Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Classic Forecast To Make Your Mouth Water

cold snap

Posted

This is just as Good, Oh How I long to see a forecast like this again!

2min 15sec will make your mouth drop open.

-5c Max Daytime

-16c Windchill

2 whole days of Snow from East Anglia to Cornwall :doh:

Paul Sherman

Posted

it was so cold that all the pipes inside and underground froze, never felt so cold in my life,i was working as a ferryman in a open top boat we still had to run, as it was the only way east portelmouth could get supplies. :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

oh i wish i was old enough to be around for that :doh: i wasnt even born then! the best snow I can remember is the one we had in feb, and going by what people are recalling from decades ago, it was nothing compared days gone by. but you never know, we could have one more forecast like that before the world boils!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

why cant that happen now, snow like that, even if we got that now it would be no where near that cold

Posted

Ha imagine if that did happen this winter. the whole country would be plunged into chaos. I would like to see it happen not only cos I love the cold weather but to see just how unprepared our country is for the climate we SHOULD have

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Just watched Ian MacCaskill's forecast for Feb 1991 and how much better are the old maps and symbols compared to the utter trash that we get on BBC forecasts nowadays - so much easier to see and understand, surely!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

What a gourmet feast of a forecast. I remember it well, we got 27cm of snow out that and a daytime max' of -5.6c on the 9th.

Cycling the 36 mile round trip to and from work wasn't exacly a barrel of laughs though, I had to put several layers of newspaper inside the cycling gear after getting frost bitten, shall we say, extremeties; not at all pleasant.

T.M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

I remember Feb 1991 and I love Ian MacCaskill's forecast. Living in a tiny East Anglian village we were cut off from Wednesday afternoon through to the end of the weekend. It was marvellous. Lying snow came up to my knees (and I have 32" legs) and we had blizzard conditions alternating with great, fat, soft flakes, for 3 days, that couldn't have been bettered by a Hollywood director. Although travelling anywhere by road was compromised, people seemed to cope calmly and farmers managed to deliver milk via tractors. We just waded through the snow with our jugs and took it straight from the churns. Stranded drivers were housed in and around the village and everyone helped the old and vulnerable in the area. And no dramatic media coverage with teams of urban journalists being sent out to gawp. I wonder what chance of something similar in the next few months? *she says wistfully*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I remember it well, lovely spot of weather; he's a pic taken then whilst living in Harrogate.

post-6280-1195001014_thumb.jpg

Edited by jethro

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Why thank you Tamara, it's a bit grainy, didn't have a digital camera back then so it's a picture of a picture, if you know what I mean.

I also found a couple more snow pics, this time from 30/31 Dec 1996. I have no idea how widespread the snow was then, at the time I was living in Church Fenton, North Yorks; I do however know it stretched right down the eastern side from Scotland to Yorks at least. We had been visiting the outlaws in Broughty Ferry, just outside Dundee, it was bitterly cold and had just begun to snow as we left for home mid-morningish. To be honest, we didn't think it would amount to much, there hadn't been anything drastic forecast, how wrong we were. Ordinarily the journey took about five hours with the wind behind, this time it took just over thirteen!! The snow just kept on getting heavier and heavier, the motorways had been gritted but to little effect other than to make everything very messy indeed, couldn't wash the screen as the water was frozen solid despite having copious amounts of antifreeze in it. With three children, one only a toddler and a very tetchy Old English Sheepdog all cooped up in a car for that length of time, it's a journey I'll never forget. The snow was fantastic though, in total I think we got about 8 inches, it was lovely dry, powdery stuff too and although he sun shone all the next day it didn't melt at all, far too cold. Sadly, as we moved to Somerset the following spring, this is the last time any of us have seen proper snow and for my son who was then a toddler, he cannot remember it at all.

post-6280-1195043142_thumb.jpg

post-6280-1195043177_thumb.jpg

Posted

This thread is killing me. I'm not sure whether to look back fondly at the past or to cry about our

recent winters. The forecasts really do make you realise what we have been missing.

I feel sorry for those younger than I am who haven't seen a decent Snow event during their lifetime.

Posted
This thread is killing me. I'm not sure whether to look back fondly at the past or to cry about our

recent winters. The forecasts really do make you realise what we have been missing.

I feel sorry for those younger than I am who haven't seen a decent Snow event during their lifetime.

Yes those forecasts were from before I was even born! Just seeing them is like staring into a different world, oh where have those days gone, I would give anything to get a few days of that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Brings back happy memories watching this forecast by the one and only Ian MacCaskill.

And what about the weather :bad: :lol: 16 years ago, I would have been 12yrs old :D -5C max in the day, -16C windchill, snow for days on end............I remember my dad taking me and my brother to Wemb's to watch England v Cameroon. I'm sure it was this cold spell, I remember watching the highlights when i got home and Match of the Day mentioned how cold it was for the players being -10C :o The fans were cold too <_<

The current BBC weather maps/graphics are utter trash, twaddle, bilge at there best and commiserating crap compared with the good ol' maps. I especially loved the pressure charts and temperature symbols. I need to get out more. :bad:

Mammatus

Edited by Mammatus

• 3 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

That is very amazing, snow almost everywhere in the UK. I was born on that winter to! Febuary 27th 1991 B)

Wish winters were like that these days...Maybe we will be lucky sometime :)

Jamie

Posted
That is very amazing, snow almost everywhere in the UK. I was born on that winter to! Febuary 27th 1991 :)

Wish winters were like that these days...Maybe we will be lucky sometime :)

Jamie

:) Exactly a year before me! I feel I am a jinx to these pathetic winters, as soon as I was born all weather ceased B)

Posted

I wish I could remember this winter but alas I just about remember the cold easterly shot of late Dec/early Jan 96/97 yet alone this cold shot. Still amazing set-up and some awesome snow and cold alas we can but pray to get something akin to that again at our shores.