Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wolf reintroduction?

disco-barry

Sorry GW but you've got most of that back to front and upside down, I spent several years working as a Keeper and many more working along side them and i'm yet to meet one who actually wanted to kill anything protected.

As with most things in life money is the real evil at work here not the keeper, rearing birds to adulthood ready for shooting is a very expensive business, costs vary but we worked on an average cost of £10 per bird, generally a keeper is told that all predators without exception have to be eradicated, 'They cost me £10 a shot so you'd damn well better make sure nothing else is taking them' or words to that effect are often used. Something else that people often don't realise is that keepers are usually paid a pittance, often living in tied accomodation, and paid little more than a living allowance, so, even if you disagree with your employer its very difficult to rebel, especially those with a family, not only do you stand to loose your job but your home as well.

I must add that not all landowners are evil, infact the vast majority aren't, a few bad uns get the rest a bad name i'm afraid.

We have the same on our grouse moor. I think both landowner and gamekeeper should be open for penalties if protected species are killed on their land.

Game keepers should be put on a restricted list not allowing employ for a specified period and land owners should forfeit a percentage of shoot profits.

All too often landowners give their men carte Blanche to run the estate and then try and plead ignorance of their head keepers 'ways'. They employ them they should ensure they know what is and isn't allowed!!

Posted
Sorry GW but you've got most of that back to front and upside down, I spent several years working as a Keeper and many more working along side them and i'm yet to meet one who actually wanted to kill anything protected.

As with most things in life money is the real evil at work here not the keeper, rearing birds to adulthood ready for shooting is a very expensive business, costs vary but we worked on an average cost of £10 per bird, generally a keeper is told that all predators without exception have to be eradicated, 'They cost me £10 a shot so you'd damn well better make sure nothing else is taking them' or words to that effect are often used. Something else that people often don't realise is that keepers are usually paid a pittance, often living in tied accomodation, and paid little more than a living allowance, so, even if you disagree with your employer its very difficult to rebel, especially those with a family, not only do you stand to loose your job but your home as well.

I must add that not all landowners are evil, infact the vast majority aren't, a few bad uns get the rest a bad name i'm afraid.

i couldn't have put it any straighter myself hemlock,

total honest facts there :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I get the impression from the Saville Estate it is more about the business and not the conservation. The Moor is also 'common land' and so other folk have interests there (esp. upland sheep farmers) so my finger may be pointing the wrong way but I've seen Sparrow Hawks, Barn owls amongst the crows on the barbed wire and they didn't put themselves up there (did they???). Maybe you guys are 'too close' and cannot afford to pull back and witness the reality?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
I get the impression from the Saville Estate it is more about the business and not the conservation. The Moor is also 'common land' and so other folk have interests there (esp. upland sheep farmers) so my finger may be pointing the wrong way but I've seen Sparrow Hawks, Barn owls amongst the crows on the barbed wire and they didn't put themselves up there (did they???). Maybe you guys are 'too close' and cannot afford to pull back and witness the reality?

without the buisness there would be no moor.most upland sheep farmers are tennants.

as so they have to work within certain constraints,

how about all the city people stay where they live. and all us country folk stay were we where born.

afterall we dont tell you how to run your cities.problem solved :D

and to add to that its mainly rich city buisness men, who come up here to blow our pheasants and grouse away.

talk about double standards.

Barn owls amongst the crows on the barbed wire

david bellamy would have loved that shot,

christ i'm smack bang in the middle of some great owl country, but i aint ever seen that :clap:

Edited by peterf

Posted
talk about double standards.

Barn owls amongst the crows on the barbed wire

david bellamy would have loved that shot,

christ i'm smack bang in the middle of some great owl country, but i aint ever seen that :rofl:

I harvested the flight and tail feathers for my 'bonnet' so some good came of it!

Though a great store of knowledge is held within 'country folk' there is also an inbred resistance to change ('well, sawlways been this way') which can be just the wrong tack.........

Posted
I harvested the flight and tail feathers for my 'bonnet' so some good came of it!

Though a great store of knowledge is held within 'country folk' there is also an inbred resistance to change ('well, sawlways been this way') which can be just the wrong tack.........

Wrong use of words there.

My ancestors are country-folk by and large and they didnt inbreed. Some of them came from Cornwall, Devon as well as the black country and Derbyshire (on the english side). Well travelled bunch.

Peterf will nack you if you ever show up in Consett lol!

Posted
Peterf will nack you if you ever show up in Consett lol!

I studied with a Consett Lad at the then 'Sunderland Poly'. He told me all the steel workers were busy sticking labels to Pyrex dishes.........nice work if you can get it eh?

Posted
I studied with a Consett Lad at the then 'Sunderland Poly'. He told me all the steel workers were busy sticking labels to Pyrex dishes.........nice work if you can get it eh?

Naa...I'd rather be out in the fresh air...shooting tresspasers with my rice gun.

Posted

inbreeding how very dare you :rofl: ,i'm not from tow law grey wolf :D .

my grandma might have been born there but not me.

google TOW LAW and you'll see what i mean ;)

Posted

I didn't know people still lived there.

Does it have a charver problem?

Posted

No need, we have Todmorden............

Posted

I studied with a Consett Lad at the then 'Sunderland Poly'

yes there's loads, that spent their youth in medomsley detention centre came out with the same quote. :rofl::D;)

I didn't know people still lived there.

Does it have a charver problem?

nah ;) full of goats lol

here's a pic in july :D

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/4116..._41169116_3.jpg

Posted
Lol...thought that lass I knew was a bit hairy.

good crack lads i enjoyed it,

got to go and milk the bull now,me auntie wants me in bed sharpish.

run out of peat for this week :D

stay warm folks we do ;);):D

Lol...thought that lass I knew was a bit hairy.

that was a sheep pp :rofl:

Posted
Nowt wrong with Tow Law.Now Sacriston's a different matter! :rofl:

Lol when I went to school in Fram; people used to regularly spit on and throw stones at the bus taking people to and from Sacriston.

Posted

D'you think there's any milage in reintroducing Grey-Wolf to the mild?

Nah, sorry, it's already been done.

Posted
D'you think there's any milage in reintroducing Grey-Wolf to the mild?

Nah, sorry, it's already been done.

I'd not be Bitter if you did that Pengers ......

(Did 'Mild' morph into real ale??? me Dad told me in't old days only nutters drank bitter (as it was cheaper) and the rest drank mild)

Posted

Now, here was me thinking you'd be all Heavy about this, but no, you're rather Light about it all.

(sorry, completely off topic, must pull myself together, or another)

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
I wonder if penguins could survive hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Not a snowball in Hades chance.......they taste too much like Swan............

Posted

Don`t bother releasing wolf back to the wild ,try releasing something that tastes goood and dosn`t need hours of plucking!!!!!!!

ohhh wild boar for starters !!!

Serious note !!!

To all of you who keep blaming farmers for protecting thier lively hoods then think how you would feel if all what you worked for gets distroyed every night , and it will take you a year to get that stock back again !!!!

Bet you would try to control what is ruining your income to!!!!!

leave country folk in the country and put the concrete clingons in the towns

Don`t bother releasing wolf back to the wild ,try releasing something that tastes goood and dosn`t need hours of plucking!!!!!!!

ohhh wild boar for starters !!!

Serious note !!!

To all of you who keep blaming farmers for protecting thier lively hoods then think how you would feel if all what you worked for gets distroyed every night , and it will take you a year to get that stock back again !!!!

Bet you would try to control what is ruining your income to!!!!!

leave country folk in the country and put the concrete clingons in the towns

Aye but STOXS it can be a moneyspinner too.Lord Bath keeps wolves and Lions and he's managing.I expect he's got the odd sheep also.From a 'Grandson of a farmer and rural type.'