Cold?
IGNORED

October 2007 CET

Stu_London

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

An almost late 10.9 for me please.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

I think a warmer and drier than average first half to the month looks on the cards, perhaps an average and more unsettled 2nd half:

11.9°C

Posted

Will go for 11.7C for the October CET, was tempted to go a good 1C higher mind you givne the likely strength of the Scandi high over the first 15 days but I'm not sure how the NAO signal will evolve past the 15th and that may well lead to a cooler last 10 days of the month.

Posted

I'll have 10.9 please. Ta.

I've been decorating the room for the past week and have only just got reconnected!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I'm being very reserved of late...but wait until my Nov CET :yahoo: ..then you'll see something...what suspense :D

BFTP

Posted

A lot to consider this month, if, like me, you've pitched too high over summer. The SST signature, that I am attributing the cool season to, is still there, though far less markedly: that suggests cool, but less cool than recent months.

September dropped off fairly significantly h1-h2; I don't see October doing the same without first warming (or at least stabilising), and the projections for h1 look fairly mild, and I'm biased to the projection I must admit because it's roughly what I'd expected before now.

So, say 12 by around midway; October rarely drops off more than 1-1.5C, so with half an eye on my recent error I'm going to pitch low 11s, with a horrible feeling that I might be doing a reverse Tamara...

Posted
10.6 as a first attempt.

S'funny guessing about the CET when it's usually cooler here - the CET seems almost balmy in comparison at times. Is there a CST I wonder?

LadyPakal there is no 'official' MO CST series but Philip Eden has constructed an 'unofficial' CST (see his website: climate-uk).

Regards

ACB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather

Tough, tough call. Probably the hardest call so far because we face the choice between a very warm and below average pattern, poised on a knifedge.

A trough in the Atlantic is an absolutely certainty as events in the Pacific take effect. Without lots of effective blocking, this is a warm pattern. However, the SSTA is predisposed to a -NAO and we are due some -AO although perhaps not the rampant -AO that is due for November.

Therefore, something of a pattern change mid month to a -NAO / -AO, but not totally sustained and the warmth to outweigh the cold, just. A month of extremes also. The first 10 days will deliver a +1.6 to +2 anomaly although some doubt beyond six days.

11.2 C please.

Tough, tough call. Probably the hardest call so far because we face the choice between a very warm and below average pattern, poised on a knifedge.

A trough in the Atlantic is an absolutely certainty as events in the Pacific take effect. Without lots of effective blocking, this is a warm pattern. However, the SSTA is predisposed to a -NAO and we are due some -AO although perhaps not the rampant -AO that is due for November.

Therefore, something of a pattern change mid month to a -NAO / -AO, but not totally sustained and the warmth to outweigh the cold, just. A month of extremes also. The first 10 days will deliver a +1.6 to +2 anomaly although some doubt beyond six days.

11.2 C please.

My rainiest congrats on you becoming a council member!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

A near average first week, much above average from then until midmonth, but a cool final third, so I go for:

11.6C

Posted

Sorry missed the deadline by a few minutes - I wait your judgement as to whether I face a deduction!

My punt is for a pleasant warm October with a rare visitation for this year of TC air. Colder final third of the month.

11.7C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

yeah me 2 ..i ben away for a long weekend..jus got home..anyways 10.4c please

Posted

Remind me NEVER to predict a below average month again, it's a jinx, the only time I've done this is April, and look how successful that was :whistling:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_London_ens.png

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/MT8_Manchester_ens.png

I think it's a strong possibility that in 10 or so days time we will be talking about a possible record month ;)

Edited by Duncan McAlister

Posted
I think it's a strong possibility that in 10 or so days time we will be talking about a possible record month :whistling:

Steady on there! 10 days is a long time in meteorology...