Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Naked eye comet suddenly comes into view

Posted
Yes, a beautifully clear sky last night and Holmes still easily visible with the naked eye. Thru good binoculars it appears as a roughly spherical "smudge" and looks a little like a globular cluster.

smich

It was still an excellent object for binoculars, but seems to have faded to about magnitude 4, barely visible against the suburban light pollution around here.

Posted

Really, really good shots. I know how hard it is to capture anything like that. How come the comet is sharp whereas the stars have trails? Were you tracking the comet independently? I had no idea it was moving so much in such a short space of time.

Posted
Really, really good shots. I know how hard it is to capture anything like that. How come the comet is sharp whereas the stars have trails? Were you tracking the comet independently? I had no idea it was moving so much in such a short space of time.

I doubt if any tracking was involved, just the time exposure needed to image the comet, which is fuzzy, does not seem to have any elongation due to the rotation of the field of view, compared to the background stars.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

It's becoming an 'edge of yer eye' comet now though as it fades away. I hadn't known it did the same thing in 1898 though. They seem to reckon it's own internal gasses blow off a chunk (pancaked shaped?) every so often as it traverses around the sun. I have enjoyed it being up there though! What's next????

It's becoming an 'edge of yer eye' comet now though as it fades away. I hadn't known it did the same thing in 1898 though. They seem to reckon it's own internal gasses blow off a chunk (pancaked shaped?) every so often as it traverses around the sun. I have enjoyed it being up there though! What's next????

November 6 1892, actually.