Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The most snowless winter?

Potent Gust

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

More recently 1988/89 had a very mild Winter with virtually no snow. I think that there was some snow in Nov 1988 and again in April 1989 but very little in the actual Winter. I lived in Aberdeen that year and my diary of the time only mentions snow once in February.

Posted

In terms of the Scottish Mountains, winters 1932-33, 42-43 and 63/64 must be well up there. V A Firsoff in his book 'On foot and Ski in the Cairngorms' regularly mentions the snowless winters of 32/33 and 42/43 and refers to the 'attempts at organising winter sports in Scotland along Swizz lines was nipped in the bud by the snowless winter of 1932/33'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Since 1963 the least snowy winter here has been 1988/89 with 13 days sleet or snow falling and 5 with snow lying at 0900. 1997/98 had 17 days with sleet or snow falling but only 2 with snow lying at 0900 so was even worse in that respect.

1974/75 was also a snowless winter with only 6 mornings with lying snow.

T.M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

my snowless winter here has to be 99/00 the only snow i had was on 3rd and 4th April 00 it did lie but only for 2 days and not much, suppose the winter was snowless as april is spring

www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/2000/Rrea00120000404.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

According to my snow analysis, the most snowless winters are:

1960/61

1966/67

1975/76

1991/92

...although reliabililty declines sharply once you get prior to 1950 so I may well have overestimated how snowy some of the '30s winters were.

1987/88, 1988/89 and 2006/07 also came out with very low scores. I think 1999/00 came out only moderately snowless mainly because of a snowy December in Scotland- which is an issue when covering Britain as a whole, as I'm well aware that much of southern Britain was largely snowless for that season.

For the winter of 1999/2000, no snow fell at all at my location, but the bigest irony is that we were stuck on the outskirts of Bath due to snow on the 18th December on the way to a rugby game (the following day) which was then called off due to the Snow. :cray: