Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Oceans are 'soaking up less CO2'

Bobby

Posted
However it [N2] is far more dangerous then CO2.

I know we've been told to go back on topic, so I've quoted your post in the long extinct technical thread, from where we can debate to our hearts content.

Posted

If the "carbon sinks" are failing, no amount of reduction in anthropogenic emissions will make any difference, compared to the natural emissions of biosphere, geosphere and hydrosphere, which are orders of magnitude greater.

The only realistic course of action to reduce atmospheric CO2 may be industrial scale carbon fixation plants using efficient biological systems, such as photosynthetic algae (fermentors is not the correct word, I cannot think of a better term yet), utilizing the biomass produced to totally replace fossil fuel use. Ideal areas for such production would favour the desert regions of Africa and Australia, Middle East and Asia with an initial requirement for water supply and transport infrastructure, and minimal ecological disturbance.

At first the carbon footprint would be large, but increasing returns over time would shift the balance towards a net carbon removal from the atmosphere if the sums are done correctly, and if the CO2 sinks continue to fail. The energy yield could be huge, and various by-products, oxygen gas, protein, carbohydrates vitamins &c., could revolutionize some of our current manufacturing processes in use by health, food processing and pharmaceutical industries.

It may cause an interesting shift in world economics towards the tropical zones, and available energy resources shifting even further towards the Islamic nations.

Edited by Chris Knight

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody

I'm 17 and i'm french.... At the school they wonder to me (in order to the "TPE program") to make something about the global worming...

At the moment i'm looking for any information to the subject...

So i found your forum and that thread....

I'll be honesty with you.... i've not read all the reply.

And about the climate change i'm wondering if you guys think it's due to the CO2 in the atmosphere or if it's due to a natural climatic change....

thank in advance

Posted

Welcome to Netweather Alius.. :)

I don't think we have the answer either. There are many different thoughts and approaches to the subject and nothing is certain. The only thing we do know is that we are warming.

There are many threads within these walls and many links to different papers. Have a good read and don't be afraid to ask questions.. :)

Posted
Hi everybody

I'm 17 and i'm french.... At the school they wonder to me (in order to the "TPE program") to make something about the global worming...

At the moment i'm looking for any information to the subject...

So i found your forum and that thread....

I'll be honesty with you.... i've not read all the reply.

And about the climate change i'm wondering if you guys think it's due to the CO2 in the atmosphere or if it's due to a natural climatic change....

thank in advance

IMO, I think you will need to get to grips with the concept of climate 'forcings' - the various effects upon climate measured in W/m2. Scientists who have do this have come up with graphs like the one below (from the 'AR4'). So, a lot of 'anthropogenic' forcing (labelled 'other forcings') and some natural ones. But see how the figures for solar forcing are less than anthropogenic forcings? And notice how big volcanic eruptions can have marked climate forcing effect - but not often or for very long.

ar4forcings.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

It would appear that hurricanes can cause a 'blip' in carbon sinks too! Katrina laid waste so many trees from the coastal forest that the CO2 now being released is estimated to be 60-100% of the U.S. carbon sink provided by it's forrests.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/...7111525937.html

Makes you wonder at the destruction of the rainforrests (through man and global warming) and the 'input' that the loss of CO2 uptake/release of stored carbon will have!

Posted
It would appear that hurricanes can cause a 'blip' in carbon sinks too! Katrina laid waste so many trees from the coastal forest that the CO2 now being released is estimated to be 60-100% of the U.S. carbon sink provided by it's forrests.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/...7111525937.html

Makes you wonder at the destruction of the rainforrests (through man and global warming) and the 'input' that the loss of CO2 uptake/release of stored carbon will have!

So we can expect NASA (or the US Gov) to be planting lots of trees rather than using kilotons of fossil fuels over the next few years in getting stuff into space or wiping out terrorist bunkers on the other side of the world as reparation?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
So we can expect NASA (or the US Gov) to be planting lots of trees rather than using kilotons of fossil fuels over the next few years in getting stuff into space or wiping out terrorist bunkers on the other side of the world as reparation?

No Chris, as in the southern states blighted by drought the Senator will call a public prayer meeting to ask their God to sort it out! When Bush says 'lets let technology sort out the mess' he probably means 'God will save us righteous or I'm back on the bottle....'

Edited by Gray-Wolf

IMO, I think you will need to get to grips with the concept of climate 'forcings' - the various effects upon climate measured in W/m2. Scientists who have do this have come up with graphs like the one below (from the 'AR4'). So, a lot of 'anthropogenic' forcing (labelled 'other forcings') and some natural ones. But see how the figures for solar forcing are less than anthropogenic forcings? And notice how big volcanic eruptions can have marked climate forcing effect - but not often or for very long.

ar4forcings.jpg

Ok thank you for the graph....

I've not understood what 'climate forcings' mean... but i notice how the 'other forcings' is going up between 1800-2000 and temperature too. Do you think there is a similarity between 'other forcings' going up and 'volcanic forcings' is very less in 1800 ?

i'm sorry about my rusty english !