Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

guessing what the next chart is

johnholmes

Posted

hi

I thought this might be fun!

No need to be worried in case you seem to make a fool of yourself. Believe me I can do that quite easily with forecasts. Been there got the marks to prove it.

test 1

try and give the approximate positions of the main highs and lows 24 hours from the chart below.

post-847-1195601912_thumb.jpg

Posted

The two lows merge into one large storm south of Greenland. The Azores High ridges north-west into the mid Atlantic, and the Scandinavian High pushes westwards and intensifes, switching winds to the east over much of the Continent.

Edited by Gavin P

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

How about this John. Rising Heights over N.Europe. Cut off low into southern Europe. Perhaps an easterly by T+102?

post-1600-1195602609_thumb.png

Mammatus

Edited by Mammatus

Posted

Should be good for a laugh :D

post-5038-1195602610_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
hi

I thought this might be fun!

No need to be worried in case you seem to make a fool of yourself. Believe me I can do that quite easily with forecasts. Been there got the marks to prove it.

test 1

try and give the approximate positions of the main highs and lows 24 hours from the chart below.

post-847-1195601912_thumb.jpg

John

LP over Italy region looks like a 'propper', most likely Azores HP ridges NE to join the Scandi HP and easterly forms probably for France and southern UK and SW'ly to the NW. That LP south of Greenland getting chased by HP ridging out of Newfoundland so pobably will get absorbed by the LP above it

BFTP

Posted

I should say the low off Newfoundland would have slipped around the main low over Iceland, to the south, then hit the ridge of high pressure over the azores that looks like it's intensifying, and be deflected over northern scotland as a bit of a storm. Meanwhile the low over greenland moves east and, after the intial low has passed over scotland, it drags in some cold northerlies over the UK, followed by a westerly as the high over the continent gets squidged south and east ending up sitting over greece. meanwhile the azores high nudges in after the smaller low has passed dragging in a southerly/southwesterly feed?

Edited by cyclonic happiness

Posted

I'll come back to this tomorrow when a few more have had a chance to look at it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

High to south and high over Europe merge to give strong elongated Scandinavian High with a ridge out into the northern North Sea, strong Icelandic Low, SW winds for NW Scotland, light southerlies or south-easterlies in the south bringing in cold continental air.

Posted

some quite impressive answers there; this is a very rough sketch of where the main High’s and Low’s where 24 hours later.

How about pushing it another 24 hours to see how you all do?

post-847-1195658207_thumb.jpg

Posted
some quite impressive answers there; this is a very rough sketch of where the main High’s and Low’s where 24 hours later.

How about pushing it another 24 hours to see how you all do?

post-847-1195658207_thumb.jpg

John

Can you post a more readible update chart likethe first one...I think that will help.

BFTP

Posted

bit worried if I post the real chart it might be too obvious, try and persevere with this amended one if you can and I'll try and make a better and more readable copy for the next stage, that is unless someone works out when its for!

post-847-1195687268_thumb.jpg

ps

if anyone has a chart to the scale of the wetter cvharts could you pse post it for me, gratis

Posted

It could go one of two ways I guess John. I've Progressed things slightly E with the HP starting to consolidate, but second prize would be for HP to retrogess W and the LP to move SE.

post-364-1195693905_thumb.png

Posted
John

LP over Italy region looks like a 'propper', most likely Azores HP ridges NE to join the Scandi HP and easterly forms probably for France and southern UK and SW'ly to the NW. That LP south of Greenland getting chased by HP ridging out of Newfoundland so pobably will get absorbed by the LP above it

BFTP

John

Looks like the evolution you show is moving in line with my thoughts. To go on the PV over Greenland doesn't look good but my mind looks at the HP coming out of the USA. The HP over Scandi has linked with the AZH and so there is a slight west movement of it [retrograde motion in place]. With this in mind I think further retrograde of the HP is likely and a possible movement of the PV. This will result in HP to our NW with a northerly flow for the UK and PV being shunted over Scandinavia.

BFTP