Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What’s the worst storm you have experienced Outside the UK?

Posted

Worst storm for me was a snow storm here in Canada last November...horrendous driving conditions, I was almost stranded but luckily it eased enough for me to get home. Whiteout conditions of prob about 4 inches per hour falling, strong winds...just horrible

Posted

Hurricane Bertha in July 1996....not so bad a hurricane, but the will it/won't it preparations were terrifying (I was on a very small island with no means of escape). Also got caught up in the aftermath of Hurricane Lenny in November 1999 which wasn't pleasant.

Edit: Is a hurricane a storm????

Edited by Roo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

That's a tough one! Either the supercell thunderstorm on my holiday in Menorca when the wind was gusting at more than 110MPH with driving rain and sheet lightning almost constantly - however, there was very little thunder surprisingly.

Or a huge thunderstorm I endured in Brasil in December 2003. Watching it come in, a roll cloud formed ahead of the main storm. There was a squall of very gusty winds and large raindrops followed by two days of solid torrential rain and thunder! As you know, Brasil is prone to landslides when heavy rain occurs!

Posted

This is a Tough one for me as well. Having seen well over 30 Supercells each are different for the severity of what they throw at you and for long durations as well. Have Chased a Supercell for well over 9 hours (Not your average Thunderstorm)

But the Kent County Supercell last year which had 17 areas of Rotation within the Storm and a 25 mile wide 3" Hail Core was pretty bad, also had to ride that beauty out in Brownwood until 3am when it formed a Bow Echo (F1 Tornado strength winds) to really finish us off.

Obviously to be within 30 miles of Greensburg (EF5) was a pretty Humbling experience as well, took the guys to the eastern edge of that Supercell to stand outside in the Free Disco the Lightning was putting on for us!

For Europe mine is also in Majorca (Alcudia to be precise) and about 16 years ago. An early September Storm that was very severe, lots of times the Power went out at the Hotel with Ear splitting Thunder.

Paul Sherman

Posted

mine has to be a sever thunderstorm in the south of france nearly 10 years ago, I cant rember much but at that age it was very terrifying and we where staying in a very creepy guest house. the power kept going out. I cant rember much more then that Im afried!