Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Leaf colour change?

SP1986

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Whats the rate of colour change of the trees where you are at the moment? Here they are still mostly green, id say 90% of trees are fully green and the remaining are turning yellow, so I was surprised to hear only 15-20 miles inland there are fully yellow trees..

Posted

It wasn't all the trees in Congleton, Stephen...just one particular species. (And I have no idea what it was!)

The trees are still mostly green here too, just a few yellow/reddish leaves on some.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Most elm and birch that I noticed in Dumfries and Galloway looked yellow/brown 500 feet or so up, when I was there the week before last. I presume this year all leaves will be gone by the end of October, or am I being presumptuous :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
It wasn't all the trees in Congleton, Stephen...just one particular species. (And I have no idea what it was!)

The trees are still mostly green here too, just a few yellow/reddish leaves on some.

No it was somone near Wrexham, a place called Plasau, Thats what I was told anyway, maybe it was a clump of Horsechestnut trees?

I do recall your Congleton post though, I couldnt imagine to much difference around the UK given were a small island

I would expect most of the trees around here to be yellow by end of October, and bare by end of November, but well see.

Posted

Here in Alberta, Canada, its about 85% yellow, 15% green. we are about a week behind on last year. This time last year it was 100% change with no green, but then again we had had some heavy falls of snow by now. This year it has remained largely snow free, with some very warm days late in September.

Posted

We have a wider variety of trees here on the coast, including some Ontario-style maples that have been planted out here, eventually they will turn bright scarlet and orange as they do in eastern Canada. So far, not much action there, just a few patches of yellow from the aspen (cottonwoods) that grow fairly widely around here on slopes, and some red showing up on ornamental trees and bushes. I would say we are sitting at about 20%. From a news story on some other subject in Ontario the other day, I would say they are sitting at about 30 to 40 per cent change, not quite at the peak yet, that usually comes in the second week of October on average. If I remember, I will post a picture on this thread of Canadian maples in full colour, I am sure it is quite a bit brighter than you're used to seeing there, because we have roughly the same native tree cover here in Vancouver and the colours are more subtle during the fall.

Posted
Loads of the trees are changing colour now :) never seen it this early ive only ever seen it well into october

Certainly on the change here a lot quicker than in last 3-4 yrs. All seemed to change over last weekend, I went from sunshine to a garden full of leaves in 3 days !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Still mostly green i'd say 80% but the Beech and Horsechesnut are quite yellow and one I think is a Katsura tree is completely yellow and the Swedish Whitebeams are almost completely bare now with hardly any change of colour.

Edited by James M

Posted

Morning all and hi Stephen,

Color change of leaves here has been happening for a couple of weeks and is intensifying now Autumn has arrived. Below are a couple of pictures of the leaves and they are not digitally enhanced, they really are that colorful. It seems that half a tree will start to change color then the other half will start to change once the other leaves have start ed to fall, its lovely to watch.

Debs

post-47-1190722379_thumb.jpg

post-47-1190722494_thumb.jpg

post-47-1190722578_thumb.jpg

post-47-1190722677_thumb.jpg

Posted
Morning all and hi Stephen,

Color change of leaves here has been happening for a couple of weeks and is intensifying now Autumn has arrived. Below are a couple of pictures of the leaves and they are not digitally enhanced, they really are that colorful. It seems that half a tree will start to change color then the other half will start to change once the other leaves have start ed to fall, its lovely to watch.

Debs

Hi Debs, greetings from over the Pond

What no snow !! Thought you'd be up to your nether regions by now

You've been living in North America for too long - it's spelt COLOUR (Bl**dy colonials :) )

Posted
Hi Debs, greetings from over the Pond

What no snow !! Thought you'd be up to your nether regions by now

You've been living in North America for too long - it's spelt COLOUR (Bl**dy colonials :) )

Only been here a couple of months....hoping the snow will arrive soon though. Got sick of waiting for snow to come to UK so I moved out here. Having said that, the "colours" are nice and I am sure there is more to come. I will post more piccies as and when I get some.

Debs