Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SATSIGS

Posted
A question I've been meaning to ask, and which keeps me awake at night nearly as much as little WIB, is what happens to SATGITS when the science points to cold? Do you hibernate or emigrate to warmer climes? Or is it just unthinkable?

I think there have been many (actually, that clearly cannot be true) occasions in recent years when models have pointed to cold in near time, which is fair enough. There have even been fleeting instances of bona fide cold - which is no less exciting for SATSIGS than it is for anyone else. SATSIGS is purely there to warn against flagrant ramping, and is increasingly alive to gratuitous ramping to test the sensors - e.g. TWS pretending to get carried away.

I post for your edification the paper "Investigations into the Reliability of the Downgrade" from the Journal of the GFS Critical Society based in Baden-Progen Germany.

The authors would like to thank the GFS for bringing so many pretty blue and green colours to Fantasy Island. :drunk:

Great stuff Roger. I am increasingly of the view that FI blues and greens are the commercial equivalent for the model owners of cheap milk in supermarkets. Of no significance whatsoever to the bottom line, but they draw people in.

It's going to snow in London on the 10th November, this year. What level of ramp is that?

Gratuitous. Doesn't count. You're too smart to be a real ramper VP!

From Hastings today ...

ACB

Andrew, I'm sure you've made 'Hastings' up. You've been watching the rampometer too avidly methinks.

Posted
Well I for one, am not taking any chances this year. The builders have just finished work in my back garden on a construction scheme that rivals my nuclear fall out shelter of the early 1980's:

667.gif

Should'nt that be part of SACRA's arsenal? a snow ramp?

:drunk:

Edited by kentish_sally

Posted
Should'nt that be part of SACRA's arsenal? a snow ramp?

:lol:

:drunk: Damn I've been sussed, I've been watching too much Spooks on BBC 1 and thought I could get away with it b095.gif

Posted
:lol: Damn I've been sussed, I've been watching too much Spooks on BBC 1 and thought I could get away with it b095.gif

:D:D & Nice work on Monty Python's "Argument" in Signature. Seriously reminds me of model discussions. GFS Says it will snow. No it doesnt. Yes it does....

Posted

WiB - a most unlikely source given his new found affiliation - has brought to SATSIG's attention the fact that Michael Bond - and arguably, by proxy, Paddington Bear - are one-time major rampers. This poses a problem because SATSIGs is not strictly configured to adjudicate on historic ramps, however, freshly fallen snow in central London on bonfire night...he clearly spent too much time looking at the GFS of his day.

Posted
WiB - a most unlikely source given his new found affiliation - has brought to SATSIG's attention the fact that Michael Bond - and arguably, by proxy, Paddington Bear - are one-time major rampers. This poses a problem because SATSIGs is not strictly configured to adjudicate on historic ramps, however, freshly fallen snow in central London on bonfire night...he clearly spent too much time looking at the GFS of his day.

:D Well you've finally induced a smile from me. Indeed a hearty laugh!

He did write it in 1959. I've emailed him to ask if he was working from memory, or whether he is in fact a closet SACRA member.

Posted
:D Well you've finally induced a smile from me. Indeed a hearty laugh!

He did write it in 1959. I've emailed him to ask if he was working from memory, or whether he is in fact a closet SACRA member.

WiB talking of which when are you going to join :D

Posted

I did once have a brief moment, and then disgraced myself. I'd be worried that I wouldn't be allowed back.

However, if this counts as a membership statement, then I think we're in for a serious winter with some widespread cold, including snow, the like of which hasn't been seen since the mid 1980's in this country. It may even get as close as a 78/9.

And to think I've posted that on the SATSIGS thread. Such satisfaction.

Posted
I did once have a brief moment, and then disgraced myself. I'd be worried that I wouldn't be allowed back.

However, if this counts as a membership statement, then I think we're in for a serious winter with some widespread cold, including snow, the like of which hasn't been seen since the mid 1980's in this country. It may even get as close as a 78/9.

I'm impressed, I wouldn't have the courage to step into the lions den like that. If there's safety in numbers I support you all the way. Come on SATSIGS do your worst :D:D:D

Posted

Come on Richard, come to the darkside, use the force........

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
I think we're in for a serious winter with some widespread cold, including snow, the like of which hasn't been seen since the mid 1980's in this country. It may even get as close as a 78/9.

*ALARM* SATSIGS Bunker 635 [Devon Outpost] Destroyed

4 - SEVERE RAMP: Either - a plainly daft call for severe weather based on GFS runs that are literally projected in a timescale in which you couldn't even reach Venus (it requires BOTH conditions - i.e. long way out and simply silly scale of assessment of impact) OR a gross exageration of impact of a near-time event. E.g. "I'm expecting to see Polar bears on my lawn next week".

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Extraordinary day, words cannot express the shock, the whole universe may be re-balancing.

Government ramp assessors may quarantine Devon, or even the whole West country. I need counseling :D:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms

Press Release: Fallout From The Destruction Of Bunker 635 Continues

The entire county of Devon has been literally rocked by the destruction of Bunker 635, at around 15:15hrs today. "We were literally rocked", said a spokesperson. Debris was flung onto the nearby M5, trapping hundreds of motorists in their cars either side of Junction 27 at Cullompton. With the impending winter of discontent looming over the UK, the fire brigade have put out requests for warm clothes and copious amounts of wallpaper for those who can't be released by nightfall.

Elsewhere, flying lumps of concrete have damaged cow sheds, brought down powerlines and disrupted several cream teas. Locals bemoaned the unfortunate swing in the NAO; "This used to be such a nice area, we're not geared up for this sort of wanton disregard for life and property. This isn't Hastings or Lootons you know, how will we interpret the GFS now?".

The explosion was heard as far away as Langport in nearby Somerset. "We heard it here", said a local resident. Meanwhile, the police were dumbfounded. "What can we do?", said the local bobby, dumbfoundedly.

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted
But I haven't been invited!

Richard I imagine that you would be carried aloft garlanded by holly: Holy Church always gives the warmest welcome to a sinner who repenteth.

If I am not mistaken SACRA number 100 was to be reserved for you?

kind regards

Andrew

Posted

WiB, since you have recently become one long unabated cold ramp I really think you're excluded.

Posted

NEWS ALERT

POLER BEAR SEEN FLOATING ON A ICE CREAM FLOW IN SOUTH DEVON

A spokesman said, it was due to the recent fall out from bunker 635, which whipped up a storm and and is due to flake out in 99 days :D:D

Edited by BARRY

Posted

Come on Richard, how about an inducement, a brown (or white envelope) if you like? I have a nice little portable number that I may be willing to lend you for the season....

suit.jpg

You know it makes sense!