Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

White Christmas

hollisk

Posted

I Can remember in 2000 when i lived in Blackpool, we had light snow flurries xmas night, then the following day ( or day after i just really remember the snow lol )frost and ice stayed on the ground all day and it was really cold ( i think it was most likely an ice day), but sunny till the evening, when we had a trumendous snow shower and covered absoultly everything with about an inch to three inches of snow especailly in some spots near the town center, and as we drove down the prom it had even settled on the beach! further snow showers the follwing day, we had tiny icecles dangling off the roofs, it didnt snow till new years eve after that, but the snow remained apart from on roofs of houses and the main roads, then we got black ice as the snow froze on the untreated roads oh what glorious fun, best snow i have ever seen.

Then there was 2001, again xmas day night, it snowed but this time it was a proper heavy snow shower, and we got a breif layer of slush on some surfaces, we then went to Manchester on Boxing day and from Preston onwards, there was snow as far as the eye could see it was magnificent never seen anything like it, all the feilds houses hills covered in snow, great xmas.

Then the most recent one 2004, after i moved to Devon in 2002, we had sleet/rain showers all morning but the sleet basically counted as a white xmas, but then it chucked it down with snow that afternoon for about 40 mins or so, and again we got a breif covering of slush, the higher routes it settled abit better.

Sorry if i've board anyone with this lol

Edited by Devon-Nelly

Posted
There's probably more chance of me finding a chocolate covered Kylie in my stocking than waking up to a white Xmas.

what you mean .0001% as opposed to .00001%?

There's probably more chance of me finding a chocolate covered Kylie in my stocking than waking up to a white Xmas.

You should be so lucky. ;)

2 white Christmasses here since 2000. in 2001 and 2004, both with falling snow in the evening and giving a complete covering of snow, around 4 inches in 2001 and 1-2 inches in 2004, although most of it thawed by Boxing Day morning in 2004.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

i had a white xmas in 1995 and 2004, not bad 2 out of 9. ;)

Edited by stormforce 10

Posted

Well, I don't think I've ever seen a 'proper' white Christmas. The closest I got was 1981 when there was snow on the ground, but it didn't actually snow so it didn't quite count.

:lol:

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
You should be so lucky. :lol:

2 white Christmasses here since 2000. in 2001 and 2004, both with falling snow in the evening and giving a complete covering of snow, around 4 inches in 2001 and 1-2 inches in 2004, although most of it thawed by Boxing Day morning in 2004.

I had a similar White Christmas in 1993, with showers of wet snow during the day, providing accumulations during the evening. Lancaster apparently had a similar one in 2004 (though I was at home in Tyne & Wear so missed it). The other one I had was in 1995, with 2-3 inch snow cover and snow showers on and off throughout the day.

Technical "white Christmasses" also occurred in 1996, 1999 and 2001, but I personally don't think a two-minute flurry of wet snow really constitutes a white Christmas.

Posted
I had a similar White Christmas in 1993, with showers of wet snow during the day, providing accumulations during the evening. Lancaster apparently had a similar one in 2004 (though I was at home in Tyne & Wear so missed it). The other one I had was in 1995, with 2-3 inch snow cover and snow showers on and off throughout the day.

Technical "white Christmasses" also occurred in 1996, 1999 and 2001, but I personally don't think a two-minute flurry of wet snow really constitutes a white Christmas.

hi tws. :lol: no i dont think it does either, but if anyones a betting man and one flake falls on the roof of the weather centre, then it does.

Posted
Well, I don't think I've ever seen a 'proper' white Christmas. The closest I got was 1981 when there was snow on the ground, but it didn't actually snow so it didn't quite count.

I remember that one quite well myself, we had a blizzard on the 13th with the snow staying until after Boxing day, to me that was a white christmas, i cannot see how 1 single snowflake on the met office roof can be a white christmas.

Les

Posted

27th Dec 2000 was close albeit the wrong side of christmas but felt festive anyhow.Clump of showers merged and pushed across from Galway bay in the west of Ireland and dumped 2" of snow on me here in Dublin.Wasn't forecast and which made it all the better.

2004,only a slight dusting christmas morning but was a nice to see.Have yet to see a decent Dublin white christmas with >1cm in my 30 plus years existence on this island. :wallbash:

Posted
I remember that one quite well myself, we had a blizzard on the 13th with the snow staying until after Boxing day, to me that was a white christmas, i cannot see how 1 single snowflake on the met office roof can be a white christmas.

Les

No, I can't see it either. I too think that a proper white Christmas involves having lying snow. I've had a few near misses mind. In 1996, we had a snowfall on 27th December and then in 2000 we had a snowfall on December 28th. Also, 2001 was a cold festive period, but didn't see any snow in my area.

:wallbash:

Edited by Don

Posted
No, I can't see it either. I too think that a proper white Christmas involves having lying snow.

:)

yes i believe this too, a proper white xmas is snow fallina all around and sticking, but from a punters view it actually increases their chances of winning, just getting that single snowflake, which would be very weird, just getting one snowflake coming from the sky.

27th Dec 2000 was close albeit the wrong side of christmas but felt festive anyhow.Clump of showers merged and pushed across from Galway bay in the west of Ireland and dumped 2" of snow on me here in Dublin.Wasn't forecast and which made it all the better.

2004,only a slight dusting christmas morning but was a nice to see.Have yet to see a decent Dublin white christmas with >1cm in my 30 plus years existence on this island. :wallbash:

hi snowbie :) yes 2004 was good to see snow falling early xmas morning, topped it all off really after opening all the pressies, a sight to behold.

Posted

Wow that 1993 one has really brought back some memories for me TWS, my Wife went into labour that

evening and I had to clear the snow off the car, or I made the wife do it, I cant remember :wallbash: and then dash

to the hospital. My son was born the next morning on the Boxing day.

Im not sure having loads of snow on christmas day is a good thing.

Obviously it would look good and feel really christmasy but with prezzies and dinner there isnt really much to time to go outside and play in or enjoy the snow, and in the todays climate it is likely to melt before even boxing day. But if it was still there on boxing day, maybe with a bit more added, it would be bloody brilliant!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I remember playing outside quite a bit during the 1995 one, I remember going into the back garden for a bit that morning, and having a three-way snowball fight between 2 and 3pm that afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
I remember playing outside quite a bit during the 1995 one, I remember going into the back garden for a bit that morning, and having a three-way snowball fight between 2 and 3pm that afternoon.

We spent that Christmas at my parents house in the Central Highlands and can remember it clearly. Unfortunately as all the snow fell at a temperature well below freezing and as it cleared at lunchtime the temps fell even further it was impossible to make a snowball, never mind a snowman as the snow was pure powder and would not stick. However it did drift brilliantly with a level cover of about 6 inches but drifts many feet deep.

These were the days. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

i hate snow and i hate crimbo even more.... a white crimbo = hell.

Posted
i hate snow and i hate crimbo even more.... a white crimbo = hell.

I love Christmas and I possibly love snow even more. A white christmas = heaven, absolutely magical! Opening presents, siting in the armchair looking out the window across the countryside and watching the snow fall - wonderful.

Posted
I love Christmas and I possibly love snow even more. A white christmas = heaven, absolutely magical! Opening presents, siting in the armchair looking out the window across the countryside and watching the snow fall - wonderful.

Indeed, waking up to thick snow on Christmas morning with it still falling would be heaven. I MAY experience it one day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

I think that snow in the few days leading up to Christmas is the best. It gives a really festive feel, and also is less liekly to cause disruption as children are off school, many people are off work, and most people stay at home preparing for Christmas. I would never complain about a white Christmas, although it is if you think about it, about the worst day of the year to have snow! (Well maybe not as bad as having snow during your holidays in July, but you know what I mean!)

Edited by suffolkboy_

Posted

I'm really enjoying reading this thread :o It makes me go Ahhhhhh, just thinking about that lovely

snow at Christmas time. I cant think of anything nicer than Christmas with Snow and the roaring log

fire and having the children and family around me.

My son was a little too young to appreciate our last snow event, but he would really enjoy it now.

If it snowed this Christmas it would be so magical IMO.