Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Small Tornadoes Reported Across The UK

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Just moving this into Storms and Extreme Weather.

Oh I hate that media term 'mini-tornado' too :nonono:

Posted

I wish they wouldn't use the term mini-tornadoes...I just read the ticker on there and came here asap...

Its more likely to be severe gusts of wind associated with that rain front (squall?) as it moves through...must've taken place this morning between 0800-1000am as it exited Eastern England. Its sunny and breezy here now...

I was woken up at 8.20am by the sound of very strong gusts of wind - probably gale force gusts for about 15 mins...but thought nothing of it. Tornado like conditions could've been very localised whereas everywhere else probably had strong gusts and the BBC are saying 'damage has been caused by a series of mini-tornadoes' - unlikely

I don't believe it! THEY'VE CHANGED IT! hahaha its now squalls - not tornadoes....looks like I have telepathic abilities.... :D that said mini-tornadoes a few mins ago

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7010172.stm

PLEASE IGNORE MY COMMENTS - HAVEN'T READ THIS MORNINGS POSTS IN THE SEVERE STORMS DISCUSSION FIRST - SQUALL ALREADY MENTIONED BY NICK F EARLY THIS MORNING :nonono:

Edited by MR CB

Posted

I wonder how long it will take for the media to relate these squall's to global warming :nonono:

From the reports I have read these are very localised events - only damage to a handful of residencies. No doubt this will be sensationalised though, I wonder if we will have a centre page spread tomorrow in the current bun diagramming 'How tournadoes develop'.

God help us when an Atlantic Hurricane ventures over and smacks us in the I have a problem!

Posted

So far we have these as Possible Tornadoes from this morning

Hull Yorkshire

Northampton Northants

Nuneaton Warwickshire

Bromley (Kent)

Long Eaton (Derbys)

Farnborough (Hants)

Peterborough Area

And Luton looks like it could be a quite definate one as reports of Trampolines being lifted 15 feet and dumped in next door neighbours garden is "NOT" Straight line winds

Paul S

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Ooops, Northampton and Luton are 20miles north and south of Milton Keynes. Never saw or heard a thing last night, slept like a baby, so obviously nothing tornadic around MK as far as i know. Looks like we did have some heavy rain overnight though ground is very wet!

Typical, interesting weather around and I was fast asleep :nonono:

Posted

I live west of Northampton and was woken up by high winds and lashing rain, didn't bother looking out of the window though. My boss said his daughter was woken by it and came into their room which she never does because she was frightened. He actually sid to me this morning it was like a tornado or somethins, reckons the winds suddenly picked up and it lashed down and lots of stuff was flying around outside.

Not sure if it was a tornado, certainly a hefty squall.

Posted

I heard the wind pick up about half-five this morning, but it sounded like a squall more than anything else.

How disgusted would I be if there actually was a tornado in Northampton!! :nonono:

Having said that, my other half, Audmun, said that he came home from work this morning through rain the likes of which he hadn't seen since storm-chasing in USA in May. :D

-PBS-

Posted

Reports coming in that a tornado struck near Peterborough.

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/39...road.3226198.jp

This now takes our tally to 10 twisters in 2yrs. I bet even areas in Tornado alley in the USA cannot reports such numbers in a particular location!.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Firstly I must say welldone to the NW forecasting team and Paul S. for mentioning/forecasting the potential for possible tornado's. :) When reading the convective thread last night I assumed things were being a little overhyped, but I was wrong. :D

The winds were incredibly strong here this morning for about 3/4 minutes as the squall moved through. One of my fence panels has been blown down along with some branches etc. Was really rough for a short while! :nonono:

Very nice to have some exciting weather after recent weeks.

Mammatus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

a colleague has some weather recording instruments and told me it recorded a max gust this morning of 113mph. He lives near Fleet I believe. 10 mm of rain. There was I recall a massive gust at about 6.30 this morning as it did coincide with my alarm. I am in Oxford. I would like to see a path of the recorded gusts if it was possible to collate...would be interesting. Well done to the NW team again. Always on the ball ... :nonono:

Posted
The BBC website is mentioning reports of mini-tornados (i hate that term) BBC website Has any NW member seen any of these reported sightings?

Rob McElwee was being somewhat sceptical on the lunchtime news: he was strongly of the view that it was probably just a squall line. The news feeds certainly provided no absolutely compelling footage to support a tornado, though Auntie was careful to ask for any videos etc.

Posted
And Luton looks like it could be a quite definate one as reports of Trampolines being lifted 15 feet and dumped in next door neighbours garden is "NOT" Straight line winds

Paul S

Sorry to appear to be pedantic here Paul...but I'm sure you already know that non-tornadic winds are hardly 'straight-line' in nature. Convective downbursts, gustnados, and squalls all form violent spinning gyres of airflow as they are forced around local topography and buildings. Of course...most of the time they are not likely to be violent or capable of lifting trampolines 15 feet.

:nonono:

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

Not all of the reports today will be confirmed as tornadoes with some of the damage almost certainly just being due to very strong gusts of wind. There does however appear to have been significant helicity along the squall front with winds rapidly changing direction leading to small scale vertical vortexs. These short lived vortexs (spout type tornados) tend to spin up along strong frontal systems but tend to have limited depth and strength when compared to tornadoes formed from the stretching of horizontal vorticity.

Site investigations should determine which are tornadoes and which strong gusts.Tornadoes will typically have a narrow path , scatter debris in all directions away from the path and tend to snap rather than uproot trees.

Posted
Rob McElwee was being somewhat sceptical on the lunchtime news: he was strongly of the view that it was probably just a squall line. The news feeds certainly provided no absolutely compelling footage to support a tornado, though Auntie was careful to ask for any videos etc.

Could anyone explain to me why I had to waste 5 minutes of my lunchtime being told about something not very unusual or in the least bit newsworthy and why it was considered to be the most important thing in the world this lunchtime?

Posted
Sorry to appear to be pedantic here Paul...but I'm sure you already know that non-tornadic winds are hardly 'straight-line' in nature. Convective downbursts, gustnados, and squalls all form violent spinning gyres of airflow as they are forced around local topography and buildings. Of course...most of the time they are not likely to be violent or capable of lifting trampolines 15 feet.

:nonono:

Yes

You are right PP, Realistically no-one is going to know unless a Site Investigation is carried out on all the 7 or 8 Locations, the Warwickshire one is already being questioned due to locality and topography of the surrounding area. As Brick says possible eddys on the front edge of a squall could have produced Landspout type Gusts, but when they are shrouded in heavy rain and almost whiteout conditions (No Not Snow) but really bad conditions where the humidity blanks out any view, then no-one is going to be certain let alone film something like this. Usually strong squalls of this type litter gardens and move objects, taking the odd loose fence panel along the way, not lifting a Trampoline up and over a garden fence, that is why I thought this one sounded Tornadic, but it is just speculation atm

Paul S

Posted
Yes

You are right PP, Realistically no-one is going to know unless a Site Investigation is carried out on all the 7 or 8 Locations, the Warwickshire one is already being questioned due to locality and topography of the surrounding area. As Brick says possible eddys on the front edge of a squall could have produced Landspout type Gusts, but when they are shrouded in heavy rain and almost whiteout conditions (No Not Snow) but really bad conditions where the humidity blanks out any view, then no-one is going to be certain let alone film something like this. Usually strong squalls of this type litter gardens and move objects, taking the odd loose fence panel along the way, not lifting a Trampoline up and over a garden fence, that is why I thought this one sounded Tornadic, but it is just speculation atm

Paul S

Do you know if TORRO are going to bother doing any investigations?

Posted
I wish they wouldn't use the term mini-tornadoes...I just read the ticker on there and came here asap...

Its more likely to be severe gusts of wind associated with that rain front (squall?) as it moves through...must've taken place this morning between 0800-1000am as it exited Eastern England. Its sunny and breezy here now...

I was woken up at 8.20am by the sound of very strong gusts of wind - probably gale force gusts for about 15 mins...but thought nothing of it. Tornado like conditions could've been very localised whereas everywhere else probably had strong gusts and the BBC are saying 'damage has been caused by a series of mini-tornadoes' - unlikely

Yes I was also woken by the heavy rain and gusts of wind around 8.15am this morning and thought nothing of it!

Callie :nonono:

Posted

Yep

Think Stu Robinson is at Nuneaton about now. Tony G will probably do the Farnborough one, there looks like there may have been another Possible Tornado near to Scunthorpe this morning as well. There is a great radar thread over on Ukww showing the radar images from when the places got struck. From my own point of view the Farnborough cell looks like the "Tail End Charlie" and the news coverage looks like Tornadic damage, Scunthorpe radar is very Interesting and Nuneaton looks like it was where the Line bowed out, possible bowing echo.

Paul S

Posted
Yep

Think Stu Robinson is at Nuneaton about now. Tony G will probably do the Farnborough one, there looks like there may have been another Possible Tornado near to Sprunehorpe this morning as well. There is a great radar thread over on Ukww showing the radar images from when the places got struck. From my own point of view the Farnborough cell looks like the "Tail End Charlie" and the news coverage looks like Tornadic damage, Sprunehorpe radar is very Interesting and Nuneaton looks like it was where the Line bowed out, possible bowing echo.

Paul S

Cool.

Thanks for that Paul.

ROFL.

I love this quote from the BBC site: -

`Caravans have been upside down, trees uprooted, bus shelters destroyed. It's just complete devastation.`

Umm....no it isn't.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

The Nuneaton event occurred just up the road from my house approx half a mile away as the crow flies.I was awoken at around 5 to 5.30 am to the sound of high winds and torrential rain but of course didn`t realise at the time how close i was to having my house hit by these damaging winds.

Of course we have had the Emergency services and media helicopters,plus our M.P. all around the area through the day.

As far i can ascertain there were no injuries to people and the main damage is to roofs and fences etc.

Too close for comfort for me and my family though so i say There but for the grace of god go i.

Posted

You know the wind's changed direction quickly when rain that was lashing on your bedroom window (S/SW facing) suddenly stops doing so, but you can then hear it lashing the windows at the front of the house (N facing). That's what happened as the front moved through here.

Posted
I heard the wind pick up about half-five this morning, but it sounded like a squall more than anything else.

How disgusted would I be if there actually was a tornado in Northampton!! :)

Having said that, my other half, Audmun, said that he came home from work this morning through rain the likes of which he hadn't seen since storm-chasing in USA in May. :)

-PBS-

Yes, I was woken by the squally conditions this morning too. However I went straight back to sleep without looking out the window.

Northampton Chron are reporting that a tornado did in fact hit just before 7am this morning:

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Cha...hits.3225455.jp