a normal 'sheen' (like other mammals coats) and both it and your scalp will be in much better/balanced condition. The same goes for the rest of the body.

Sadly the scalp is one of our 'smellier bits' and as the Germans say 'I can smell him', meaning I can cope with his musk, some folk you 'cannot smell' i.e. can't bare to be around, never mind on the pillow next to you!

Some lasses go to extravagant extremes to 'look' more attractive and so, the morning after when they've left their face on your pillow, you could be in for a bit of a shock!!! the same with body odours. Make sure you can 'smell' and be near your chosen one before you commit.......later in life you'll be glad you did!!!

Posted

Bath night again is it, Mr Wolf?!

Yes, washing is probably bad for us but, until my nose goes deaf, I shall continue with my usual cleansing routine... and insist that my nearest and dearest continue with theirs too.

Oh, and as a real woman (according to OON) I can assure you that I've never left my face behind on the pillow.

Posted
All these soaps and shampoos and toothpastes and so on don't actually make us cleaner, just give the illusion of it because of all the nasty artificial nice smelling chemicals they put in them. Plain water cleans you sufficiently well as any artifical cleaning product. I also remember reading that anti-bacterial handwash doesn't actually work any better than plain water. They are a waste of money, space, damaging to the environment and have unknown long term health effects.

It's like air freshener that makes your house smell cleaner just because of the rose smell, doesn't mean it is though.

If you really must smell like a bouquet, get some natural ingredient deodorent.

Sources?

Posted
Bath night again is it, Mr Wolf?!

Erm, yes.......how did you guess? some kinda feminine intuition???

EDIT: I still insist that was never 6 months........

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

I passed one of 'the great unwashed' today as I strolled back from dropping little'un off at school and so I'd just like to clarify. It is not really washing or cleanliness I'm on about but the un-necessary stripping out of our bodies natural oils, and the imbalance this leads to in our 'regulatory systems', and not about being 'unhygienic' or 'unclean'!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny
But, from my own limited experience, when you all smell then no one notices (you habitualise to the niff) we are 'brainwashed' into an un-natural level of personal hygiene when the body does do a pretty fair job (and has done throughout our evolution) of keeping us healthy without the need to strip away our 'oils'.

We are now very aware of the roles of bacteria in poor health and so are in a better position to avoid over contamination....but surely we have to give our immune system some kind of targets to build up immunities to?

As I live in the country I'm surrounded by farmers/farmworkers who smell natural. I can assure you it is noticeable. Anyway, I like to smell nice. At my age I need all the help I can get....

Living on my estate with horses, horse sh**, flies, various other animals and their numerous deposits, all of which I shovel onto different muck heaps regularly, maybe I've got the balance between clean and dirty just right.

I could send sacks from the muck heaps to all the town and city dwellers on here to help build up your immunities. Cheques made payable to Lady Laura Enterprises.

Posted

I think theres plenty of people who use vairious products to excess, most thing done in excess create problems at some point.

living in modern enviroments far from a natural habitat that we started out in, I think most products can help rather than hinder our health and lives ,

we live in polluted air I wouldnt like to bet that water alone can deal with them , and water is not exactly 100% free from either .

theres loads of products to replace what we lack and have stripped, and patch us up, keep out bugs and germs too. I think our rising life expectancy over the lyrs says a lot.

as for personal hygeine theres a lot of products that arnt nessasary that we choose to use that are just nice

but Id say theres a lot that are essential too .....ie. some form of soap, toothpaste and anticeptic creams potions etc .

its all very 'hippy' to be a soap dodger but there hardly a glowing with health lot!

one of my old my freinds was one, very well off too with a vw kombi buisness ....

saving the whales I think ..... and saving the various species of lice , scabies and other dermo bacteria's too ,

he smelt , his dreads reaked ( he would insist not as he was so used to it he didnt smell it any more ,just like your feet ) and he had around 4 teeth left (one he would super glue in ?! )

:lol:

Ive had bad allergy re actions to a liquid air freshner, ended up in hospital , and I rarley used them so allergies is a real issue , but living in a world of worry and avoidence cant be good for us either our well being so Im keeping my smellies and the fairy liquid

I have a good scrub every 2nd friday of the month, whether I need it or not !!!

I should think once a month , the number of times its needed far outways the number its been un needed ! :lol:

lol!

Posted

Can you imagine a London underground tube full of people in summer who did not use deoderant or wash their hair or other bodily parts! :blink: Still.. I suppose it would reduce the crowding on the tube!!!

I love my bath and I use MOP on my hair (Modern Organic Products) shampoos which you can obtain from the wonderful QVC satellite shopping channel and it is all natural ingredients!!! And living in a house with 19 cats, I need a bath at LEAST every other night after cleaning up after that lot - the hair they drop is incredible!!!! :D

Posted

So far as living longer there's the old Piaget 'quantity V's quality' thing. I've seen too many oldies quite ready to go being kept alive and miserable by modern marvels. Just because we can do it doesn't automatically make it a good thing (hydrogen bomb being another such example).