Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

White Christmas

hollisk

Posted
i hate snow and i hate crimbo even more.... a white crimbo = hell.

:o

Im with you Mushy because I cannot stand christmas and im always pleased when it's over!.

Love snow though :)

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
Im with you Mushy because I cannot stand christmas and im always pleased when it's over!.

Love snow though :)

I bet I can guess why you hate xmas TEITS, all the relatives around and the kiddies so your not aloud to sit on the computer all day smoking your usual 40 marlboro! LMAO :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.
I bet I can guess why you hate xmas TEITS, all the relatives around and the kiddies so your not aloud to sit on the computer all day smoking your usual 40 marlboro! LMAO :D

:D:D yeah me too, i love xmas but dont think the the missus will let me near the pc or it could be grounds for divorce. :D:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Chances of a white Xmas this year? minimal

I would love to see several feet of even snow on Christmas morning, but don't think i will see it this year. :D

Posted
Chances of a white Xmas this year? minimal

I would love to see several feet of even snow on Christmas morning, but don't think i will see it this year. :D

why not? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Whats snow ? :D

Posted

Im not much of a brain box when it comes to the defineing features of what causes us to get cold winters. My understanding of it is that the sst's and ground temps have a large role to play in the weather we get :D .....so....... because we have had the wettest summer on record surely all the cold fresh rain water draining to the sea and the coldish weather temps will keep sst's down and play a role in wether we get snow at x-mas or not?!

As I said Im only a noob but i think some people will be suprised by the result this december.(probably me!!!) :D:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
Indeed, waking up to thick snow on Christmas morning with it still falling would be heaven. I MAY experience it one day!

:lol:

In the 1995 event there was a two-hour snowfall on Christmas Eve, which didn't settle initially but then settled as the snow got heavier and temperatures dropped, this snow cover stuck around for the rest of the day.

Woke up Christmas morning, it wasn't snowing, but there was a large slate-grey cloud overhead, clear blue sky could be seen on the western horizon (typical of east-coast snow shower scenarios with northerly winds near the east coast) and very dark-looking snow clouds to the north and east. There had probably just been a snow shower, and I remember there being one shortly afterwards.

Posted

This may not be of importance but interesting to note that Ken Ring predicts a white Xmas for the UK this year, with cool weather from October to Xmas before it turns milder again early 2008. Then record breaking warmth for London on Xmas day 2008...

Posted
This may not be of importance but interesting to note that Ken Ring predicts a white Xmas for the UK this year, with cool weather from October to Xmas before it turns milder again early 2008. Then record breaking warmth for London on Xmas day 2008...

is he reliable?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Beware of some of the severe winter forecasts that are so frequently published in the press and other media at this time of year, often these are originated by professional firms trying to make a name for themselves, or even just amateurs who would like to claim success and thus quickly establish themselves as weather prophets. If you believe them, 99% of the time you are going to be dissapointed. However, I have noticed that the University of Berlin have issued forecasts for a cool winter. We will have to wait and see, it's all part of the fun.

Edited by suffolkboy_

Posted
Beware of some of the severe winter forecasts that are so frequently published in the press and other media at this time of year, often these are originated by professional firms trying to make a name for themselves, or even just amateurs who would like to claim success and thus quickly establish themselves as weather prophets. If you believe them 99% of the time you are going to be dissapointed. However, I have noticed that the University of Berlin have issued forecasts for a cool winter. We will have to wait and see, it's all part of the fun.

thats it suffolk boy, the chase is on! :drunk:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Just to back up what I said earlier; here is a bit of classic advertising from Metcheck back in 2004, trying to get more of a name for theirselves by bating the media with shock forecasts. It's very common. If they had have been correct then everybody would see Metcheck as weather prophets. But after they were wrong, people just tend to blame weather forecasters in general, or not even remember at all.

From the BBC News Website 13th October 2004

Prepare for one of the coldest winters on record, forecasters who predicted this summer's rain have advised - but the Met Office is not so sure.

Metcheck.com predicts regular cold snaps until Christmas and prolonged bleak spells in January.

The firm correctly forecast the deluges that hit Britain in the summer.

But the long view is not shared by all. The Met Office, which issues a 4-week forecast, said it is "very difficult" to forecast so far in advance.

Metcheck.com senior forecaster Andrew Bond said: "From what we are predicting, Britain could see its coldest winter of the century so far.

He predicted bitterly cold winds in the south and snowfall in the north and said there would then be a very cold spell between 22-27 November.

Edited by suffolkboy_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening
Just to back up what I said earlier; here is a bit of classic advertising from Metcheck back in 2004, trying to get more of a name for theirselves by bating the media with shock forecasts. It's very common. If they had have been correct then everybody would see Metcheck as weather prophets. But after they were wrong, people just tend to blame weather forecasters in general, or not even remember at all.

From the BBC News Website 13th October 2004

Prepare for one of the coldest winters on record, forecasters who predicted this summer's rain have advised - but the Met Office is not so sure.

Metcheck.com predicts regular cold snaps until Christmas and prolonged bleak spells in January.

The firm correctly forecast the deluges that hit Britain in the summer.

But the long view is not shared by all. The Met Office, which issues a 4-week forecast, said it is "very difficult" to forecast so far in advance.

Metcheck.com senior forecaster Andrew Bond said: "From what we are predicting, Britain could see its coldest winter of the century so far.

He predicted bitterly cold winds in the south and snowfall in the north and said there would then be a very cold spell between 22-27 November.

IMHO Metcheck are absolute idiots at times, but have predicted weather correctly on a number of occasions for me, particularly xmas 2005 when it forecast snow on xmas eve a few days before. If I recall, they were one of the first to predict this. They really can be a bit of an unkown quantity, so don't use metcheck as a sole forecast source would be my advice.

Posted

Forecast headline

At this point we still think the probabilities favour average to mild

conditions on Christmas day with any snow probably being restricted to higher ground in Scotland and possibly northern England.

Probabilities

Northern areas of the UK are considered to have a 15% chance of a white christmas.

Southern areas of the UK are considered to have a 15% chance of a white christmas.

Forecast issued

Update 1, 09/09/2007

Update 2, 10/10/2007

Update 3, 14/10/2007

from http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoplus/t...x?type=for_xmas

Posted
The Met Office, which issues a 4-week forecast, said it is "very difficult" to forecast so far in advance.

It is though! They thought it would be the warmest summer on record but it wasn't very warm was it?

Posted
It is though! They thought it would be the warmest summer on record but it wasn't very warm was it?

no they didn't! They said they thought the average temperture would be slightly up on average whereas "the average daily maximum temperature was just below average, whilst average daily minimum temperatures were just above average".

It was the coolest UK summer since 1998 which I guess they did miss in their forecast although it was always a possibiity.

Posted
no they didn't! They said they thought the average temperture would be slightly up on average whereas "the average daily maximum temperature was just below average, whilst average daily minimum temperatures were just above average".

sorry maybe that was slightly exaggerated they still said it was going to be warm. Any way back on topic i don't know if it will be a white xmas and the the odds arent high for where i live.

Posted
sorry maybe that was slightly exaggerated they still said it was going to be warm. Any way back on topic i don't know if it will be a white xmas and the the odds arent high for where i live.

well the way the models are going its worth a flutter. :) you never kno you might get a white xmas with plenty of money to collect in the new year. :o

Posted

i dont think i can remember the last white xmas i had, i know we missed out by a couple of days a few years ago

Posted

Indded, they did say that there wa a 1 in 8 chance of record temperatures being reached, similar to or surpassing 2006.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...
i dont think i can remember the last white xmas i had, i know we missed out by a couple of days a few years ago

I'm convinced that we had snow on Xmas Day in Huddersfield 2 or three years ago. I remember becuase the MiL was staying over and was panicking about driving back home to Bury in it. It was a crispy morning and it had snowed lightly through the night and then more light snow as we were eating breakfast. Worked out as only a dusting but it still counts, doesn't it?

Posted
I'm convinced that we had snow on Xmas Day in Huddersfield 2 or three years ago. I remember becuase the MiL was staying over and was panicking about driving back home to Bury in it. It was a crispy morning and it had snowed lightly through the night and then more light snow as we were eating breakfast. Worked out as only a dusting but it still counts, doesn't it?

hi :huh: yes we had snow on xmas 2004.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Forecast headline

At this point we still think the probabilities favour average to mild conditions on Christmas day, but we now consider the chances of cold and snow to be significantly higher than when we last updated the forecast.

Probabilities

Northern areas of the UK are considered to have a 30% chance of a white christmas.

Southern areas of the UK are considered to have a 20% chance of a white christmas.

Forecast issued

Update 1, 09/09/2007

Update 2, 10/10/2007

Update 3, 14/10/2007

Update 4, 11/11/2007

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/...x?type=for_xmas