Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spot the owl.

Posted

Wibs and I visited Ullswater back on October 1st and each took similar shots from the pier at Pooley Bridge. Today Wobs phoned and suggested I take a close look at my shots because she thought we'd captured something faily special. I looked at mine, and after a few clues I saw it too.

There's an owl in this picture somewhere - where is it and what sort of owl is it?

(I'm using Wabs photo, not because it's better than mine, but because my photos aren't on this computer. Weps isn't a better photographer than me...ok?)

post-717-1198171317_thumb.jpg

Posted

Could be a Brown Fish Owl (its perched on the pole at the end of the pier) having successfully escaped from The World Owl Trusts sanctuary at Muncaster Castle

Edited by Coast

I reckon (fairly certain actually!) that's a Long Eared Owl. They are an extremely rare sight. Never seen one before. Very nocturnal. That really is extremely special if you've captured it on film.

If I'm wrong can I point out how hard it is to see! Wonderful picture though, and such lovely birds (if you're not a mouse).

(Oh it's on the pole on the pier).

Edited by La Nina

Posted

Ahhh, taking a second look, I can see it more clearly now, it's in that boat behind Wibs's cat!!!

post-6667-1198175641_thumb.jpg

It looks like a tawny from here, and the guitar is a Yamaha.......

Posted

I would agree with Richard. You can see the ear tufts reasonably well.

post-5517-1198176021_thumb.jpg

Edited by Greyowl

It looks like a tawny from here, and the guitar is a Yamaha.......

It can't be a tawny unless the 2 things protuding from its head are antennae, or OON has played with photoshop.. There's only 2 British owls with protuding ears: the Long eared and Short eared, and those are far too long and too wide apart to be the latter.

So unless my eyes deceive me about the ears it can only be the Long Eared owl.

Edited by La Nina

Posted
It can't be a tawny unless the 2 things protruding from its head are antennae, or OON has played with photoshop.. There's only 2 British owls with protruding ears are the Long eared and Short eared, and those are far too long and too wide apart to be the latter.

So unless my eyes deceive me about the ears it can only be the Long Eared owl.

Ok, Ok, but the cat is definitely ginger isn't it?

Posted
Don't use the word ginger.

I think PP's right. It's a Buzzard.

Never seen a Buzzard with ear tufts OON

post-5517-1198178783_thumb.jpg

Maybe they have mutant ones from around sellafield up your way.

Edited by Greyowl

Go on OON bring yourself to tell the truth however painful! 'Tis a long-eared owl ... at least it is if it's an owl! And it looks like one.

Lovely pic by the way.

p.s. It could be an eagle owl actually! Which isn't an owl of course. The reason I'm doubtful is that it doesn't look big enough.

Edited by La Nina

Posted
Go on OON bring yourself to tell the truth however painful! 'Tis a long-eared owl ... at least it is if it's an owl! And it looks like one.

Lovely pic by the way.

p.s. It could be an eagle owl actually! Which isn't an owl of course. The reason I'm doubtful is that it doesn't look big enough.

ITS A BUZZARD!!!

FOR **** SAKE.

B)

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
I went to Muncaster Castle a few weeks ago and they've got an Owlery (or whatever it's called). They had some Eagle Owls. They looked a lot more like owls than they did eagles.

I shall try to gauge the height of the bird once I've had my hotpot.

I'm still smiling lol. I can't believe we didn't spot it when we were taking the photos!

Yes well I assume OON had his eye on another bird. Boom boom. Seriously though, with scenery like that and a motionless bird, it would be easy to miss.

What time of day was it? Looks late (or v early), which would corroborate the long-eared owl idea.

Just looked up eagle owls on that source of all, er, dependable knowledge wikipedia. Interestingly they seem to be becoming established in the UK http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_Eagle_Owl

Big bird ... but then maybe this was? That's quite a distance away I think?

Edited by La Nina

The photos were taken just before 6pm on October 1st.

Here's a website to give you an idea of the pier length... http://www.visitcumbria.com/pen/pooleybridge.htm.

Having been sure it's a long eared owl it could possibly be an eagle owl then. 6pm 1st Oct would be just right for a long-eared though ... it really must be one of those two with the ears.

I'm no expert on birds, but we do have a passion for owls. We have a pair of barn owls nesting each year. Fab.

Ok... nobody google Pooley Bridge pier owl.

ROFL!!!

You know ... I was writing a post in which I asked if it wasn't a piece of local scupltor. Then I thought it would only annoy OON.

Did you know this before the thread? If so you're both dead :lol:

Edited by La Nina