Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Cliche's

Posted

To follow on from OON's post a while ago, I've been following the model thread and would like to start a competition.

Who can create a grammatically correct sentence containing the most of this winter's cliches?

Extra points awarded for using the following

christmas pudding

Cold Pooling

Southerly Jet

N'erly plunge

Beast from - you all know the rest

Just a bit of fun to take our minds off the abysmal models at present, but if the forum organisers want to put up a prize so much the better.

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border

One sentence?

Here goes:

Blast these christmas pudding winters with cold pooling stuck to the North without a southerly jet or a N'erly plunge in sight, let alone a Beast from the East.

:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
To follow on from OON's post a while ago, I've been following the model thread and would like to start a competition.

Who can create a grammatically correct sentence containing the most of this winter's cliches?

christmas pudding

Cold Pooling

Southerly Jet

N'erly plunge

Just a bit of fun to take our minds off the abysmal models at present, but if the forum organisers want to put up a prize so much the better.

In Ian Brown's 'christmas pudding', 'cold pooling' is too far east along with the 'Beast from The East' where the 'southerly jet' remains and the UK gets suckered by a 'northerly jet' and 'cyclogenesis' with 'shortwaves' or 'cut off lows' due to modifying 'warm SSTs' shortening 'northerly plunges' causing a 'toppler HP' scenario and endless 'mild' 'zoneality' ........close but no cigar :D

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted

I hate cliches - they drive me round the bend.

but if the forum organisers want to put up a prize so much the better.
Ok...the winner can have something to help beat global warming....a lovely icicle pump.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I am going on a holiday soon with my friend the mod Ern Eravitch. We are taking a southerly jet followed by a northerly. Plunge pools are great when away, Ern prefers a hot dip but I prefer open air cold pooling. Mind you watch out for bears. Last year somone from our ensemble almost got attacked by a beast from the east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

if we get cold pooling to our ne we can expect a southerly jet to pull in the beast from the east, but in the even larger teapot this is more likely to collapse from the onslaught of a northely jet set in motion by high sst of the eastern seaboard and cycloniges in the GIN meaning that winter is over but IMO there is still all to play for......How many points plaease?

Posted

Great stuff '63:

Who can forget berification (sorry Steve, I still enjoy that one, and the many deviations that it spun off - there were more misspelling eddies from that one than in whol season of buckling PFJ) and burfication? It honestly does not matter WHAT happens between now and the day I die, that will ALWAYS be in my Channel 4 top 10 cheap TV best comments ever posted on N-W.

Special mention for blizzards on the Eastern Seabord of the US.

Inversions.

Polar lows.

Unreliable / unstable models. I think it's probably just me but I have long suspected that the reliability of the models is in direction proportion only to how cold FI looks.

QBOs and a whole host of TLAs (three letter abbreviations) are this season's 'black', I think.

We should do like the Times and have an annual list of most used names on the 1st January. You know the sort of thing: dropping out of favour this year:

Piers, Andrew, Scandi High...

New entrants:

Olga, Dmitri, QBO...

Edited by Stratos Ferric

Posted

'Strong stratospheric warming' - always makes me chuckle.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
QBOs and a whole host of TLAs (three letter abbreviations) are this season's 'black', I think.

The 'inversion' was last year's 'new black' in a winter dominated by a lack of real cold pools and like you say tropical forcings seem to be this winter's new black so far.

... and don't forget that we can always rely on the MOJO going into phase 8 to boost morale if all the Nern hemispheric teleconnections look shaky for cold, even though this mode of tropical forcing doesn't always lead to the promised land.

(I'm being tongue in cheek of course...)

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

It's great to see Pressure rises over Greenland.

Except there aren't any.

The high SST's are going to modify any cold pooling to our North so if we do get a northerly plunge it won't be that cold, however to get we need the Jet to become more Southerly and AO to switch to a more negative phase, you never know it may allow pressure rises to our North and allow an unexpected Beast from the East in.

Posted

Could I extend an invitation to all the NW Council Members to act as impartial adjudicators on the entries?

At least that way I can have a go :lol:

Suggested awards.

:) - a stonker

:) - good to share

:) - off the wall

:hi: - honourable mention

:) - good effort

Posted

I can't take credit for this but Glacier Point on the model discussion thread gets full marks, this is now etched on my brain!

'What we have here I think is an expansion of the polar westerlies, aided by Rossby Wave distribution, leading to an exageration of the twin tropospheric vortices allowing a downward deflection of warmth at the stratosphere into the tropopausal depths resulting in that very particular Arctic High and ridge into Alaska.'

Thanks again GP.

ffO.

Posted

christmas pudding

Cold Pooling

Southerly Jet

N'erly plunge

Surely, "When I was a lad" needs to be in here somewhere ??

Posted
I hate cliches - they drive me round the bend.

Ok...the winner can have something to help beat global warming....a lovely icicle pump.

OON, I'd much prefer a HUUUGE blower to knock the jet south, precipitate ahigh to our NW, ridging into the GH and encouraging an intense LP to our East.

This, coupled with cold pooling over Siberia and higher than average SST's would bring an end to all christmas pudding discussions and blow a hole in the AGW hypothesis. :)

Posted

Cliched BBC weather forecast, circa mid January:

Well it's been a lovely frosty morning for many of us, just look at all the blues in this chart, and there was even some wintriness for the Scottish hills. BUT, there will be a change as we head into the weekend, just look at what the Atlantic has in store for us, and that will be pushing into Western regions of Friday evening, and will be effecting much of the country throughout Saturday with persistent falls for Eastern and central regions and a band of showers lingering in the West. Behind that, Sunday will be a very blustery day with frequent heavy showers for most areas. Looking ahead to early next week, more rain coming in from the West with some heavy falls predicted on Tuesday. And this theme looks set to continue for the rest of the week. So, Huw, wet and windy for all of us, BUT AT LEAST IT'LL BE MILD."

Great stuff '63:

Who can forget berification (sorry Steve, I still enjoy that one, and the many deviations that it spun off - there were more misspelling eddies from that one than in whol season of buckling PFJ) and burfication? It honestly does not matter WHAT happens between now and the day I die, that will ALWAYS be in my Channel 4 top 10 cheap TV best comments ever posted on N-W.

New entrants:

Olga, Dmitri, QBO...

Lol- Bifercation.........

The new cathphrase is...

If its cold in Svalbard with high pressure its got to be cold in the UK soon after-

Nonsense is the new era of sound thinking...

OR...

the 29th of each month...

SB's revised CET for that month....

OR..

the 20th of each Month

WIB's revised CET for OXFORD at X value ( OXFORD being an anogram of OSLO)

S

Posted
Cliched BBC weather forecast, circa mid January:

Well it's been a lovely frosty morning for many of us, just look at all the blues in this chart, and there was even some wintriness for the Scottish hills. BUT, there will be a change as we head into the weekend, just look at what the Atlantic has in store for us, and that will be pushing into Western regions of Friday evening, and will be effecting much of the country throughout Saturday with persistent falls for Eastern and central regions and a band of showers lingering in the West. Behind that, Sunday will be a very blustery day with frequent heavy showers for most areas. Looking ahead to early next week, more rain coming in from the West with some heavy falls predicted on Tuesday. And this theme looks set to continue for the rest of the week. So, Huw, wet and windy for all of us, BUT AT LEAST IT'LL BE MILD."

Whoever said that should be publically hanged.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

They have been and that's why they never appear on TV any more. :)

1st day of Winter. Winter's over.

Last day of Winter. Patience is required I'm sure with the right synoptic s cold will come.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

"Embracing FI beyond the reliable timeframe IMHO is of worthy note as Psycho-genesis is far from wrote in stone".

Can I now officially walk the walk in the Model output sanitarium too?

:huh:

Posted

Mine has got to be...... It's all going pear shaped! :huh:

or A few more runs needed to be certain

or There is still a whole winter ahead of us

Edited by grab my graupels

Posted

I thought that they all say it, sooner or later. Seems fairly common anyway!