Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

NOAA WEATHER SATS

mettalfabrik

Posted

I am currently trying to decode NOAA apt pictures using various bits of software i.ve nicked off the net,and a scanner that can tune to the 137mhz band

has anybody else on this forum tried this, if so i will be grateful of any tips

Posted

The software Mondy suggests is good.

There are several problems you may encounter. The main one being bleedover from paging signals. They are a real pain in the butt. The other major problem is line of sight. The higher you can get the antenna, the longer and clearer the signal will be..

The bandwidth needs to be wideband on your receiver due to the extra data the satellites transmit. You will however receive a basic picture on narrow band. Use narrowband if you have problems with the pager services as you will get a clearer picture.

You can build a simple cross dipole antenna for next to nothing but I built a double helix out of 8mm copper pipe, as it gives a better response to the circular polarisation of the satellite signal for £20.. I'll post some data on the construction if you want..

You could use a preamp to boost the signal but if you have a pager services transmitter close by, then you will wreck the whole band you need, as pager services use 138MHz. You will certainly struggle with NOAA17 at 137.925MHz regardless..

Posted

Thanks guys useful info there

pottyprof i get no cross over from paging down here so thats no prob and the scanner has NFM FM WFM the best audible sigx being FM using a programme called WXSAT decoding and ATPDECODER mostly for tracking updated with the latest keps,defo getting something down but not quite good enough yet, my guess is as you point out is the antenna

so i would be grateful if you posted that up ,as im using a dipole made from tv antenna cut to mid airband length

ps i thought noaa17 137.62mhz

nice link http://www.noaa-apt.com/aptdecoder/daily/i....12.24-23:31:13

oh yes a very merry christmas to you and every one on net weather, you have taught me a lot this past year

thanks

Bryan

Edited by blackdown

Posted

Bryan. Have a look at discone antennas.

http://www.moonrakerukltd.com/shop.php?cat_select=31

Excellent shop. Buy any discone (even the cheapest) and hoist it up in the air.

I'm not sure if you stay in a flat/semi or detached though. If semi or detached, attach to appex of house/chimney or roof etc, with fine, good coax cable back into the scanner. If you look closely at this piccie, you'll see the discone I use for VHF (receiving and transmitting!) on the appex

A preamp is ok, but as the name suggests, it can amplify "other" signals, making the decoding even worse.

If you need a preamp, however, i have one here - it's yours if you want it. Haven't used it for a couple years, but i know it works fine. The reason i don't need it is because the discone works a treat ;)

Posted

thanks colin i think i will have to get a discone as i like a lot of different comms listening

its very kind of you to offer the pre-amp it may well help as i live in a valley, PM me and we will sort something out

by the way my dipole is mounted in much the same place

thanks very much

bryan

Posted

the above image is in its raw state with no editing and was recieved on the 1248GMT AOS PASS OF NOAA18 on 137.100mhz fm as i can only tune in 5khz steps and there is the doppler effect which causes the the rx to vary as the satellite passes over,all in all i am pretty pleased with it being a complete newbie at this as well

big up to mondy

got some more passes at 1650gmt and 2045gmt these will be SN PASSES and at night which may give me different results

Edited by blackdown

Posted

latest try, gonna have to get discone antenna up hi i think, plus volume control is very important its the differance between nothing or a pic

in this raw image and circled is denmark

Edited by blackdown

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

had a good pass from NOAA 18

i get the pass info here

http://www.n2yo.com/?s=25544

and this is what it looks like with the proper gear

http://www.wightweather.co.uk/aptpictures....8.1.27-13:27:18

and here is my go,not bad with a homemade dipole in horizontal