Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
Thank heavens for you and I both that there's still eleven months to run - and remember that last year only one person the entire year without being more than 2.0C out on at least one occasion - and not the eventual winner either.

The golf adage about losing the tournament in the first round perhaps doesn't apply to the CET comp, I hope!

Hear hear: Jacko does a cracking job, as do the often unheralded compilers of the starting line list too. What always impresses me is that now it just seems to happen without any prompting being necessary, an excellent example of a community at work.

Plenty of time for improvement SF. Not that I did too well overall last year either! I echo your sentiments regarding community spirit too. Thanks guys.

Moose

Edited by ukmoose

Posted

A couple of review for December 2007 :doh:

The Metoffice;

"Mean temperatures ranging from slightly below average across parts of eastern Scotland to around 1 °C above average across Northern Ireland. Coldest December for the Scotland E climate area since 2001. Rainfall across the UK generally close to average, but with some stations in NW England recording over 150% of average rainfall. Sunshine generally close to or above average across the UK. Over double the average sunshine across parts of northern Scotland, with the Scotland N climate area having its sunniest December (areal series back to 1929).

Longtown (Herefordshire) recorded a temperature of 16.5 °C on 6th. Aboyne (Aberdeenshire) recorded a temperature of -13.0 °C on 22nd."

UK as a whole;

The provisional mean value for the month is 4.3 °C, which is 0.5 °C above the 1961-1990 average.

England;

The provisional mean value for the month is 4.8 °C, which is 0.5 °C above the 1961-1990 average

Wales;

The provisional mean value for the month is 4.9 °C, which is 0.4 °C above the 1961-1990 average.

Scotland;

The provisional mean value for the month is 3.2 °C, which is 0.4 °C above the 1961-1990 average

N.Ireland;

The provisional mean value for the month is 5.6 °C, which is 1.1 °C above the 1961-1990 average. Warmest year on record

Climate-uk (Philip Edens site)

Both mean maximum and mean minimum temperature was within 0.5degC of the long-term normal in nearly all parts of the UK.

TAHarley not available yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I notice I had 10 points deducted, I'm sure I got the guess in before midnight on the 31st or is there a rule I'm not aware of?

It's not of life changing importance to me, just curious.

T.M

Posted
I notice I had 10 points deducted, I'm sure I got the guess in before midnight on the 31st or is there a rule I'm not aware of?

It's not of life changing importance to me, just curious.

T.M

There's a new penalty of 10 pts for anyone living high enough up to get snow.

Guest Mike W

I don't know if this is the best place for it, but going by Mr Eden's Manley Series, here is the current running 30 Year mean for 1978-2007: Jan: 4.3, Feb: 4.4, Mar: 6.4, Apr: 8.4, may: 11.6, Jun: 14.4, Jul: 16.6, Aug: 16.4, Sep: 14.1, Oct: 10.7, Nov: 7.2, Dec: 4.9, Annual: 9.95. Alot higher than the 1971-2000 mean of 9.76. It seems July - November has seen the biggest jumps.

Edited by Mike W

Posted
I don't know if this is the best place for it, but going by Mr Eden's Manley Series, here is the current running 30 Year mean for 1978-2007: Jan: 4.3, Feb: 4.4, Mar: 6.4, Apr: 8.4, may: 11.6, Jun: 14.4, Jul: 16.6, Aug: 16.4, Sep: 14.1, Oct: 10.7, Nov: 7.2, Dec: 4.9, Annual: 9.95. Alot higher than the 1971-2000 mean of 9.76. It seems July - November has seen the biggest jumps.

Might be better in annual CET thread. Good data Mike. Those who follow my random burblings will know that I much prefer the rolliung thirty year to the static thirty year, and your stats show why.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
There's a new penalty of 10 pts for anyone living high enough up to get snow.

In that case I demand an amount of snow sufficient to justify the 10 point deduction, there's been no lying snow here since November.

Posted
In that case I demand an amount of snow sufficient to justify the 10 point deduction, there's been no lying snow here since November.

It makes a bit of a change in recent times for me to get some and you not.