Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Benefits of global warming;

Cat 5

Posted

Since 1497 we have been looking for ways of shipping via the most direct routes. The more the ice melts, the easier the use of the North West passage is. Great for trade and enterprise.

According to the World Bank, one-third of the world's population already suffers from chronic water shortages. Global warming would mean more condensation and more evaporation, producing more and/or heavier rains. Global warming, therefore, could offer the answer to the water scarcity problem that the Worldwatch Institute has been seeking.

As I live in Scotland I am thinking that a warmer climate would not be a bad thing here...! Also perhaps increase in tourism!?

I am not so sure we as the human race should get involved to much in changing the course of nature in any case.

Posted
As I live in Scotland I am thinking that a warmer climate would not be a bad thing here...! Also perhaps increase in tourism!?

Ooooooo yes...more midges, more rain and flooding, more disruption to our crops and native animals thus affecting the food chain, more waterborn diseases, more bluetongue...hey, you never know we might even get malaria if we're really lucky....

I for one can't wait.....

[sorry, that was a bit harsh (can you tell I've got a teething toddler????), but as far as I get it, it won't just mean some hotter days, it will mean an increase in storms, rain and wet]

Global warming will certainly bring a lot of benefits. Decrease in deaths from hyopthermia, the ability to grow different crops. Some species that prefer warmth that once struggled here will thrive, new species will arrive from abroad and take the place those who can't tolerate the increased warmth well. Also many places that were difficult to inhabit will become much more suited to people, such as siberia, Canada etc. There will of course be a lot of downsides too, whether these will outweigh the good things is something I'm unsure of.

Edited by Magpie

Posted

Magpie - the thing to keep in mind is that climate is changing. I do not agree that we can control this. We can perhaps prevent but not cure.

In response to Roo's points perhaps I am of the opposite opinion but I very rarley here anyone talking of the plus points and all you hear about is that it is a bad thing.

Posted
Magpie - the thing to keep in mind is that climate is changing. I do not agree that we can control this. We can perhaps prevent but not cure.

In response to Roo's points perhaps I am of the opposite opinion but I very rarley here anyone talking of the plus points and all you hear about is that it is a bad thing.

There's no constant in climate,only constant change. People should be thankful that it is apparently tending towards warm than cold and stop moaning about it. If it was tending towards cold then that would be something to worry about. Sooner or later that's the direction it'll be heading in,-inevitable. And boy will we wish for the good ol' days of 'global warming'.

There's no constant in climate,only constant change. People should be thankful that it is apparently tending towards warm than cold and stop moaning about it. If it was tending towards cold then that would be something to worry about. Sooner or later that's the direction it'll be heading in,-inevitable. And boy will we wish for the good ol' days of 'global warming'.

That's true. I think a cooling Earth would be more of a worry. Imagine if we were heading into an Ice Age with much of the northern hemisphere covered in an ice sheet, making it almost entirely uninhabitable.

It's true that very little is mentioned of the benefits of global warming which will be enormous. Now, of course there will be negative consequences, but I think in general we will adapt pretty well and take advantage of the good effects. Humans are exceptionally adaptable. I don't think it will be catastrophe as many think. I don't know how things will plan out, to be honest, and whether it will be ultimately a good or bad thing, but it's not one way all out bad.

Edited by Magpie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

This discussion rather puts me in mind of seeing a problem that can be addressed, but thinking "oh well, worse things could happen" and "that's life" and "everything happens for a reason", etc etc.

If humans are influencing the climate (remember that this is likely because there are many ways in which humans are pumping out pollutants, and it's not just CO2 by any means) we don't know how much of an influence humans can have. It could be small, but then again, it could be very large.

As any human-induced change will be already underway, it can't be completely stopped, but it can be reduced in extent, via more sustainable management, fewer emissions etc. As I often say with respect to issues like the punishment of the many because of the few, if a problem can't be eliminated, that doesn't mean that it can't be helped.

There may well be benefits to 'global warming', particularly in certain parts of the world, though you can't be sure that the arid parts of the world will become wetter- some regions, e.g. Sahel, have actually become drier over the past 30 years. But again, if there is a significant human component (which there may be), the temperature could rise at too high and rapid a rate for humans in many regions to adapt to.

Posted
You have midges in St Albans!?

Not yet....but my parents are in scotland! :o :)

Not yet....but my parents are in scotland! :o :)

I think the thing that really bothers me, is not what effect it will have, but how we cope with it, and whether we will be able to: as a country, the minute it floods or gets too hot the whole infrastructure collapses. That to me is the scary bit.

Posted
Since 1497 we have been looking for ways of shipping via the most direct routes. The more the ice melts, the easier the use of the North West passage is. Great for trade and enterprise.

According to the World Bank, one-third of the world's population already suffers from chronic water shortages. Global warming would mean more condensation and more evaporation, producing more and/or heavier rains. Global warming, therefore, could offer the answer to the water scarcity problem that the Worldwatch Institute has been seeking.

I am not so sure we as the human race should get involved to much in changing the course of nature in any case.

Morning, cat 5. It looks like you've been trawling the internet for some ideas; good for you. It's a curious idea that global warming would be good for trade and enterprise. I suppose there is plenty of demand for new housing around New Orleans at the moment. There's probably plenty of demand for clean, drinkable water in most of Central Africa at the moment, too, and demand for storm shelters in the Far East; indeed, for the enterprising entrepreneur, global warming will offer many new opportunities...

If you go to the Worldwatch Institute's website, you should find a couple of documents which explain why the organisation is worried about GW, and not looking forward to it. more drought, more flash-floods and more precipitation over oceans does not necessarily amount to more drinking water for people already living in marginal conditions, or for a solution to the problems of the 1/6 of the world's population which depends on glacial outflow for the majority of its water supply.

You are right, global warming may well change Scotland's weather. There is a lot of uncertainty about exactly what might change and when, but the current suggestions are that Scotland will become milder in the Winter and wetter in the Summer. Perhaps there's a business opportunity in selling all that extra water to the people who are dying because they don't have it. I wouldn't worry too much about tourism; most of the available housing in the country is more likely to be occupied by people from around the world who have been displaced from their homes by changes in their regional climate. As Scotland becomes ever more temperate, we can look forward to the end of all those 'unproductive' moorlands, an end to Winter snowfall and frosts, and a thoroughly 'improved' country, filled with people from around the world who don't want to live in the Mediterranean region any more, and have right of residence by virtue of their membership of the EU.

The problem is not that we want to change the course of nature, it is that we have changed it and are continuing to change it. This will have an impact everywhere, not just in the countries currently afflicted by drought, flooding, conflict or poverty. However nice it is to imagine it, even scotland is not going to be immune from the effects, and the benefits to the local economy or agriculture need to be weighed against many other serious factors.

Hope this help place the matter into context...

:)P

Posted

Hey good reply there Parmenides...

I do not mean to appear blazé regarding the green house effect, global warming or indeed any change to the environment.

I am just surprised at the lack of discussion in the media regarding the positives that will occur and how we can turn a bad situation good.

Know what I mean Arry ?

Posted
Hey good reply there Parmenides...

I do not mean to appear blazé regarding the green house effect, global warming or indeed any change to the environment.

I am just surprised at the lack of discussion in the media regarding the positives that will occur and how we can turn a bad situation good.

Know what I mean Arry ?

Actually, I think this is a very important point. As we know, many people feel that discussions of the environment, the climate and the future are depressing, or too polemical, or just irritating. This is at least in part because there are a lot of messages of 'doom and gloom' out there. I will point out, briefly, that once again it is the media which tends to make us think along these lines, with a disaster or catastrophe around every corner, whether its climate change or the price of ice-cream.

A positive approach might be a lot more constructive, and might give people some hope about the future, rather than despair. And there are reasons for hope, not least of which is our fantastic capacity as human beings to adapt to changing circumstances and cope with adversity. But there are still important questions to answer, even if we do agree that it isn't too late to act (which it isn't). Like; do we have the technology to do the jobs required? Where should we build houses in the next twenty years? or what energy pathway should we try to follow?

Many of the questions posed by climate change can be addressed and answers can be given. Some of the possible consequences can be avoided and those 'wrost case scenarios' can be forestalled (probably). But the longer we do nothing, make no decisions, and avoid dealing with the problems, the harder it gets to act effectively, and the more people and ecosystems will suffer unncessarily.

:)P

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I think it'll herald a new dawn for humanity.

Once we're over the unfortunate business of loosing two thirds of the worlds population both famine and the energy crisis will be no more.

With the knowledge gained from the Apocalypse mankind will be ever more careful not to fall foul to the same set of mistakes again.

With the help of modern technology/medicine we can look forward to a much more progressive and equitable global society where most disease will be eradicated (Aids will have died a 'natural death' during the Apocalypse and the Malaria ridden areas as were will be 10's of metres below the new sea level)

New farming practises and farming technologies (including Biotechnologies) we will have relegated famine to the history books.

So, see you on the other side eh?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

Once we're over the unfortunate business of loosing two thirds of the worlds population both famine and the energy crisis will be no more.

With the knowledge gained from the Apocalypse mankind will be ever more careful not to fall foul to the same set of mistakes again.

With the help of modern technology/medicine we can look forward to a much more progressive and equitable global society where most disease will be eradicated (Aids will have died a 'natural death' during the Apocalypse and the Malaria ridden areas as were will be 10's of metres below the new sea level)

New farming practises and farming technologies (including Biotechnologies) we will have relegated famine to the history books.

I got to say GW you could make winning the lottery sound depressing, you make me feel suicidal :)

Posted
I got to say GW you could make winning the lottery sound depressing, you make me feel suicidal :)

Perhaps blissful ignorance is better?

Posted

I think that maybe this is the problem with the folk who cannot/will not accept mans role in our current warming nor the consequences of it. There is no 'soft landing' ,in fact the way things are there isn't even an option.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has any realistic plans for mitigation in our circumstance (esp. with China/India fast getting up to speed with there outputs.......already 10yrs in front of themselves, and IPCC predictions, according to Australias leading AGW 'know it all').

Yeah, nobody wishes to stare into the abyss, far nicer distractions to engage in aren't there? Doen't mean the abyss goes away though does it?

Each and every cloud has a silver lining......... the art of maintaing a pleasant life experience is mastering the ability of turning adversity into advantage (isn't it) ,eh?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

That's very true. This level of civilization can't continue forever. All civilizations come to an end eventually, maybe global warming will just hurry it along. No living on Mars for us.

Posted

Gray-Wolf,don't take this the wrong way (I enjoy your posts and largely agree with your views ),but just lately a lot of your posts have been hinting darkly at one,undefined event (which has just acquired a name-Apocalypse). Do you know something we don't?? I get the feeling that there's something you want to get off your chest but fear ridicule so you're hinting at something which we'll only 'get' when the penny drops ,rather than just coming out and saying it. I often go on about the change in world order due to energy depletion/conflict,population explosion,credit collapse etc. Are you barking up the same tree,or what? How do you figure we're 'going to lose two thirds of the world's population'? That's a pretty bold statement,to say the least!

Straying a little here,so where does global warming come into all this?

Edited by laserguy

Posted

Sorry to be so 'Dark' of late. The summer of no sun and the record Arctic melt is chillingly (sorry for the pun) in line with posts going back to the BBC days. It is always hard to see your own predictions/conclusions made flesh and this year this is how it appears (to me at least!)

The ridicule will come from my status of being the latest in a history of 'gifted folk' in my family (down my father and his mums line...the Gray's that is the line of of which one of my great uncles was the first Chelsea pensioners ever to be 'thrown out' for being drunk on parade back in the 30's.....tee hee, they only do the Queens birthday and Armistice Sunday!) and it is always hard for me to figure out whether I'm 'logic-ing' or 'scrying' or a mixture of both when I'm mulling things over. I post what I feel and 'know' is to pass.

I try as hard as I'm able to stay 'within the science' 'cause I've known,and know, too many charlatans claiming to have what I wish I hadn't got! The 'Goal' (for me) remains to find the most reasonable 'pathway' for us to end up where I know we will. My money (as you probably suspect) is on the catastrophic collapse of the Ross Embayment and the unleashing of the Glaciers behind. This event, over a few short years, would lead to the economic collapse of the developed world and the end of any aid to the developing world set against the 'land pressures' such an inundation would facilitate.

There! Bones laid bare. I await the giggles......

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

I take it you know the stats on relationship breakups after lottery wins then...........

Posted
I take it you know the stats on relationship breakups after lottery wins then...........

Hi GW:

Although my comments were a little tongue in cheek I guess there is a more serious element to them, I don't despute man has a significant role in GW but exactly how all the pieces fit together I am still undecided as I think many are. I don't agree with the starring into the abyss we are all domed scenario, maybe we won't get global agreement on emission cuts but that does not mean as species we will not continue to flurish. I genuinely believe whether we get agreements on CO2 we will not be able to cut nearly enough in the on coming decades to make any substantial difference to warming. Simply in the short term say 50 years we are going to live with what we get and that will mean adaptation to the changing planet. There will be some positives as there will be negatives, we have to negate the negs and turn the positives to our advantage. As a race we suffer many bad traits and certainly economic Vs environmental shows some of these up extremely well, but as well as these man is also very inventive and creative.

I am sure we will see changes in world order we have seen them many times before from the ancient Chinese to Romans through to today's, but basic human instincts will remain the same. I am a big fan of the saying 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger' and I see AGW as something that will advance us as a species, painful lessons often do!

As for your lotto analogy, maybe the relationship was not much good to start with and the money gives both the ability to go and live the lifes they both really want?

Posted

I most certainly agree with the 'that that doesn't kill you' stance and ,though my post may appear a tad dramatic, I do think we will face some torrid times in the near future.

I cannot foresee a time when any more than talk occurs regarding the meaningful reduction of emissions from the Far East and North America. The inaction there will not only queer any attempts at mitigating the changes but will also lead to a lot of folk sighting China,India and the U.S. as there own reason for inaction.

By the time we witness 'frightening' events directly linked to our warming it will be far too late to halt them, the only thing left will be save our future generations from more of the same and how pooh are we proving to be at that?

We can all 'talk the talk' but words are easy, it's our actions that define us.

Edited by Gray-Wolf