Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Austrian Weather report

Posted
  • Location: 900m ,Mühlbach am Hochkönig, Austrian Alps, ( 45mins due south of Salzburg)
  • Location: 900m ,Mühlbach am Hochkönig, Austrian Alps, ( 45mins due south of Salzburg)

Hi,

Haven't posted here for a while since last winter I think - but will I will try and post more when the snow arrives.

First proper snow today. :) ( not the first snow since we had falling snow in

September but did not settle). The mountains must have about 20cm or more

now.

We had a covering yesterday morning but even though it snowed all day the

laying snow melted. The temp was about 3oC. But last night the temp dropped

below freezing ( it is now -1oC) and this morning we have about 6 cm and it

is still snowing!!! :D

More is forecast tonight and tomorrow. This is very early for snow haven't

even got the snow tyres on yet!!!

I will upload some photos later.

Do people think there is going to be the season when we get a Scandinavian

High- if we do I think it could get very cold around here!!

Nigel

Posted

Hi,

Snowed all day!! We had 12 cm this morning.

Here are some pictures and video:-

DSCN3278.jpg

Picture006-1.jpg

DSCN3279.jpg

Picture007-2.jpg

Picture005-1.jpg

And Youtube:-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7cpvMb8BJeE

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SVU348kEByw

Posted

And I forgot this one:

DSCN3276.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Lol Zach.

Those pics make me slightly jealous! Lol. I hope we get a good dumping this year. Thats for everyone else too!

Nice pics though. It reminds me well of the February 8th and 9th Snows we had here in the Midlands this Year. :)

Posted

Hi,

It has now been snowing here non-stop for over 36 hours!! This usually happens when we get a north or north-eastern wind we just get loads of snow. On the radar there is no snow anywhere else but over us!!

The depth of snow is now about 30 cm, and looking at the radar quite a lot more to come!! Temp is -1oC.

http://www.wetteronline.de/dldlradf.htm

Amazing for October!!

I will post some more photos later.

Nigel

Edited by musicman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Morning,

30cms of continuous snowfall in parts of the East Tirol, Upper Austria and 20cm in higher parts of Styria, mostly above 500m. Even 10cm in Salzburg City.

Nice pic Musicman.

Thats a shot of Fieberbrunn Mountain at 790m asl

post-3489-1192960918_thumb.jpg

Edited by carinthian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Morning all,

Still it snows in the mountains. 50cm fall in 48 hours in some places. Snowing this morning in Katschberg with the advent of a cutting wind.

C

post-3489-1193035888_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Amazing, and to think when we went to Austria last December for the winter markets,not a single snow flake for the whole time we were there <_< :lol: .

Posted

Hi,

Snowed on and of all day yesterday but it had started to melt on the ground. But today temp is 0oC and it is snowing again!! Even the road is covered again. But it has forecast 12 oC by the weekend so it will melt by then . Although on the mountains it will not. We must have had about 30cm so far in the village and the mountains must have easily over 60 cm!! Lets hope its a good sign for the winter!!

Here is our local ski slope- unfortunately the lift were not opened but some people had climbed up. This is at the bottom of the lift at village level.

Sking at slope

My family walking in the snow on Sunday:-

Picture023.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture015.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Hi,

There are weather warnings out for Austria because of the risk of heavy snow this weekend.

I have just been out for a quick walk and there must be about 20 cm already!! DD

It has been snowing all day but not sticking but since dusk it has been. The temp is now -1oc and looking at this more to come:-

http://www.wetteronline.de/dldlradf.htm

The mountains must have loads now .This morning the official depth was 50 cm and it has snowed all day and all night so far.

I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Nigel

Posted

Hi,

We know have about 50cm of snow and it is still snowing!!! Still quite a lot on the radar although it has forecast to turn to sleet for a while tomorrow but it might not because the snow depth may keep the temp colder. We will have to see- it has forecast sleet or rain before and then it has remained snow. At the moment the long range forecast is for snow for the next week!![ :D ] and day time temp down to -2oC I will have to wait to see if this willl happen!!

Here are a few pictures taken this morning:-

Picture011-2.jpg

Picture012-1.jpg

Picture008-2.jpg

Picture015-1.jpg

Picture014-1.jpg

Picture021-1.jpg

Nigel

Posted

If it keeps this up youre gonna have to think about digging your house out.. let alone the car :D

I bet it rains on xmas day :)

Posted

great piccs and like most others very jealous

ah well only 9 weeks to go for skiing, fingers crossed the white stuff is there in plenty for January 2008!

Posted

Hi All

The austrian snow is amazing, I am trying to will it down towards the frnch/italian alps where I head for hopeful snow in 11 weeks time, arghhh that will take ages to arrive.

Hopefully it wont be as disastorous in terms of andorra last year!

John

Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

Just a quick report. Had rain yesterday but turned back to snow last night and it has been snowing since then.

We now have 80cm in the village and 150cm on he mountain.

I have now set up a webcam of my garden:-

http://austriasnow.camstreams.com/

It will only allow about 8 people on at the same time so you have to keep refreshing if it busy!! I am only just setting it up at the moment so I hope to improve on this with time.

Can anyone recommend a good webcam or a wireless one??

Hope you like it.

Nigel

Posted

cheers Nigel, how many of us would love to see a scene like that in our own back garden even just for a couple of days!

thanks for the link

enjoy the white stuff

Posted

Hi,

Its snowing again!! :) As id did yesterday. The official depth now is 80cm in the village. It has been that for the last 3 days even though it has been snowing since then. I think it because the snow has compacted due to the weight. The temp last night was -5 oC and is at the mo0ment -1.5 oC.

The lifts are open this weekend and so I should get my first ski of the season!! :)

The next village is still cut off due to Avalanche risk on the road which has been in place since Saturday.

I will try and post some new photos later.

Nigel