Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Out of Interest...

SP1986

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Just wanted to see what variations where occurring over a spatial area (UK) in regards to flowering.

Have those area that have had frosts frequently still got flowers growing, or have they all died off?

Has anyone still got flowers growing? or did the Autumn cooler weather kill them off?

Here we still have many Geraniums, Fuschia, even Begonias and Pansies, and those bulky flowers I cant remember the name of.. are doing pretty well and there are plenty more besides - Even into December!

They havent died off since April, theyve been going strong, thats a rather long flowering time of these flowers.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Pansies are a very hardy plant and are often planted in autumn to flower through the winter in this country as they bring winter colour and are tolerant of all but the hardest frosts.

Other hardy flowering plants such as geraniums can continue flowering into late autumn/early december even with a frost.

Posted

I actually think that things are more in line with the season this year. The weeds in my garden seem to have stopped growing, all the leaves have gone from the trees & nature seems to be acknowledging that winter is almost upon us for once!

Dave

Posted

One crocus flowering under the hosechestnut tree in the garden today spotted by my son, must have thought we had our winter last summer. Bulbs starting to break the surface under the beech hedge ,not unusual for December as will go into suspended animation if really cold weather comes along and will flower at their normal time. Everything here has died off more completely this autumn here also probably due to the very dry September and October we experienced.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

I've seen daffodils out in flower around here about 2 weeks ago, mind you I haven't seen another since but a little odd all the same. I've got a hyacinth coming up which is very early. Also got a few rose flowers (and not many leaves). Apart from that, everything is normal.