Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

January C.E.T

Kentish Man

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Tricky call, could see the Scandi high re-appear again this month but the potential for another easterly won't be enough to avert a slightly above average month:

4.9C

Posted

OK, my CET punt for January 2008. I'm going for a generally mild month with a couple of cold snaps. My final punt is;

4.8C

:)

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

last change 3.9C

Posted

Temp: 1.5c

Precip: 50%

Very hard call to make - wish I could make the prediction in a couple of days since it's not totally clear whether the block to the East will hold out there or not. Anyway here goes:

I suspect that given the size of the block and the tendency for lower heights in Eastern Siberia, this block is not going to go too far - basically I think we are looking at a North Westwards displacement of the normal Siberian High during early January - this block should transfer towards Greenland later in the month as the jet begins to die with atlantic temperatures continuing to cool. If this pattern holds true, then we're looking at a very cold January - with the potential for snow at times, but also milder periods early in the month before the jet dies a little and the cold really takes over.

Now the East winds are likely to be as cold as they've always been, but we also have to take into account the warm atlantic cycle - so any westerly spells early in the month will be milder than would otherwise be expected.

My CET prediction is therefore 1.5c - but if we get an extreme easterly outbreak (eg Feb 91/Jan 87) which is possible, then we could go lower. It's just possible of course that the block collapses completely after this weekend - in which case my forecast could be well out - but I think this is probably a decreasing possibility given the recent trend in the ECM model.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

I'll go for a

4.6C

please.

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Is it possible to change my original punt ,{my original punt was 4. 75c] and put me down for 2.5c instead please

( i dont usually change but i was a bit hasty with my original punt}

nigel

Edited by stormchaser1

Posted

hmmm difficult call, GFS says briefly colder followed by more Atlantic stuff but becoming less Zonal at times with the HP appearing again to the east but whether we get any trully cold air is open to question and as we had an incredibly mild one last time that won't be the case again (I hope). So I'll say around 4.9C. - so slightly above average!

Posted
after 5 mins of thought im going for 4.0c

not sure why the size didn't work? anyway to avoid confussion its 4.0c for me

Try highlighting the text first then select the size from the "Sizes" drop down menu.

Posted

The polar vortex is still anchored to the north-west, so aside from the early cold spell its looking mild to me overall. I dont think we can rule out another spell similar to mid-December though, so Im going for:

5.4C

Posted
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem

4.3 please :)

ooops, edited to change font size without thinking... hope this still counts

Edited by ned

Posted

4.2 for me.

Cold start - cool mid term followed by a stormy mild spell and then a very quiet frosty end.