Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Help with a tree

Anti-Mild

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

On the walk home from the Mini A-M's school there are about a dozen trees of a type that I am unable to identify. Unfortunately I do not have my camera to hand so I will try to describe it as best I can and hope that a learned member can help me out:

the tree has pale green/yellow leaves now whereas they are bright green in the summer, the leaves are similar to a beech tree (serrated and oval shaped) although they are larger and not glossy on the top, a small reddish-orange berry about the size of a grape has appeared although they are not in every tree, and the trunk (which is about 18 inches across and 6-8 feet in height) has pale orange horizontal lines scattered about it from top to bottom.

Can anybody help me? Thanks.

AM

p.s. if I get the time I'll take a pic and post it on here to assist in identification.

Posted
At a guess without any pictures for now I would say a wild cherry. :lol:

Hmmm, I thought it was some kind of birch tree but after having looked at some pics on Google I would have to say that the wild cherry is now number one suspect. Many thanks snowbear!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
Definitely not a Birch. Could possibly be a Whitebeam but I'd say Wild Cherry too.

Yes or Swedish Whitebeam, both commonly planted as a street tree by many a council. Its way too late for cherries.

Posted

I've been having a look at images on Google of the Swedish Whitebeam and the Wild Cherry and I would say that the leaves of the cherry most closely resemble the leaves on the trees nearby.

Thanks to all.

Posted
I've been having a look at images on Google of the Swedish Whitebeam and the Wild Cherry and I would say that the leaves of the cherry most closely resemble the leaves on the trees nearby.

Thanks to all.

no offence intended but seing as your in CLeveland, it could be an ICI mutation of any generic species :yahoo::):)

Edited by peterf

Posted
no offence intended but seing as your in CLeveland, it could be an ICI mutation of any generic species :shok::shok::shok:

None taken. I'm not from Cleveland, I just have the misfortune of living here :lol: !

Besides I live on the far southern outskirts of Middlesbrough, 10 minutes from the moors and Guisborough Woods. It's quite nice really as long as I avoid going to town ;) !

I found it on Wikipedia...I didn't discover the thing myself!

Out of curiosity I looked and it's (ahem) interesting, but it does beg the questions; who first discovered it and why did they make the link with that ?

Edited by Anti-Mild

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Cherry trees have no fruit at this time of year, Whitebeam either Swedish, or just plain old English on the other hand do have fruit at this time of year. There are possible exceptions like various exotic trees that councils occasionally plant because they look good. Without a picture this is imposable to confirm.

Russ