Cold?
IGNORED

Whats this Bird

The PIT

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Spotted this bird which was rather large flying high up over Lathkill what is it????

If need be I can load a larger image. Loaded up a cropped version

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Spar....no, Buzzard.

I used to think they were rare and everytime I saw one, I felt good. But I understand they're Britain's most common large bird of prey. Britain's most common bird is, of course, Jade Goody.

Posted
Spar....no, Buzzard.

I used to think they were rare and everytime I saw one, I felt good. But I understand they're Britain's most common large bird of prey. Britain's most common bird is, of course, Jade Goody.

You ever see any golden eagles that kick about Cumbria?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Lucky I managed to capture it in flight. Needed a much bigger zoom lens to capture it when it perched up high up on the banks. So there's Buzzards in Lathkill great. Thanks for your help.

There are loads of buzzards around here. Often on my rides into the Brecon Beacons I pass a buzzard on a roadside telegraph pole. Can stop and watch them from just a few feet away for a while, they don't seem to be bothered. Same with red kites, I see them on perhaps half of my rides and you can get only a few feet away from them on a roadside fence or pole. Hard to believe they are so rare and were almost extinct in this country.

I shall have to take my camera next time.

Posted
You ever see any golden eagles that kick about Cumbria?
There are some in the Haweswater area, but I've not seen them and I don't think they've laid any eggs in the last few years, so I don't know how much longer there'll be any.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

There are that many Buzzards here we are thinking of selling them to the tourists :D

Only joaking....

Driving back from Scotland on Friday last, I noticed that Buzzard numbers are well up country wide. Taking a long de-tour around a badly congested M40/A34 we were graced with a couple of Red Kites in the Chilterns no less...I was really happy as I had just seen lots of them in Galloway :)

Regards,

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
. Taking a long de-tour around a badly congested M40/A34 we were graced with a couple of Red Kites in the Chilterns no less...I was really happy as I had just seen lots of them in Galloway :rofl:

Regards,

Russ

A couple !! Dozens & dozens of them at Stokenchurch (M40 J5). I believe an RSPB release programme took place in early 90s with Kites from Sweden & the Pyrenees. It's been a roaring success & last year a pair bred inside the M25. Northbound, they've spread as far as Stoke Lyne Woods, M40 J10.

great to see.

I once heard the buzzard described as The Englishmans' Eagle !! :rofl:

Posted

Nice Buzzard <_<

We have two pairs in this area, seen daily almost year-round, even in our semi-urban environment. We have enough fields and hedgerows to keep them interested.

We also have a pair of tawny owls, and they regularly wake me up in the middle of the night when they perch on the streetlamp outside the house and make ungodly squawks!

Posted
We also have a pair of tawny owls, and they regularly wake me up in the middle of the night when they perch on the streetlamp outside the house and make ungodly squawks!

Hi LH, sure they're not Barn Owls ??

Also known as Screech Owls due to the racket they make (We've got a pair in one of the haylofts), in comparison, the tawnys are more of the traditional Twit-to-woo sound.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
Hi LH, sure they're not Barn Owls ??

Also known as Screech Owls due to the racket they make (We've got a pair in one of the haylofts), in comparison, the tawnys are more of the traditional Twit-to-woo sound.

I have heard Tawnys make a wide range of noises, most commonly a keeyip and I have heard a racket similar to a gull.