Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your Predictions : Lowest UK temperature during this Winter

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

-11C

Posted

I suspect there may be one colder spell than what already happened in November, and that may be about it ... and it may not be much colder either, let's say -10 C for England and Wales, and -14 C for Scotland. This would most likely occur in the second half of January.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
I suspect there may be one colder spell than what already happened in November, and that may be about it ... and it may not be much colder either, let's say -10 C for England and Wales, and -14 C for Scotland. This would most likely occur in the second half of January.

That does not suggest a CET of say 2c Roger. Have you pulled away from your initial thoughts?

BFTP

Posted
Nick, I'm not sure I'd say 'common'. The number of nights in a typical winter when -10C might be breached, if not widely, at least away from obvious prone locations, was always fairly few even in cold winters.

-10C usually requires embedded and established cold, and probably a large snowfield. It doesn't tend to be a level reached in the lowlands of S England by a passing cold sector.

It would be interesting to see an actual frequency count, because I might be understating the case, but I have to say I very much doubt it.

Anything below -15C has always been quite exceptional.

SF/Nick, I suspect that it would be more accurate to say that 'in past winters it was not uncommon for at least one station in southern England, on at least one occasion, to record a minimum of -10c or below'.

regards

ACB

P.S. 1. "not uncommon": say 3-5 winters per decade?

2. All of this not checked...

Scotland (Altnaharra, Aboyne, Braemar, Aviemore, Strathallen, Tummel Bridge [not a recording station now?]: -16

England and Wales: (Sennybridge, Leeming, Cottesmore, Benson, Shawbury): -11

First 'A' road in UK to be impassable due to snow: A93 from Cockbridge to Tomintoul; end of December

regards

ACB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather
Suffolk Boy

December 29 2005, -13.2C Ravensworth (N Yorks), where is this figure from? Don't think it's official. -12.8C at Aviemore that morning, and the RAF stations in N Yorks recorded -8C and -9C.

Hi,

In reply to your enquiry:

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/coldest_days.htm

Not a bad website for a variety of British data.

Here's the homepage.....

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/britweather.htm

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

-12C somewhere in Scotland followed by a heatwave.

Posted

Well have to say quite pleased with the level of response so far, as I said in the original message you all have until 10th december to get those bets in.

Its nice people are also quoting places but the real prediction is for temperature. I'll give a rundown come the 11th of everyones prediction.

Posted

I`ll go for -20 up here in Scotland. I have seen -30 here where i live and i never want it to be at that again, nothing worked.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I will go for -18.1 at Braemar or Dalwhinnie.

For those who do not know the record is -27.2C, recorded twice at Braemar and most recently on Dec 30th 1995 at Altnaharra.

Posted
I'd hazard a guess you don't mean Ayr :blink:

I live in Dalrymple, just ouside Ayr. It was -30 here years ago, i was about 5. Our pipes froze as well as the mains water, no electicity, no heating. it was a nightmare, the car wouldnt start and it was a night mare. The river was frozen over as well, something thats never happened since.

I live in Dalrymple, just ouside Ayr. It was -30 here years ago, i was about 5. Our pipes froze as well as the mains water, no electicity, no heating. it was a nightmare, the car wouldnt start and it was a night mare. The river was frozen over as well, something thats never happened since.

it wasnt -30C, the coldest it has ever been is -27C, and that wasnt in Ayr.

Posted
it wasnt -30C, the coldest it has ever been is -27C, and that wasnt in Ayr.

thats the coldest thats officially been recorded, there are many places that have probably seen colder, especially in the Highland valleys.

Posted

Can i just ask why are we doing this? ? ? :huh:

Ahwell, lol, i think that we wont see any real cold cold so a minima low of around -12 up in the highlands somewhere :S (my scottish geography isnt very good)

:)

SM06