Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SATSIGS

Posted
Is that the three-hour downgrade you're carrying there?

Well it can be tucked away in the boot of the car in case of the embarrassment brought about by misplaced FI over-excitement

Posted

"By the way, don't forget both 1947 and 1962-3 showed their hand with tentative signs that were quashed until they really dug in."

Is this the first recorded instance of a ramp referring to BOTH the iconic winters?

regards

ACB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Apparently, November's all-time high was recorded in 1946! It was very warm up here last week. Is it all just a coincidence, or is Damian's Law going to pull-through this time? :D

Posted

RAMP WATCH

Early indications of some ramping of an event this week that might, apparently, lead to a covering of snow in Suffolk and snow on high ground as a front moves in. Better situations in February have delivered nothing, however, SATSIGS is going to check to see whether there's a place called Suffolk in the middle of Austria - you just never know.

If validated, the anticipated level of ramp is 3-4 on the SATSIGS scale.

Posted

I had just returned from a week in Amsterdam so that may of had something to do with it.

Seriously though here are the charts in question.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119621222.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119621226.gif

I had just returned from a week in Amsterdam so that may of had something to do with it.

Seriously though here are the charts in question.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119621222.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119621226.gif

This deserves a prize for the most underhand and sly ramp! Well done TEITS! [if only all ramping was of this calibre]

Regards

ACB

Posted

SATSIGS, SATSIGS, so good they named it twice; SATSIGS, SATSIGS, all the scandal and the ramps...as Frank Sinatra famously crooned.

Edited by Stratos Ferric

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

SATSIGS LEVEL 2 ALERT

Reports coming in of sleet or even a few flakes of snow this evening as a warm front moves in over cold air, no not from the Telford Tops, but from NE England - notably Durham County/Tyne and Wear areas.

SATSIGs are sending out a rapid response team to assess the situation, John Holmes maybe called upon.

SATSIGS LEVEL 2 ALERT

Reports coming in of SATSIGS rumblings from the Beeb no less....

Perhaps WIB & TEITS had control of the Auto'Q-

but chance for Snow in the SE Sunday on the lunchtime weather......................

Steve

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted

I feel that I have little choice but to turn myself over to the appropriate authorities having committed thought crime ramping.

Earlier in the day I had carried out my duties as SATSIGS monitor by disabusing a fanciful elderly female relative [FEFR: "They say we might get snow!"

ACB: Don't be absurd woman: a remote possibility of a little sleet over the tops of the North Downs/Chilterns but no more. Where are my devilled whitebait?"].

However at Vauxhall, south London at 7.14pm I fell into error by supposing that there was...sleet...

I have, of course, subjected myself to a process of chastisement and re-education. I am fearful as to the consequences:

the humiliation of a public invitation to join SACRA with WIB as proposer [sF has, I believe, membership number 666 reserved for the time when the non-standard-asphalt- roofed-air-ministry-London Weather Centre records 2 consecutive mornings of snow cover greater than 50% at 0900 hours; as for Calrissian it can only be the garotte]

to be stripped of my cherished SATSIGS' monitor's badge and banished to Telford in perpetuity...

In mitigation I had drunk rather a lot of claret at lunch and I did not have to hand my mobile anti-ramping device (if 850s are not less than -6, dewpoints greater than -1 and surface temperatures exceed 1.5 [save in convective conditions] then whatever the apparent precipitation it CANNOT be snow).

Nonetheless I must do the manley thing. Like Martin Luther: "Here I stand. I can do no other"

fearfully

ACB

Posted

SATSIGS LEVEL 2 ALERT

Reports coming in of SATSIGS rumblings from the Beeb no less....

Perhaps WIB & TEITS had control of the Auto'Q-

but chance for Snow in the SE Sunday on the lunchtime weather......................

Steve

SATSIGS thought long and hard about verifying this one, and is glad that "we" didn't.

RAMP ALERT

SATSIGS 2

Widespread ramping this evening for the winter to come the come. Leaks from mates at the UKMO, chatter from various locations shorn of snow in recent years: this might be the big one. Or it might not.

The attached chart for newcomers to SATSIGS shows the main characteristics of Rampmasses. Note how the Rampfront we have at present is struggling to get past PP's location in the NE, and has te to reach the MSZWF.

post-364-1195419526_thumb.png

ACB: it's okay, a bit of snow goes to the head of even the best SATSIGS monitor. When all around are losing theirs...and all that.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Looks like tonights snow has'nt made it past the barrier sorrounding the zone of northern thinking yet, though dew points are decreasing!!!

Posted
Statos, what is "MSZWF"?

Oh come on Paul, do keep up: I'll get harangued by somebody for being unfair here to southern towns, such as the Cinque Ports (nearly all of which actually lie outisde the zone) - it's the Mysterious Southern Zone of Wishful Thinking. Sort of south of London, -ish...

Not to be confused with the MZoSNT, which - quite coincidentally, is bounded by the Eden Valley, Stratosshire, and TM's house. John H is in the zone, as is the PIT's place, though not all of Sheffield.

Looks like tonights snow has'nt made it past the barrier sorrounding the zone of northern thinking yet, though dew points are decreasing!!!

WiB tells me that's because in the north we only qualify for real snow, not the artificial stuff.

Posted

Are me and PP in the MZoSNT then, or are we too far north? I measure snow correctly, me, you know. Sometimes I'll even knock 5cm off in the interests of guaranteeing non over exaggeration of depth. OK, thats a lie.

Edited by paul tall

Oh is this thread still going?

I had rather assumed after today's snowfall in many parts in mid-November :) that the SATSIGS steering committee (as seen below) had decided to do the sensible thing and have SATSIGS hibernating for the winter?

post-2020-1195426749_thumb.jpg

:lol:

Edited by West is Best

Posted
Oh come on Paul, do keep up: I'll get harangued by somebody for being unfair here to southern towns, such as the Cinque Ports (nearly all of which actually lie outisde the zone) - it's the Mysterious Southern Zone of Wishful Thinking. Sort of south of London, -ish...

WiB tells me that's because in the north we only qualify for real snow, not the artificial stuff.

Does the MSZoWT extend to SW England too SF?

Posted
Does the MSZoWT extend to SW England too SF?

That sounds like a bid for redrawing of boundaries. There's a new zone developing around Newark, which is a zone of well managed expectations; and of course there's always Abingdon. Surely, Nick, you aren't suggesting that the SW is a hotbed of ramping? The east coast of Ireland always gives a bright echo though.

SATSIGS ALERT - Gross exaggeration

Exaggeration alert - 2 Telfords

A report has come in from ToNA in the Midlands that there is 'loads' of snow, alongside a picture in which there is around 4 microns' cover and lots of wet on the ground. It is with huge delight therefore that SATSIGS deploys for the first time its new scale for 2007/8, the Telfords of exaggeration.

Oh is this thread still going?

I had rather assumed after today's snowfall in many parts in mid-November :) that the SATSIGS steering committee (as seen below) had decided to do the sensible thing and have SATSIGS hibernating for the winter?

post-2020-1195427733_thumb.jpg

:lol:

That sounds like a bid for redrawing of boundaries.

It's reminiscent of the God of the Gaps. As the gaps in kowledge get smaller, so does God. Still if the hibernation option is a no-goer there's always Tunisia. Providing you steer clear of the mountains you should get a reasonably mild winter. Expatriate members on NW are particularly susceptible to the charms of SATSIGS I believe.

Edited by West is Best

Posted
Exaggeration alert - 2 Telfords

Surely, Cyclonic Happiness's 'snowman' deserves a special mention........ :lol:

Posted
It's reminiscent of the God of the Gaps. As the gaps in kowledge get smaller, so does God. Still if the hibernation option is a no-goer there's always Tunisia. Providing you steer clear of the mountains you should get a reasonably mild winter. Expatriate members on NW are particularly susceptible to the charms of SATSIGS I believe.

I forgot you lived in the SW. I have to say it hadn't crossed my mind that Nick was thinking of you; nor, now prompted, can I imagine why he might be either.

BTW, that's not a picture of SATSIGS, any fool can tell you we're not that attractive.

Edited by Stratos Ferric

Posted
Surely, Cyclonic Happiness's 'snowman' deserves a special mention........ :rolleyes:
I'll have you know that my snowman was the biggest one i have ever made, it took me almost 4 hours of running about the garden catching snowflakes in a bucket!!!! Mind you, I did make one almost as big in the late 80's when i defrosted the freezer last! :blush: