Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Davis Vantage Pro2 Cabled on order

Posted

I've recently placed an order for a Davis VP2 Cabled weather station. Very excited about it, always been into the weather but never been organised enough to record it! Being a farmer I really should do better and hopefully I soon will. I will be stting up live weather using the data logger when I get myself organised so any one near me in Watchet Somerset UK will be able to get some live readings!

I was wondering if anyone can give me some good advice on location for the sensor suite. Clearly the temp wants to be out of the sun, but the anenometer and the rain guage need to be free from obstruction. Anyone got any good ideas, bearing in mind I've gone for the cabled machine and the restrictions that brings.

Is the computer software easy to use - I want to link it to my existing farming website. Will this be easy to do? It will be useful also because we have family all around the world who will be able to check on our weather 24/7.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

MD

Posted

I used to have a cabled VP2 and you can extend the cables a long way, so the only real limiting factor is the route the cable takes...making sure it doesn't get driven over etc.

As for the siting of the sensor suite, I wouldn't worry at all about placing it in the sun as the radiation shield is really pretty effective and on all but the calmest days it ensures enough air is being blown over the sensor to prevent it heating up too much. In fact, making sure it's in the open and has good air circulation is more important than keeping it out of the sun I'd say. You also ensure the rain gauge isn't sheltered so your rainfall amounts are correct.

I set my system up about 4 years ago now and the computer system was easy I seem to recall. You just install the software, plug the data logger into the console, connect it to the computer and go through a step by step set-up process. Getting that information onto a website is a bit more tricky, but if I can manage it....

I've recently placed an order for a Davis VP2 Cabled weather station.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

MD

MD,

I've just bought a cabled Vantage Pro 2 as well (thanks Mr. Osbourne One-Nil!). It looks as good as everyone has been saying.

After much consideration I have decided to put the ISS on a post in the garden. It's not ideal because it is not really far enough away from the house, but it is a compromise. I figured that maintenance will get done (clearing debris etc) only if it is easy to access. I had considered the roof, but it would a) be difficult to get to and :doh: if it fell on someone it would really hurt. The anenometer is going on the roof on a 1m pole attached to a ridge tile.

The cables from the ISS are going in some conduit from the bottom of the post to a drainpipe, then up the drainpipe into the loft, then down inside the airing cupboard, through the wall to the console. The anenometer cable will go under the ridge tile and into the loft, then to the ISS with the other cable.

One strange thing I noticed while testing the system indoors was that the inside and outside temperatures read differently, even though they were in the same place. The difference was about 2.5 degrees C, which I have now compensated, and they seem to match now. Perhaps you could try this experiment with your system?

Cheers,

Garth.

Posted
MD,

I've just bought a cabled Vantage Pro 2 as well (thanks Mr. Osbourne One-Nil!). It looks as good as everyone has been saying.

After much consideration I have decided to put the ISS on a post in the garden. It's not ideal because it is not really far enough away from the house, but it is a compromise. I figured that maintenance will get done (clearing debris etc) only if it is easy to access. I had considered the roof, but it would a) be difficult to get to and :doh: if it fell on someone it would really hurt. The anenometer is going on the roof on a 1m pole attached to a ridge tile.

The cables from the ISS are going in some conduit from the bottom of the post to a drainpipe, then up the drainpipe into the loft, then down inside the airing cupboard, through the wall to the console. The anenometer cable will go under the ridge tile and into the loft, then to the ISS with the other cable.

One strange thing I noticed while testing the system indoors was that the inside and outside temperatures read differently, even though they were in the same place. The difference was about 2.5 degrees C, which I have now compensated, and they seem to match now. Perhaps you could try this experiment with your system?

Cheers,

Garth.

Does the anenometer come with it's own cable and if so are they pretty long? Is there anywhere anyone can suggest to get some extension cables? Do extension cables affect the reradings at all?

Does the anenometer come with it's own cable and if so are they pretty long? Is there anywhere anyone can suggest to get some extension cables? Do extension cables affect the reradings at all?

It comes with its own cable (12m I think) which has to go to the ISS. You then need another cable from the ISS to the console (I think this is 30m).

Cheers,

Garth