Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wolf reintroduction?

disco-barry

Posted

I saw this news article this morning about a man from Devon/Cornwall who runs some sort of Wolf sanctuary and he and alot of nature folk in government are wanting to reintroduce Wolfs not only to the UK but to alot of Europe as well as they say it will help nature in the long run. They are wanting to release them in the far sw, n yorks moors and the highlands etc.

What do we all think? Esp farmers lol.

Posted

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Science/2007/..._and_lynx/3804/

I saw it on the BBC this morning but i cannot find a more relevent link, Also it has been approved for wolves to be reintroduced into a Scottish wild life type park....

http://news.deviantart.com/article/35714/

Posted

I think they should do it in areas such as the Highlands and the souther uplands and other such areas in the U.K.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Without the Wolf, Wild Cattle(Aroch is extinct so White Park cattle will have to do), and the Wild Boar British woodland is incomplete IMO.

Romania's woodland, is how it should be here ;)

Regards,

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

The Raptors are supposed to have full protection but the gamekeepers/farmers seem to feel they are above the law (even on the royal estates). I'd love to have brother wolf back in his lands but it only takes one man and a gun/man trap and we're back to square 1.

Posted

i cant see a problem with it.

if it's carried out correctly and in a controlled manner,trials could be undertaken on small scale sites (enough area for them to roam).

it wont hurt to try it and monitor the outcome,if it dose'nt work remove them simple as that.

nothing ventured nothing gained ;)

Posted
i cant see a problem with it.

if it's carried out correctly and in a controlled manner,trials could be undertaken on small scale sites (enough area for them to roam).

it wont hurt to try it and monitor the outcome,if it dose'nt work remove them simple as that.

nothing ventured nothing gained :)

So its alrite if I bring mr.wolfy and friends up your place for a lamb snack?

;)

Posted
So its alrite if I bring mr.wolfy and friends up your place for a lamb snack?

:)

And therein lies the problem! If upland farmers have 'issues' with crows,Jackdaws and magpies (and foxes of course) then how are they going to take to Mr big bad on their doorsteps? Bang, and the Wolf is gone...........

Posted
And therein lies the problem! If upland farmers have 'issues' with crows,Jackdaws and magpies (and foxes of course) then how are they going to take to Mr big bad on their doorsteps? Bang, and the Wolf is gone...........

Aye...I'd shoot you myself if you wandered up here.

Posted
Aye...I'd shoot you myself if you wandered up here.

I have a Kevlar coat.....

Posted
I think wolf reintroduction would not be a good idea, they would cause a lot of conflict with people.

They won't last 5 minutes in the wild. Every farmer & hunter in the land will be out with a rifle & looking to bag himself a wolf.

Naivety in the extreme !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

I can understand the mentality of re introducing wolfy back into the UK, on the face of it it could go a long way to controling the out of control deer population. But realisically, we don't have the wild woods of Romania here in Britain and given the choice between an agile deer and slow, plumb salt marsh lamb, which do you think Mr Wolf will go for?

Farmers would not tolerate the losses. The only way I could see this happening would be to dedicate a vast swathe of land to a uniquely wild state. (pre man) Introduce old the old native species (bears, beaver wolf etc) ban farming and let them get on with it, but I can't see it happening in my lifetime or think where it would go. How about Birmingham?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Living on Dartmoor, I think it would be a great idea. 360sq miles with a pop . of about 30,000, so plenty of space, forests, and food. Foxes kill lambs, buzzards kill lambs and pick their eyes out. They aren't shot indiscrimanetly. Why should wolves be any different? Besides, most of the domesticated livestock on the high moor is cattle, not sheep.

Besides that the average farmer doesn't have the time to go searching for wolves (or foxes for that matter) ... leaving the hunts (which are supposedly banned) something tells me a dog would lose that battle.

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted
I can understand the mentality of re introducing wolfy back into the UK, on the face of it it could go a long way to controling the out of control deer population. But realisically, we don't have the wild woods of Romania here in Britain and given the choice between an agile deer and slow, plumb salt marsh lamb, which do you think Mr Wolf will go for?

Farmers would not tolerate the losses. The only way I could see this happening would be to dedicate a vast swathe of land to a uniquely wild state. (pre man) Introduce old the old native species (bears, beaver wolf etc) ban farming and let them get on with it, but I can't see it happening in my lifetime or think where it would go. How about Birmingham?

:):clap::clap:

i like it :D

Living on Dartmoor, I think it would be a great idea. 360sq miles with a pop . of about 30,000, so plenty of space, forests, and food. Foxes kill lambs, buzzards kill lambs and pick their eyes out. They aren't shot indiscrimanetly. Why should wolves be any different? Besides, most of the domesticated livestock on the high moor is cattle, not sheep.

Besides that the average farmer doesn't have the time to go searching for wolves (or foxes for that matter) ... leaving the hunts (which are supposedly banned) something tells me a dog would lose that battle.

that'll get over the (alledged) fox hunting ban.dont think we've got a wolf hunting ban in place (YET) :)

Posted

I don't think that there's a problem with reintroducing wolves to Britain and allowing them to do what they do naturally, on the condition that people can do what they do naturally and hunt the wolves to extinction again. Seems a balanced proposal and therefore fair.

Posted

In the Highlands things are a bit different, birds that stray close to shooting moors get shot, regardless of rarity or interest, which really annoys me. Stouts, weasels etc are trapped and there are sheep everywhere. Vast and unpopulated the Highlands are I don't think they are big enough to allow wolves and men to co exist. I've never been to Dartmoor so I'll take you word for it that it is a suitable area.

Posted

We have the same on our grouse moor. I think both landowner and gamekeeper should be open for penalties if protected species are killed on their land.

Game keepers should be put on a restricted list not allowing employ for a specified period and land owners should forfeit a percentage of shoot profits.

All too often landowners give their men carte Blanche to run the estate and then try and plead ignorance of their head keepers 'ways'. They employ them they should ensure they know what is and isn't allowed!!

I still think the farmers will do for the Wolf if he is allowed back. They have the rights to shoot dogs worrying sheep so how would Lupus Lupine be distinguished from a German Shepherd half a field away? (or so Mr farmer would plead).

Posted
... leaving the hunts (which are supposedly banned) something tells me a dog would lose that battle.

Ha Ha, I feel another "Exemption" on the cards for the Hunts. Not that it makes much difference the Law is unable to prosecute on hunting cases anyway

http://www.countryside-alliance.org.uk/hun...ion-thrown-out/

In a nutshell, the Law's so complicated that the Judge gave up & threw it out :)

As for the above quote. I think you'll find a good pack of hounds are a match for anything, after all, the Rhodesian Ridgeback was bred to hunt lions !! Wolves & bears were hunted used Talbots up until the 1600s in this country.

I suppose they were here up untill very recently and without human persecution would've still been a naturalised species.I do feel however it would require constant monitoring more for wolfies sake than the local sheep.Anything that restores the natural balances of the UK countryside can't be a bad thing.It could be argued that creatures so high in the foodchain are a vital component of any balanced environment. But why stop there,following on from that the thought occurs would bears be sustainable?

Posted
I suppose they were here up untill very recently and without human persecution would've still been a naturalised species.I do feel however it would require constant monitoring more for wolfies sake than the local sheep.Anything that restores the natural balances of the UK countryside can't be a bad thing.It could be argued that creatures so high in the foodchain are a vital component of any balanced environment. But why stop there,following on from that the thought occurs would bears be sustainable?

ive got friends in the US,and bear hunting is an everyday occurance.

they dont decimate the population, merely allow them to exist in conjuction with all the other wildlife in west virginia.

troublesome and ill or aged bears are the first on the list.

seems to work fine over there,i know we dont have the same land mass here though.

ive got friends in the US,and bear hunting is an everyday occurance.

they dont decimate the population, merely allow them to exist in conjuction with all the other wildlife in west virginia.

troublesome and ill or aged bears are the first on the list.

seems to work fine over there,i know we dont have the same land mass here though.

no wolves though,the bears ate them all :D:D:D

Ha Ha, I feel another "Exemption" on the cards for the Hunts. Not that it makes much difference the Law is unable to prosecute on hunting cases anyway

http://www.countryside-alliance.org.uk/hun...ion-thrown-out/

In a nutshell, the Law's so complicated that the Judge gave up & threw it out :clap:

As for the above quote. I think you'll find a good pack of hounds are a match for anything, after all, the Rhodesian Ridgeback was bred to hunt lions !! Wolves & bears were hunted used Talbots up until the 1600s in this country.

they did hunt lions,but more as an intimidating force until man caught up and shot them.i may be wrong but i'm not sure there is evidence of ridges actually taking out lions

Edited by peterf