Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wolf reintroduction?

disco-barry

Posted

From somebody that grew up in the Valleys of the Land of Sheep, I say natural wildlife is a part of farming, and farmers are largely responsible for wiping them out in the first place... in such ways, that doesn't make Farmers the honourable custodians of the countryside - it makes them the greedy destroyers of it. The selfish, greedy, "steamroll over any possible threat to my little empire that I've worked for" attitude of some farmers would often find a better home in the corporate boardrooms of the concrete jungles or the housing market.

Edited by crimsone

Posted
From somebody that grew up in the Valleys of the Land of Sheep, I say natural wildlife is a part of farming, and farmers are largely responsible for wiping them out in the first place... in such ways, that doesn't make Farmers the honourable custodians of the countryside - it makes them the greedy destroyers of it. The selfish, greedy, "steamroll over any possible threat to my little empire that I've worked for" attitude of some farmers would often find a better home in the corporate boardrooms of the concrete jungles or the housing market.

They should give the wolves guns.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

We don't have enough wild land to support genuinely wild wolves - it's not the eating of livestock that's a problem (there are ways round that - in the Northern US states of Montana and Idaho the state Authorities and livestock farmers have a perfectly effective and well-supported compensation system) it's the fact that wolf packs need huge areas of space for their home territories - that limits them to Northern Scotland and that's already highly protected for it's range of wildlife - not least ground-nesting birds, which form a very large part of the diet of wolves in the US and Canada.

If we're going down this re-introduction gig, then the sensible places to start would be wild boar (already well established in parts of southern England) and European beaver.

Posted
We don't have enough wild land to support genuinely wild wolves - it's not the eating of livestock that's a problem (there are ways round that - in the Northern US states of Montana and Idaho the state Authorities and livestock farmers have a perfectly effective and well-supported compensation system) it's the fact that wolf packs need huge areas of space for their home territories - that limits them to Northern Scotland and that's already highly protected for it's range of wildlife - not least ground-nesting birds, which form a very large part of the diet of wolves in the US and Canada.

If we're going down this re-introduction gig, then the sensible places to start would be wild boar (already well established in parts of southern England) and European beaver.

They should reintroduce wolves all over the place and see how long they survive.

Just for the craic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights
They should reintroduce wolves all over the place and see how long they survive.

Just for the craic.

When I made that suggestion, but with King Cobra's, they called me mad!

Posted
When I made that suggestion, but with King Cobra's, they called me mad!

Well it would be mad.

Cobras can crawl into all sorts of small places...even into drain pipes and sewers, and potentially come out of yer toilet!!

At least wolves can be seen and heard at all times. And btw...they are afraid of humans anyway and only dangerous if in packs.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

The polar bears will all need a new home soon. They could also help keep the wolf population under control.